My first truck gun...

Nestor

I was always intrigued by the idea of a beater that can take on any task, but didn't came across anything cheap enough (and in good condition) to take a bite.

Disclaimer: I don't have a truck yet...but maybe I will buy one in the future (tight budget nowadays).

I was thinking about something with a bit of a punch. Like 30-06 or 308. Bolt action with the iron sights fed via the stripper clip option or the 4-5 round magazine. VERY inexpensive. Literally I've seen nothing like that for years that would fit this description (except Mosins maybe). Usually that kind of stuff costs hundreds of dollars. Even the milsurplus rifles became so expensive that I can't afford most of them those days. However I came across this ugly duckling that nobody wanted to buy. Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 sporter with the cut down barrel (just in front of the front sight post).

Flaking wood. Forend wiggling sideways. Butt stock loose with the brass plate that was misfit to the wood. Surface rust with two light pitting spots, despite overall decent finish. No wonder there were o takers...

However the bore was excellent. The bolt head was stamped with number 1 (lot of life left there). The iron sights were better than on most of the modern rifles and it's .303

It is a hard hitting round and the magazine takes 10 with the stripper clip feeding option.

I paid under $200 US for this thing. Gunsmith verified the head space as excellent....so.

I removed the rusty finish and started working on the wood. As I found out the forend was wiggly because nobody felt like filling the cut made for the rear stock band. The butt stock was dry and dancing all over the receiver's socket. This is being addressed as I'm writing it. No more rust anywhere and it will be painted with the BBQ heat resistant black, flat paint. It looks kinda promising...

More to come.

Edited by Nestor
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Nestor said:

I was always intrigued by the idea of a beater that can take on any task, but didn't came across anything cheap enough (and in good condition) to take a bite.

Disclaimer: I don't have a truck yet...but maybe I will buy one in the future (tight budget nowadays).

I was thinking about something with a bit of a punch. Like 30-06 or 308. Bolt action with the iron sights fed via the stripper clip option or the 4-5 round magazine. VERY inexpensive. Literally I've seen nothing like that for years that would fit this description (except Mosins maybe). Usually that kind of stuff costs hundreds of dollars. Even the milsurplus rifles became so expensive that I can't afford most of them those days. However I came across this ugly duckling that nobody wanted to buy. Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 sporter with the cut down barrel (just in front of the front sight post).

Flaking wood. Forend wiggling sideways. Butt stock loose with the brass plate that was misfit to the wood. Surface rust with two light pitting spots, despite overall decent finish. No wonder there were o takers...

However the bore was excellent. The bolt head was stamped with number 1 (lot of life left there). The iron sights were better than on most of the modern rifles and it's .303

It is a hard hitting round and the magazine takes 10 with the stripper clip feeding option.

I paid under $200 US for this thing. Gunsmith verified the head space as excellent....so.

I removed the rusty finish and started working on the wood. As I found out the forend was wiggly because nobody felt like filling the cut made for the rear stock band. The butt stock was dry and dancing all over the receiver's socket. This is being addressed as I'm writing it. No more rust anywhere and it will be painted with the BBQ heat resistant black, flat paint. It looks kinda promising...

More to come.

Lookin forward to some pictures.

• Like 1

The memory card in our camera has a very little space (it's like 12 years old now)...so it was all reserved for my Daugther's graduation ceremony...and I have no "before" pictures. It looked quite terrible honestly. Here are some shots from the basement.

The bore

ePs7CrH.jpg

Front sight

aG6BE1I.jpg

Receiver with all the small parts removed (except for the trigger group) for painting

g0cKnRo.jpg

arLRoY6.jpg

63AgWv8.jpg

Magazine

8lhqbDl.jpg

Wood (second coat of oil) lot of sanding before that...

0OKBtNQ.jpg

zP8At2w.jpg

I've got myself a spare, complete bolt with the bolt head #2 for $35 US and some small parts...just in case.

Total investment is like $250 US right now.

Edited by Nestor
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...