Anyone else use a single-shot?

Valmet

Recently acquired a New England Firearms SB-2 .243 that I plan on taking into the deer woods this fall. It's light, simple and very accurate. In the past I've hunted with a Winchester 94 30-30 and a Weatherby Accumark and while both are excellent rifles, I'm happy with the SB-2. 

Anyone else like the old break-open single-shots? 

• Like 1

I’ve got some .22s and a .22 Hornet break actions. Great small game guns. I had an original Remington Rolling Block in 45-70 that was just not fun to shoot. 

I also have a Ruger #1 falling block in 416 Rigby. Haven’t hunted with it but I love shooting it. In the current situation I’m reserving it for engine blocks. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I’ve got some .22s and a .22 Hornet break actions. Great small game guns. I had an original Remington Rolling Block in 45-70 that was just not fun to shoot. 

I also have a Ruger #1 falling block in 416 Rigby. Haven’t hunted with it but I love shooting it. In the current situation I’m reserving it for engine blocks. 

A .22 Hornet in a break-action single-shot sounds awesome- the .416 sounds tooth-rattling. 

1 hour ago, Valmet said:

A .22 Hornet in a break-action single-shot sounds awesome- the .416 sounds tooth-rattling. 

The 416 is not too bad. Not a sharp kick. More of a long hard push. If you Just roll back with it, it is very manageable. Plant your rear foot, let the gun rise and your torso rock back. Eject the case on the down roll. Plant your front foot and reload. My 300 Win was more painful. 

17 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

The 416 is not too bad. Not a sharp kick. More of a long hard push. If you Just roll back with it, it is very manageable. Plant your rear foot, let the gun rise and your torso rock back. Eject the case on the down roll. Plant your front foot and reload. My 300 Win was more painful. 

I've shot a handful of the big bores but nothing recoils like a .378 Wby Mag IMO. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, Batesmotel said:

416 Rigby.  I read many articles in the gun magazines growing up.  Always wanted a Ruger #1 and in 416.  What the hell I ever would have done with it I don't know but it is still in my mind just to shoot one some day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DrB said:

416 Rigby.  I read many articles in the gun magazines growing up.  Always wanted a Ruger #1 and in 416.  What the hell I ever would have done with it I don't know but it is still in my mind just to shoot one some day.

Buying a gun for the sake of owning it is the axiom of gun "collecting." Now get out there and get yourself a .416

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Valmet said:

Buying a gun for the sake of owning it is the axiom of gun "collecting." Now get out there and get yourself a .416

Thanks.....  All I need is another fix....  I need to join a Guns Anomous group.. I always wanted a Ruger #1Tropical. Please don't tell .me they made that version in .416.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Valmet said:

Well just thanks.... The dealer is a ffl with a lot of common guns in his hand. But the pusher is a monster, he has the exotic guns..  My god..he's not a natural  man. To borrow Steppenwolf lyrics. 

I'm just joking with you...

But now you got me thinking........  

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 11:31 AM, Batesmotel said:

What bullets for engine blocks? Hard cast wheel weight or...

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, Valmet said:

Recently acquired a New England Firearms SB-2 .243 that I plan on taking into the deer woods this fall. It's light, simple and very accurate. In the past I've hunted with a Winchester 94 30-30 and a Weatherby Accumark and while both are excellent rifles, I'm happy with the SB-2. 

Anyone else like the old break-open single-shots? 

dup

Edited by Jack Ryan
duplicate
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, Swampfox762 said:

Only single shot I've got is my Slingshot, and I Love that little thing!!  :greensupergrin::anim_lol:

Slingshot Catapult Hunting High Quality Stainless Steel with Rubber Band +  Mud Ball Outdoor Shooting Game Sling Shot Set | Wish

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNP1XDY?tag=saout121-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Between this, and my Air Soft .45 I shoot in the back yard 2-3 times a week, surprised I haven't been visited by the Sheriff.  Must have half way cool neighbors...

Just love shootin this thing with Dirt balls!!  Thing's Bad A$$!!:cool:

Edited by Swampfox762