An old man I know is dying, a neighbor.

3 hours ago, Zonny said:

Problem is, unless you’re tested daily, you don’t know if you have it or not. I don’t think any of us are going to avoid it. It’s just a matter of when. 

I have been avoiding people literally like the plague. Neighbors had a big party yesterday. Even had a DJ. Lots of whooping it up. I could have attended, but didn't. I think they're all hung over this morning. No activity there yet. I've been enjoying coffee on the deck listening to the jungle sounds in the forest behind the house.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have been avoiding people literally like the plague. Neighbors had a big party yesterday. Even had a DJ. Lots of whooping it up. I could have attended, but didn't. I think they're all hung over this morning. No activity there yet. I've been enjoying coffee on the deck listening to the jungle sounds in the forest behind the house.

Good call. I've been doing much the same. I don't even go to the grocery. Kids have been doing my shopping or I'm ordering Costco online for most non-perishables. Not exactly what I would have asked for once I was able to retire, but I'll take it for now in hopes that I get to enjoy it sometime down the road. Still hoping to make a trip up North next month but I'm prepared mentally for that not happening. Afraid with our numbers increasing the way they are, we will not be welcome :( A few states have put us on their 86'd list. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Zonny said:

Good call. I've been doing much the same. I don't even go to the grocery. Kids have been doing my shopping or I'm ordering Costco online for most non-perishables. Not exactly what I would have asked for once I was able to retire, but I'll take it for now in hopes that I get to enjoy it sometime down the road. Still hoping to make a trip up North next month but I'm prepared mentally for that not happening. Afraid with our numbers increasing the way they are, we will not be welcome :( A few states have put us on their 86'd list. 

Case numbers have jumped here since things started opening back up.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Talked with the son a bit ago. Dr's are saying the old man has anywhere from a few days to a month. Son thinks he will hang on for months now that they have him eating and taking his meds.

some People are Independent even to the end.

they Pass when they are Good and Ready to and no time sooner.

its Good to have time to make peace and settle your Estate.

and always a chance to Bounce back.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, Walt Longmire said:

Ain't it great to have all that partying out of your old bones?  I find myself sitting outside in a lawn chair watching the Sun come up while drinking my second or third cup of coffee sometimes.  It's so quiet with all the heavy hitters passed out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2020 at 3:33 PM, Walt Longmire said:

Talked with the son a bit ago. Dr's are saying the old man has anywhere from a few days to a month. Son thinks he will hang on for months now that they have him eating and taking his meds.

Is the son going to be able to stay awhile?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Just a couple weeks. But I'm thinking if the old man keels over, that could change.

You’re going to have to use GPS to get home if that corner gets cleaned up. You’ll be losing your ‘lighthouse’. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

He folded his hand and cashed in his chips on the 3rd. I spoke with his son and nephew today at his place. I had been wondering how he was doing. They didn't want to spread the word that he was gone in an attempt to keep the scavengers away from his place. The son will be back to take over the property in a few months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 6/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, Walt Longmire said:

Talked to the son this morning. Old man can't have ANY visitors due to Covid. No, he doesn't have covid. Neither does the son, or I. If he gets listed as critical he can supposedly have visitors. Don't know if that would only be family. Well, I have fibbed about family connections before to visit someone. Guess I could do it again.

Frequently friendships are more important than family............  Not saying much for family.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Absolutely!  I believe the measure of a "man" is how he deals with his certain demise.........

I should have added,  that knowing you will die, should make you realize that that death should have some value to others.  Not that they are better off without you, but that the living have somehow benefitted from you being there.

Yes, I really do believe this crap!!!!!

• Like 3

On 6/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, Wrango said:

Ain't it great to have all that partying out of your old bones?  I find myself sitting outside in a lawn chair watching the Sun come up while drinking my second or third cup of coffee sometimes.  It's so quiet with all the heavy hitters passed out.

I'm that way at 34!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

He folded his hand and cashed in his chips on the 3rd. I spoke with his son and nephew today at his place. I had been wondering how he was doing. They didn't want to spread the word that he was gone in an attempt to keep the scavengers away from his place. The son will be back to take over the property in a few months.

May he rest in peace, you are a good friend, the world needs more men like the two of you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1