Atlanta Police Officers Shot and Killed DUI Suspect in Fast Food Parking Lot

pipedreams

10 hours ago, PPQer said:

If it was one officer, maybe so.  I'm guessing most people who blindly support police will say a taser can take out multiple cops at once, and thus every cop in the city was at risk.  Realistically there were two cops there, and theoretically, one was there to shoot when the suspect actually laid hands on the others gun. 

Cops are trained not to take that chance and shoot first at any hint of trouble, gotta go home safe you know, but that might be changing in the future.  They may actually be expected to take that chance before shooting.  

You'll have fewer cops and they'll be less qualified if that change happens.  The more competent ones will have other options and exercise them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the things i hope will come out of this is stop using the police for things besides...policing.

As it is now you have to be everyone's friend, shrink, doctor, warrior, emt., race car driver, step-parent, social worker, teacher...whatever else you can think of.

Some of us just want to put bad guys in jail.

Although chili judge isn't a bad job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Historian said:

This could have been solved by just being cooperative.

AND....therein lies the Problem.  There is NO Respect for authority and the rule of law anymore! 

Almost every Black, Latino, or Red Neck that I've ever seen get his or her ass beat by the police, got their own ass in that situation because they mouthed of, or had NO RESPECT for the police or Refused to follow the commands of Law Enforcement!!

It's REAL simple people.  In our society there has to be someone you can call when "stuff" goes south so to speak.  That someone is the LAW.  Police, Sheriff, game warden...these people come to help when normal people feel threatened or in fear for their lives or property.

Sorry....in our present day society the cops are suppose to be and generally are the force of reason that can help 2 fighting neighbors bring things down a notch or two BECAUSE they ARE looked at AS the Authority!

As long as you treat Law Enforcement with no respect and back your ass up in the air when you have an interaction with Law Enforcement...I hope ya DO get your ass beat by the Police!!!

Try backin your mouthy ass up to a Judge in a court room.  See how that works out for ya.  "Attitude" has consequences...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

AND....therein lies the Problem.  There is NO Respect for authority and the rule of law anymore! 

Almost every Black, Latino, or Red Neck that I've ever seen get his or her ass beat by the police, got their own ass in that situation because they mouthed of, or had NO RESPECT for the police or Refused to follow the commands of Law Enforcement!!

It's REAL simple people.  In our society there has to be someone you can call when "stuff" goes south so to speak.  That someone is the LAW.  Police, Sheriff, game warden...these people come to help when normal people feel threatened or in fear for their lives or property.

Sorry....in our present day society the cops are suppose to be and generally are the force of reason that can help 2 fighting neighbors bring things down a notch or two BECAUSE they ARE looked at AS the Authority!

As long as you treat Law Enforcement with no respect and back your ass up in the air when you have an interaction with Law Enforcement...I hope ya DO get your ass beat by the Police!!!

Try backin your mouthy ass up to a Judge in a court room.  See how that works out for ya.  "Attitude" has consequences...

I have said before. 

Years ago I was stopped by two policemen with  guns drawn on me.  I did what I was told to do.  They didn't let me out of their sights till we discussed what happened, and realized that I wasn't the threat they thought I was, and I did something that I didn't realize they would perceive as a threat.

Nothing happened, we discussed the situation and agreed that there was no problem.  I wasn't shot, I didn't attack anyone and everyone was amicable.  I left peaceably.

Trouble comes when you create it yourself!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

They didn't let me out of their sights till we discussed what happened, and realized that I wasn't the threat they thought I was, and I did something that I didn't realize they would perceive as a threat.

Like you and Swamp said.  There's a total lack of respect and civility that has created part of this issue.

I got stopped about 1 AM coming home from work one night.  The deputy was looking for a burglar who happened to drive a very similar truck as mine.

Took him about 10 seconds to realize i was not the dude he was looking for.

But given his approach:   I'd have done pretty much anything he said.  

He no man to tangle with.   Polite.  But he made his presence known.  Glad he's on our side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Try backin your mouthy ass up to a Judge in a court room.  See how that works out for ya.  "Attitude"

Speak your mind but be respectful.     But show your backside and you'll be washing patrol cars and doing prison laundry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Speak your mind but be respectful.     But show your backside and you'll be washing patrol cars and doing prison laundry.

And for the record at our local jail they use salad tongs on that laundry.  Prison laundry is nasssssttyyy...

The stuff of nightmares.

For crying out loud people.  Even if your a criminal...use soap!  Lots of soap!  On you and your clothes.

Have mercy!

• Like 3

My wife just introduced me to Officer Tatum.

https://twitter.com/TheOfficerTatum?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Looking over his videos and twitter and later his "store."

Someone who actually speaks clearly and knows not everyone is bad.

Reminds me of Cpl. Thomas.  One of the most profound influences on my life was as dark as this text.  But a man of higher quality, sound judgement, bravery are few and far between.

As a cadet at the police academy he rode me like Willy Shoemaker road a horse.   He made me a better man.   And for the thousands of pushups me made us endure but he enjoyed. I swear he could win a war with gravity.  Maybe it was easy because he pushed the earth away from him.

I Christmas treed the ever living hell out of his doctoral dissertation.  :)

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Historian said:

My wife just introduced me to Officer Tatum.

https://twitter.com/TheOfficerTatum?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Looking over his videos and twitter and later his "store."

Someone who actually speaks clearly and knows not everyone is bad.

Reminds me of Cpl. Thomas.  One of the most profound influences on my life was as dark as this text.  But a man of higher quality, sound judgement, bravery are few and far between.

As a cadet at the police academy he rode me like Willy Shoemaker road a horse.   He made me a better man.   And for the thousands of pushups me made us endure but he enjoyed. I swear he could win a war with gravity.  Maybe it was easy because he pushed the earth away from him.

I Christmas treed the ever living hell out of his doctoral dissertation.  :)

From the article:  

We need citizen reform more than police reform.

UXcSYgj8_x96.jpg

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, PPQer said:

They spotted "The Torch".  I hope she sees her picture online and has to look over her shoulder until they come and get her.  $20k to the person who drops the dime.

Probably can find her at an all you can graze buffet.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:04 AM, Historian said:

One of the things i hope will come out of this is stop using the police for things besides...policing.

As it is now you have to be everyone's friend, shrink, doctor, warrior, emt., race car driver, step-parent, social worker, teacher...whatever else you can think of.

Some of us just want to put bad guys in jail.

Although chili judge isn't a bad job.

Same issue with public school teachers.  I got out of that gig after a year because I just wanted to teach.  I didn't want to be an step-parent, social worker, administrator, parole officer, policeman, DEA agent, etc.  I might be willing to be the pie judge, though.

51 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I might be willing to be the pie judge, though.

Ha!  I was a pie judge on March 14 of this year.

The pecan pie should have won but there were two other judges and one of them...is oddly against pecans.

A finer pie i am unaware of. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Historian said:

Ha!  I was a pie judge on March 14 of this year.

The pecan pie should have won but there were two other judges and one of them...is oddly against pecans.

A finer pie i am unaware of. 

The only pie finer than pecan is rhubarb.  Everything else is just second place.

46 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

The only pie finer than pecan is rhubarb.  Everything else is just second place.

Ma'am, I've not had a slice of rhubarb in years.

Now there's a memory.   A good one.

Mmmm....I think the last time i had a slice of rhubarb pie...was about 10 years ago.  I was working in another county as a deputy and...we had lunch at a little hole in the wall diner.  It's still there.

But they were famous for their deserts...and forget lunch.  Two slices of pie and cups of coffee will do.

They had a coconut cream pie that could start a peaceful march.

Edited by Historian
  • Haha 1