Atlanta Police Officers Shot and Killed DUI Suspect in Fast Food Parking Lot

pipedreams

Here we go again....................

? Officers were responding to a complaint of a man in a vehicle parked in the drive-thru who was asleep, causing customers to drive around the vehicle.
?After he failed a field sobriety test, the officers attempted to place the man into custody, according to the GBI. But he resisted and a struggle ensued, leading the officer to deploy a Taser.
? The GBI said witnesses saw the man grab the Taser away from the officer.
? “It has also been reported that the male subject was shot by an officer in the struggle over the Taser,” the GBI said in a statement. ?
? The man was transported to a local hospital where he died after surgery, the statement said. The GBI later identified him as 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks of Atlanta.
https://time.com/5853218/atlanta-police-kill-dui-susp

• Like 1

How to avoid gettin shot by da Po-leees.

A.  Don't do illegal crap.

B.  If you get choose to do illegal crap and get caught, own it and take your medicine.  

C.  There will be plenty of folks in the joint that will be happy fight you.  Save your fight for the joint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Here we go again....................

? Officers were responding to a complaint of a man in a vehicle parked in the drive-thru who was asleep, causing customers to drive around the vehicle.
?After he failed a field sobriety test, the officers attempted to place the man into custody, according to the GBI. But he resisted and a struggle ensued, leading the officer to deploy a Taser.
? The GBI said witnesses saw the man grab the Taser away from the officer.
? “It has also been reported that the male subject was shot by an officer in the struggle over the Taser,” the GBI said in a statement. ?
? The man was transported to a local hospital where he died after surgery, the statement said. The GBI later identified him as 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks of Atlanta.
https://time.com/5853218/atlanta-police-kill-dui-susp

Fighting over a weapon...……………..

3 hours ago, Historian said:

Turn a taser on a cop it's only reasonable to think...you're going to use it...and that is a deadly force situation.

Indeed.  If it incapacitates the officer it clearly leaves the officer unable to defend against a gun grab.

• Thanks 1

Sure looks and sounds like a justified shooting to me.  But the Atlanta city government is of course throwing the involved officers to the wolves.

Police are apparently supposed to allow blacks to do whatever they want to,  without interfering with them in any way.  

I am totally disgusted with the current insanity.   A storm is coming. 

• Thanks 3

I’m just south of Atlanta. Our neighbor called at just after 3 am. Seems our lake was chosen as the scene for a potential ‘demonstration’ (mostly peaceful riot). For some reason the police decided in front of my house was a good place to stage. There were at least six cop cars. I thanked my neighbor and went back to sleep. Mossberg, AR, 870, and 1911 were all loaded already. This morning it’s quiet.

The lake was probably a bad choice, water doesn’t burn, there’s nothing to loot and it’s hard to hide on a beach.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Body camera footage from Officer Garrett Rolfe and Officer Devin Brosan were released by the Atlanta Police Department on Saturday.

The footage clearly shows Atlanta police officers behaving respectfully and doing everything they were supposed to do.

arrest-rayshard-600x372.jpg

Lot's pictures and video at link if this is legit.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/06/update-full-bodycam-video-reveals-atlanta-police-patient-respectful-rayshard-brooks-video/

Edited by pipedreams
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gunboat1 said:

Sure looks and sounds like a justified shooting to me.  But the Atlanta city government is of course throwing the involved officers to the wolves.

Police are apparently supposed to allow blacks to do whatever they want to,  without interfering with them in any way.  

I am totally disgusted with the current insanity.   A storm is coming. 

I think some folks don't realize a Taser isn't like your average "stun gun" and that it actually renders a person incapable of moving when the probes are deployed.  It's a legitimate threat to your life when you're a PO with a pistol strapped to your hip.  We are trained to handcuff a suspect while the Taser is still delivering the electric current incapacitating them since they can't resist.  

If you're the PO on the receiving end this is a huge safety concern, since you are defenseless against a gun grab.  If the knuckle head grabbed the Taser, why wouldn't he go after the pistol next?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, jk_226 said:

I think some folks don't realize a Taser isn't like your average "stun gun" and that it actually renders a person incapable of moving when the probes are deployed.  It's a legitimate threat to your life when you're a PO with a pistol strapped to your hip.  We are trained to handcuff a suspect while the Taser is still delivering the electric current incapacitating them since they can't resist.  

If you're the PO on the receiving end this is a huge safety concern, since you are defenseless against a gun grab.  If the knuckle head grabbed the Taser, why wouldn't he go after the pistol next?

I would bet that dept policy recognizes that.  But dewd wuz hongry main.

• Sad 1

It’s dark, you’ve just been hammered by this guy, he’s taken a taser, big adrenaline dump, he’s turning and pointing it at you, maybe life and death decision and you’ve got less than a second. What are you going to do? Hope he’ll be satisfied with tasing you and run off? I think the officer made the best of a bad situation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

It’s dark, you’ve just been hammered by this guy, he’s taken a taser, big adrenaline dump, he’s turning and pointing it at you, maybe life and death decision and you’ve got less than a second. What are you going to do? Hope he’ll be satisfied with tasing you and run off? I think the officer made the best of a bad situation.

In the officer's position,. I would do no different!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Welcome to the 14th amendment.   What constitutes a reasonable action by a police officer at the exact moment the incident happened.

This was covered in the 1980s at the supreme court.

Graham v. Connor, 490 U.S. 386 (1989), was a United States Supreme Court case where the Court determined that an objective reasonableness standard should apply to a civilian's claim that law enforcement officials used excessive force in the course of making an arrest, investigatory stop, or other "seizure" of his person.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Objectivity is becoming a rarer commodity these days.

Janice, given the wonderful and curious and sometimes plain wrong computer generated images we see...i would agree.

If you take a picture of me in the right way in the right light....you could caption that meme with, "Oh my God, I just bit my thumb off!"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

If it was one officer, maybe so.  I'm guessing most people who blindly support police will say a taser can take out multiple cops at once, and thus every cop in the city was at risk.  Realistically there were two cops there, and theoretically, one was there to shoot when the suspect actually laid hands on the others gun. 

Cops are trained not to take that chance and shoot first at any hint of trouble, gotta go home safe you know, but that might be changing in the future.  They may actually be expected to take that chance before shooting.  

• Sad 1