To the More Knowledgeable Knife Afficianados Than Me

Moshe

Well.   There are a couple of reasons they can demand that much money.   

First the metal they are using is very high quality.   Should be a very hard to damage and it should keep and edge nicely.     The design is very nice.   They are treating their product line like it's a custom job.  It's the kind of knife you can bet your life on.

But mostly the market allows for it to exist.   There are many fine options besides this that cost less.

Ask me why i like Randall knives?  Mostly it's history, one of a kind-made-for you knife, and you wait 4 to 5 years for it.     Is it worth $400.    Well, i sure have my knife and have cleaned many deer, hogs and camped and fished with it.  It's a joy to use as the design is perfect for what i need.

But i could do the same job with a Case pocket knife.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, Moshe said:

https://geissele.com/knives/goodman-knife/goodman-with-sheath-of-the-future.html

What makes these special enough to cost as much as a quality handgun?  I am not disparaging the product, it just has me curious.

I'm a Lineman.  I know knives.  Carried and used them all my life.Always had a knife in my pocket. "Tools".  Work and self Defense.  I've got some "nice" knives.  Daily carry?  SOG Fielder, or an old "Smith and Wesson"...made in china, but bad ass.  Had that damn thing 20 years.  To answer your question...Not a clue sir...

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Where do you find a Randall for $400?

I have seen them go for less at second hand stores an antique malls.   Or about that. 

If you buy direct from Randall it's $50 down and the remainder.  I think my Path Finder was about $400.

If you go online and buy you can expect another $100 to $200 easy.   I've seen some amazing knives go for more.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, Historian said:

Ask me why i like Randall knives?  Mostly it's history, one of a kind-made-for you knife, and you wait 4 to 5 years for it.     Is it worth $400.    Well, i sure have my knife and have cleaned many deer, hogs and camped and fished with it.  It's a joy to use as the design is perfect for what i need.

I was reading about a combat vet that said with his Model 1, he'd take on a samurai sword.  Confidence.  In himself, and his knife.

3 hours ago, Rellik said:

I was reading about a combat vet that said with his Model 1, he'd take on a samurai sword.  Confidence.  In himself, and his knife.

There is a famous quote from someone in the Pacific who said that the model 1 was the most terrible weapon and could take a man's head off with one stroke.

They were famous.  A buddy of mine broke two Kabars in boot camp.  He took a model 1 one to Khe Sanh.

Still has it.

• Like 2