What's your favorite wheelie?

gwalchmai

I know, it's like picking your favorite kid, huh?

I have several, but I guess the one I like the best is an old 4" S&W 65-2 that I picked up second-hand, well, probably fifth-hand to be honest. It probably started out as a police gun based on the "N.R.P.D." stamped on the receiver. It's pretty much stock except I added a T-Grip. The trigger has been worked enough to be very smooth, but not so much as to be sloppy. I've shot everything from mild to wild in it, but nothing out of spec. I usually shoot a middling .357 load in it (158gr over 5gr TG), and it's a long drill with that load.

There's nothing spectacular about it, but every time I go to the range it calls me like a comfortable pair of shoes. It's just a perfect example of the classic M&P, done up in stainless and chambered in .357.

• Like 4

Right now, it's a Taurus 8" 686 ported 8 shot 357Mag.

608SS8_03.jpg

Nothing too fancy, but very accurate. When I was a a 50 yrd range, the RO came over and told me this range was for rifles only. I gave him my binoculars. My target had better groups than the yahoos with rifles on either side. I got to keep shooting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t1 Size:\t189.3 KB ID:\t2052","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2052","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

My current favorites - 929's - my ICORE guns

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 3

I have a bunch, but this one seems to find its way into my range bag more regularly than the others:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_0305.JPG Views:\t2 Size:\t164.1 KB ID:\t2098","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2098","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_0306.JPG Views:\t2 Size:\t162.7 KB ID:\t2099","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2099","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

A model 19, the original 19. :wiggle:

These are the only pics I can find of her. She's dirty and she has fingerprints all over her, but she still looks sharp. This is after putting a few hundred downrange.

IMG_0305.JPG.f9cdb403287f49bb9f06814f74c6c7af.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG.852d982f9660142318e32278553340d0.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG.dce2437054445a92d67b4cebfb455180.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG.d7ce9d329317dc3e3a888cdfcf772703.JPG

• Like 17

I have a bunch, but this one seems to find its way into my range bag more regularly than the others:

A model 19, the original 19. :wiggle:

These are the only pics I can find of her. She's dirty and she has fingerprints all over her, but she still looks sharp. This is after putting a few hundred downrange.

Looks very nice. I have a 19-4 just like it.

• Like 1

Aurghhhh... I posted my "contribution" to the wrong thread... :rant2:

I didn't want to recreate the post here, so am just copying from the other thread... :embarass:

In all seriousness, I probably should not answer this -- my mind can do a 180 in the next five minutes... :)

But if I were to try and nail it down right now, my "favorite" would come out of three choices.

The first two would be either my S&W 65 or 60-Pro (both 3" barrels):

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2245}[/ATTACH]

The third choice will horrify all the purists among you -- it would be my S&W Governor -- I love this clunky piece as disproportionately as the gun itself! :supergrin:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2246}[/ATTACH]

There is one more piece that makes my "high affection" list, although it prolly becomes a bit too specialized to be my "last wheelgun" -- a NAA Black Widow with the CVang grips...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":2247}[/ATTACH]

• Like 3

Aurghhhh... I posted my "contribution" to the wrong thread... :rant2:

I didn't want to recreate the post here, so am just copying from the other thread... :embarass:

Just wondering; is the new site a little over your head? :whistling:

:supergrin:

BTW, nice guns

wp

• Like 1

Just wondering; is the new site a little over your head? :whistling:

:supergrin:

BTW, nice guns

wp

LOL! :rofl:

Thanks, wp... And yeah -- this here new-fangled website technology just blows away my three remaining brain cells...! :supergrin:

• Like 1

Of the ones that I currently own, I can only narrow the list to two. My 686-4 w/ a 4 inch barrel or my 640 (no dash). Both have sentimental and practical reasons for my loving them.

The 686 was obtained from a very good friend back in the 90s, not too long after he bought it. This guy was a WWII Army-Air Force vet and retired LEO. He took the time to teach me reloading and increased my knowledge of handguns in general. Even well into his 70s, he could punch the center out a target with a snub 38 (or nearly any other gun). He past away from cancer not too many years later. As a two-fer for the 686, it replaced my very first gun purchase that I foolishly traded away. A 686 (no dash) in '85. Love the gun and it shoots quite well.

My second contestant is my 640 that I bought new in '93. Smith got the J-frame spot on with the original 640 in 38 Special. The perfect balance of weight and size. It is plenty stout for any 38 Special load, but light and small enough for pocket carry. I also have plenty of memories as I carried it for about a decade in my own LE career as a backup.

• Like 2

My first wheel gun and still my favorite: Ruger Alaskan 454Casull

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com%2Fprodimages%2F2177-DEFAULT-l.jpg&f=1.jpg","data-attachmentid":2631}[/ATTACH]

My favorite shooter / home defense wheel gun: Chiappa Rhino 20DS

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7455%2F12669572224_490fb987f3_b.jpg&f=1.jpg","data-attachmentid":2632}[/ATTACH]

599b67caf26a6_uhttps3A2F2Fwww.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com2Fprodimages2F2177-DEFAULT-l.jpgampf1.jpg.144601fc73a77f23b0db64579cda7aed.jpg

599b67cb014a0_uhttp3A2F2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com2F74552F12669572224_490fb987f3_b.jpgampf1.jpg.42839ec65d3f4595a8aaf022a87a798b.jpg

• Like 6

I started my law enforcement career carrying a S&W .357 model 66 for several years. Our dept. transitioned to Glock .40 and allowed us to purchase our issued revolvers for $160 upon our retirement. I have a couple other revolvers, but that model 66 is my favorite.

• Like 4

S&W 686 stainless with a 4" barrel. No photos, but she'll always be my favorite. It was my first handgun, and it's a familiar old friend when she's in my hand. One of my sons is going to be a lucky booger when it gets handed down. I only hope that he appreciates it as much as I do.

• Like 3

Don't have too many wheel guns, but would have to say the first one I ever got - a 686 S&W bought new in about 1995 or '96. Ported 6" barrel, and a beautiful trigger break.

Don't have any pictures, but may take one later and post it.

-Pat

• Like 1

Don't have too many wheel guns, but would have to say the first one I ever got - a 686 S&W bought new in about 1995 or '96. Ported 6" barrel, and a beautiful trigger break.

Don't have any pictures, but may take one later and post it.

-Pat

If you're talking about the 686 PowerPort with the single big port just ahead of the front sight -- I have one too, bought maybe in the same time frame (can't recall now) -- and yes, it definitely makes it to the "final countdown"... The trigger is indeed a thing of beauty... :)

Love firing that beast with hot loads under low light conditions -- the volcanic light show up front is an added attraction... :supergrin:

• Like 1

If you're talking about the 686 PowerPort with the single big port just ahead of the front sight -- I have one too, bought maybe in the same time frame (can't recall now) -- and yes, it definitely makes it to the "final countdown"... The trigger is indeed a thing of beauty... :)

Love firing that beast with hot loads under low light conditions -- the volcanic light show up front is an added attraction... :supergrin:

Yep! That's the critter. Trigger break like snapping a glass rod, and it's nice and heavy, so it's easy to hold steady. .38 loads feel like .22s in it, just a gentle nudge as they fire. Tis a beautiful thing!

-Pat

• Like 1