Cow moose dropped 2 calves in my yard.

No pics yet. She has been hanging around with the little ones since Wednesday. Today I fired the riding mower up and rode it all the way around the house to the front of the garage to fuel up. Get ready to go mow, and there she was with the kids. I must have rode right past her when going to fuel up. The mower didn't bother her a bit. I went to get the camera and they wandered across the road. She's an old gal, and no doubt has lived in the area for many years. One calf is a female, the other a baby bull. I hope he survives so I can whack him in Sept 2021. Right in my yard. He would be the 3rd one to drop in my lawn.

• Like 2

I sat in a high-school class during "heritage week".

A very very very old lady asked the kids where they should shoot a moose.

Being whitey,  I raised my hand first, and said, through this lung, through the heart, and out lung. (as I learned it)

She said, "No,  You'll ruin all the internals".

"Behind this ear, and out that ear."  is the correct answer.

Who knew?

I ate fish eyeballs when I was there.  They were the first to go.  We didn't have that in the Pennsylvania mountains.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I sat in a high-school class during "heritage week".

A very very very old lady asked the kids where they should shoot a moose.

Being whitey,  I raised my hand first, and said, through this lung, through the heart, and out lung. (as I learned it)

She said, "No,  You'll ruin all the internals".

"Behind this ear, and out that ear."  is the correct answer.

Who knew?

I ate fish eyeballs when I was there.  They were the first to go.  We didn't have that in the Pennsylvania mountains.

Fish head stew is quite good. Especially when prepared by someone that has been doing it for a lifetime.

5 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

edwin.thumb.jpg.d048f2e4c01559bc3f5e4fd6134bd2df.jpg

Catch them.  Put a bucket of salt on them.  Eat their eyeballs with with forks and knives when they first come out (or before) and then eats them.

Guts, bones, and everything.  They're pretty much done already.

Hooligan, Smelt. Ate a ton of them. Used to dip them in the rivers in the PNW. Filled buckets with them.

Ok. The strangest thing happened on the internet today.

I was on reddit r/Alaska, and some dude posted a pic of an old cow moose and 2 calves. Said this old girl was hanging around his dad's place.

I didn't really know how to approach the possibility of thig guy's dad being our very own Walt. So I just stated that if his dad owned a Kenworth, we were friends on a different forum.

20200526_205723.jpg

Edited by tadbart

4 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Neighbor saw a black bear in the subdivision today. They play hell with the moose calves. 

There was one posted a couple of days ago by the FD  on the Kenai Peninsula Bear Sighting FB Page. 

F350CE8D-7888-450D-8418-02F7AD490080.png

Edited by Zonny

47 minutes ago, Zonny said:

There was one posted a couple of days ago by the FD  on the Kenai Peninsula Bear Sighting FB Page. 

F350CE8D-7888-450D-8418-02F7AD490080.png

There has been one chasing moose calves in that area, but too many houses in the area for anyone to hose it. A few miles down the road several friends have been dealing with one in their subdivision. It was in a friends yard in the middle of the day while she and her kids were working in the garden.

• Sad 1