Battery Powered Chainsaws Question.

DrB

Thinking about getting one of the Stihl series.  I have several gas saws but thought one of these might be nice for the occasional branch that falls into the yard or random tree limb that needs trimming.  Yep, getting old and just looking that may be quick and easy.  I'm not looking at cutting cords of firewood but just  storm and spring clean up and such.

If you have had any experience give me some pointers.   I have a Stihl battery trimmer that I love.  Just wondering about the chainsaw..

Dave...

One advantage is to use the same batteries with different tools line lawn mowers, trimmers,...

All my tools are battery powered and no issues (well, some batteries die sooner and you need to replace them from time to time but that’s normal)

If you need to get on a ladder with a chainsaw having a battery powered one is a GREAT improvement over gasoline powered.

Give consideration to a battery powered sawzall. With the proper blade they are quiet good with small trimming. 3” to 4” no problem if you cut in such a way that the blade isn’t pinched.

One of many brands. Blades average $3 to $4 each. 

36621E69-2DF8-4D42-820E-67154076760E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently purchased my wife a 40v Rayobi leaf blower and a weed whacker . I was very impressed with the weed whacker and use it myself instead of my gas one . I decided since I already have 2 40 v batteries to try the 40 v chain saw . WOW ,I'm impressed . It is lighter and cuts as fast as a similar size gas model and safer in awkward positions because it stops as soon as you release the trigger where as a gas winds down.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds like a good idea. I cut up a pretty big Bradford Pear (DAMN THEIR EYES!) with a borrowed electric chainsaw once, and it did OK.

Nowadays I use a pruning saw for anything not worth firing up the Husky. (When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way...)

Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning - 6.7" blade Folding Pruning Saws for Camping, Trimming, Sawing, Hiking, Hunting & Cutting Wood, Drywall, Bone

• Like 1

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Give consideration to a battery powered sawzall. With the proper blade they are quiet good with small trimming. 3” to 4” no problem if you cut in such a way that the blade isn’t pinched.

I honestly would have no idea what to do without my sawzall.    It's just one great all purpose tool.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Sounds like a good idea. I cut up a pretty big Bradford Pear (DAMN THEIR EYES!) with a borrowed electric chainsaw once, and it did OK.

Nowadays I use a pruning saw for anything not worth firing up the Husky. (When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way...)

Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning - 6.7" blade Folding Pruning Saws for Camping, Trimming, Sawing, Hiking, Hunting & Cutting Wood, Drywall, Bone

I carry similar saws on the snow machines for when I get hung up in the alders and willows. They work very well.

2 hours ago, Rellik said:

Place where I hunt, they use a sawzalll to dismember hips, legs, etc.

We do that on moose including sawing down the backbone. I use a corded model in the garage for the backbone cut, but the cordless one in the field is great for sawing the legs off at the knee and splitting the brisket and pelvis. Gas powered chainsaw is faster though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

We do that on moose including sawing down the backbone. I use a corded model in the garage for the backbone cut, but the cordless one in the field is great for sawing the legs off at the knee and splitting the brisket and pelvis. Gas powered chainsaw is faster though.

You know...you sound a bit like a serial killer.

Just saying.  It's a good thing you had the word moose in your post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My only concern with a battery chainsaw is that if I really need a chainsaw, I may not have power available to charge the batteries.  But for everyday stuff like trimming trees, landscaping, etc - they are supposedly really good.  And if I had to climb a tree to limb it out, the battery saw is all I would want.

But I doubt they will compare to a mid-range or better Husqvarna or Stihl - but they're not supposed to.

They sound like hell because you can hear the chain running without the sound of a gas engine to mask it.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2

I have an electric one for very small jobs.  I found that the electric chains run slower compared to the gas. 

However, this makes them more manageable, and I haven't experienced any kick-back when tackling heavier than recommended loads.  I think you can overpower them if it all turns to crap.

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I have an electric one for very small jobs.  I found that the electric chains run slower compared to the gas. 

However, this makes them more manageable, and I haven't experienced any kick-back when tackling heavier than recommended loads.  I think you can overpower them if it all turns to crap.

Was using a 60cc Husqavarna and doing an upward cut a couple of weeks ago.  You wanna talk about kickback.......it about shoved the saw out of my hands the first time.  I was too used to my Ryobi (good saw, but just not in the same league power-wise).

Didn't help that two guys were there (one was the saw's owner) telling me how to use it - and each telling me something different.  

I also learned that the trigger on a chainsaw isn't an all-or-nothing proposition.  On the bigger saws it's like the gas pedal - give it what you need.  On my Ryobi you pretty much have to floor it for bigger stuff.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Was using a 60cc Husqavarna and doing an upward cut a couple of weeks ago.  You wanna talk about kickback.......it about shoved the saw out of my hands the first time.  I was too used to my Ryobi (good saw, but just not in the same league power-wise).

Didn't help that two guys were there (one was the saw's owner) telling me how to use it - and each telling me something different.  

I also learned that the trigger on a chainsaw isn't an all-or-nothing proposition.  On the bigger saws it's like the gas pedal - give it what you need.  On my Ryobi you pretty much have to floor it for bigger stuff.

The year the Falcon first came out I drove one.  It was like your Ryobi.  Floored or not that was your choice.

20 minutes ago, janice6 said:

How old is that electric?  I don't think the first electric ones (the plug-in ones) were all that good compared to gas. 

I do have an electric pole saw that I like,  But come to think of it, it does run slower than my gas saw.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

How old is that electric?  I don't think the first electric ones (the plug-in ones) were all that good.  I do have an electric pole saw that I like,

It's really old.  I think you attributed more to it's performance than I intended.

I rented a gas pole saw that was remarkable.  Of course the chain was sharp as a razor.

Just now, janice6 said:

It's really old.  I think you attributed more to it's performance than I intended.

I rented a gas pole saw that was remarkable.  Of course the chain was sharp as a razor.

Sharp chain helps.  I've begun learning to sharpen mine.  It doesn't really take all that long to do.  I figured out that on my saws at least the angle of the "chisel" at the top of the tooth is the angle you need to hold the file.  Obvious - in retrospect.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

How old is that electric?  I don't think the first electric ones (the plug-in ones) were all that good compared to gas. 

I do have an electric pole saw that I like,  But come to think of it, it does run slower than my gas saw.

First electric ones I know of had a cord and were Milwaukee brand. We used them to quarter our elk hanging in the shop. Good saws for that. Everything else I used during that time was 85 cc's and larger running 42" bars for logging. Now days I run a puny 76cc saw with a 28" most of the time.

1 minute ago, Walt Longmire said:

Everything else I used during that time was 85 cc's and larger running 42" bars for logging. Now days I run a puny 76cc saw with a 28" most of the time.

So...ideal for home defense?

Just now, Walt Longmire said:

First electric ones I know of had a cord and were Milwaukee brand. We used them to quarter our elk hanging in the shop. Good saws for that. Everything else I used during that time was 85 cc's and larger running 42" bars for logging. Now days I run a puny 76cc saw with a 28" most of the time.

Well, we did run electric chainsaws on the decks in the mills in the PNW. Those were huge saws. Mounted stationary on a conveyer. Capable of bucking an old growth log in seconds. 

Just now, Historian said:

So...ideal for home defense?

Years ago a numb nuts that lived way in the back of our subdivision had a stand off at the local watering hole while waving a chainsaw around. Then the guns came out. Someone pounced him from behind. Game over. He went to the pen for a number of years. As soon as his time was up, he moved out of state. He might have been just a bit unstable.

4 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

He might have been just a bit unstable.

I think you might be right about that....ayep.

We had a case where i live where a guy attacked his girlfriend's car, with her in it, with a chainsaw....by the time we got there...she done run him over.

Yeah, that one hit the local DA's office and was stamped done, finished, let her go, no case, do it now...in seconds.  

Seconds because they had to read the case twice.  Then pass it around the office. 

A friend that owns an excavating business used his excavator to destroy his wife's (ex now) car. She was letting all her new boyfriends drive it. A Monte Carlo. Friend left the car parked in front of his business for a while. Made the guys fooling around with his soon to be ex wife, be just a little more careful.