Estate sale find

gwalchmai

IMG_2081.thumb.JPG.b4588862362f9d150a7ef2bc1caf7bd9.JPGThere was a long gun in a soft case leaning against the wall. The owner put $125 on it. I took a peek and said "Oh. I'll go $100 without even looking to see if it works!"

Inside was a Win Model 12 which had been put away wet some time ago, but has no pitting or obvious damage. Looks to need a good cleaning but functions fine. So it's mine. I've wanted a Model 12 as long as I can remember. :supergrin:

Looks like a 26" barrel, Modified. Think I should saw it off to 20?

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 10

I cut mine but it was a sad case. An elderly neighbors daughter moved in after he died. She found his gun dismantled in the attic and panicked. She called someone in the neighborhood who called me. She wanted it removed “before it jumped up and killed everyone”. 

I went over and got it out of the attic. She was afraid to even look at it. She said would $75 be Okay? I gave her $75 and left. I later found out she was offering me $75 to dispose of it. 

There was a chunk broken out of the toe of the stock. The breach threads on the barrel were damaged. The magazine had a good ding in it. The trigger guard was bent in. And the muzzle had been leaning up against some  insulation that had been wet at some point. The muzzle was basically rusted through. So I didn’t feel bad about chopping it. Still fun to shoot. I don’t even feel bad about not taking her money. 

1FC1BEB3-496C-4E0E-B162-3A35964590B4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

I went over and got it out of the attic. She was afraid to even look at it. She said would $75 be Okay? I gave her $75 and left. I later found out she was offering me $75 to dispose of it. 

Well...she didn't give you a time frame on how long it would take to destroy it.  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

She said would $75 be Okay? I gave her $75 and left. I later found out she was offering me $75 to dispose of it. 

:anim_rofl2:Remind me to bring you the next time I need to negotiate a deal of some sort or other. 

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I don’t even feel bad about not taking her money

You are a true public servant.  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

On 5/21/2020 at 7:05 PM, gwalchmai said:

IMG_2081.thumb.JPG.b4588862362f9d150a7ef2bc1caf7bd9.JPGThere was a long gun in a soft case leaning against the wall. The owner put $125 on it. I took a peek and said "Oh. I'll go $100 without even looking to see if it works!"

Inside was a Win Model 12 which had been put away wet some time ago, but has no pitting or obvious damage. Looks to need a good cleaning but functions fine. So it's mine. I've wanted a Model 12 as long as I can remember. :supergrin:

Looks like a 26" barrel, Modified. Think I should saw it off to 20?

You cut the barrel on that thing and I may have to hurt you.  Try to find a shorter barrel for it, if you want a shorter barrel.

And watch the magnum loads.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

You cut the barrel on that thing and I may have to hurt you.  Try to find a shorter barrel for it, if you want a shorter barrel.

And watch the magnum loads.  

10-4 on the mag loads. It's actually a 28" barrel, and I've started looking for a shorter one. :supergrin: