Dams breached in Midland County MI

Hauptmann6

Has the Governor of Michigan declared this to be "racist," as she declares most things she does not like?  Not staying in place was, "racist."  I am still trying to figure that one out.  She makes me ashamed to call myself an Yuper as I was born there.

Edited by Moshe
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

What kind of knuckleheads let an earthen dam be overtopped??  That is criminally stupid.  If you can't build it so you can prevent that you don't build it.

It's literally impossible to build a dam that can't be over-topped under the right circumstances.  The spillways and emergency spillways have been going full tilt all day. Then the water from the dam that broke upstream hit. The dam upstream held back a 5.7 square mile lake.

This is the lake about 2 hours after the photo in the first post was taken.

This is the dam above the one that was breached in the top post

Edited by Hauptmann6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hauptmann6 said:

It's literally impossible to build a dam that can't be over-topped under the right circumstances.  The spillways and emergency spillways have been going full tilt all day. Then the water from the dam that broke upstream hit. The dam upstream held back a 5.7 square mile lake.

This is the lake about 2 hours after the photo in the first post was taken.

This is the dam above the one that was breached in the top post

Part of the design of the dam needs to consider the failure of upstream dams.  Also, the upstream dam never should have failed starting the whole domino effect.  Those spillways were not very large and obviously not large enough.  It is asking for trouble to pen water up in nearly flat areas like that anyway, once your dam fails it is going to go everywhere instead of down a controlled channel.  This could have been prevented by upgrading the dams and instead they argued over who was responsible and now a bunch of people are out of their homes and the cost is 100X what it would have been probably more.  That is poor planning, government was the only organization that could have stopped it and the screwed the pooch.  But that MI governor bitch will make sure you don't run your business or walk around without a mask on. 

• Thanks 1

We can't afford to upgrade dams, and support illegals aliens, while funding infrastructure in china, only so much money to go around. The dams can wait till they fail, then we'll spend seven times as much to rebuild them.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fog said:

We can't afford to upgrade dams, and support illegals aliens, while funding infrastructure in china, only so much money to go around. The dams can wait till they fail, then we'll spend seven times as much to rebuild them.

Didn’t California do this a year or two ago?

Yes it did. Oroville Dam

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroville_Dam_crisis

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Yes it did. Oroville Dam

That one did not fail, just got very close.

Fog, I think your 7X is absurdly conservative.  That are not big dams, 10s of millions would have done quite a bit to beef them up, we are looking at billions in damage.

Even if you had no money from the dams, fine, drain the lakes until you can fix them.

• Like 1

Well, order everyone to stay home, or be "racist," (still trying to figure that one out), who is monitoring the dams?  No one.

Meanwhile, Harris is saying Wuhan Virus should be declared "racist," because we wouldn't want the people who unleased biological and economic terror on the world to be offended?  In other news, Liberals still hate Jews and that's somehow okay.

Edited by Moshe
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Moshe said:

Well, order everyone to stay home, or be "racist," (still trying to figure that one out), who is monitoring the dams?  No one.

Meanwhile, Harris is saying Wuhan Virus should be declared "racist," because we wouldn't want the people who unleased biological and economic terror on the world to be offended?  In other news, Liberals still hate Jews and that's somehow okay.

What is with you and the constant Jew hate comments??  You are worse than Jesse Jackson.  Who said it was okay?  That hate all white people in general, liberals think it is okay, sane people don't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Yes it did. Oroville Dam

That repair alone cost 1.1 billion, feds covered a chunk of it.

Almost all of our dams need some major overhaul, tender loving cash, to keep them reasonably safe.

The smaller earth fill ones in many cases are wholly inadequate.

We don't have the budget right now to fix everything that needs fixing. It will take more investment than politicians are willing to pull out of social programs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

Even if you had no money from the dams, fine, drain the lakes until you can fix them.

Have to agree with that, but we have to admit, it would be a challenge to estimate how low the lake needs to be going into the rainy season.

Of course, Gov. Dumbarse will say the flooding is due to global warming melting the polar ice cap.

ETA:  My local Fox affiliate just did a story that regulators warned in 1999 that the dam couldn't handle a massive flood.  The document is supposedly on the Federal Energy Regulatory website.

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Fog said:

We don't have the budget right now to fix everything that needs fixing. It will take more investment than politicians are willing to pull out of social programs.

What's a budget?  We just cut checks now.  We can fix everything.

Cortez was right all along! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

What is with you and the constant Jew hate comments??  You are worse than Jesse Jackson.  Who said it was okay?  That hate all white people in general, liberals think it is okay, sane people don't.

That is reality.  I guess if you haven't experienced hate crimes, you wouldn't get it.  It also fascinates me that it always comes from the Left and Rednecks.  What exactly do they have in common? 

4 hours ago, Moshe said:

That is reality.  I guess if you haven't experienced hate crimes, you wouldn't get it.  It also fascinates me that it always comes from the Left and Rednecks.  What exactly do they have in common? 

I get it, I don't know why you have to bring it up in every freaking topic on here.  This is a post about dams.

6 hours ago, PPQer said:

Have to agree with that, but we have to admit, it would be a challenge to estimate how low the lake needs to be going into the rainy season.

Of course, Gov. Dumbarse will say the flooding is due to global warming melting the polar ice cap.

ETA:  My local Fox affiliate just did a story that regulators warned in 1999 that the dam couldn't handle a massive flood.  The document is supposedly on the Federal Energy Regulatory website.

You would plow a channel into them at least as large as the inlet to the lake.  Perhaps take out the existing old spillways etc. at the same time.  Then tell Boyce hydro and the people around the lake they can rebuild with something that can handle it.

11 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

Funny, we had a whole thread about Aubrey.