Bees knees

Zonny

And elbows, and toes and STINGERS!

They’ve moved into my tree. Thought they’d be gone in a few days but no; they like it there.

Beekeeper coming tomorrow to vacuum them up to take to live at her house! 

CE7A667F-8F57-4F3C-ADAF-BB9686637050.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I worked a turnaround in an oil refinery in the L.A. area. Honey bees swarmed some piping there. Rather than leave them alone and let them leave on their own, some administrator decided something had to be done, so they hit them with a steam hose. No one was working in the area these bees were swarmed. We saw them for a few days as we were driving through the unit. And yet these same Ca. wackos want to tell us here in Alaska how to manage our environment. I wasn't happy seeing the area littered with many thousands of dead honey bees. It isn't like they were wasps or hornets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

38 minutes ago, Zonny said:

Yup. Bees are important. I’m paying at least twice to have them relocated as to what I’d pay to have them exterminated. 

So bee (sic) it. 

It is really good of you to do that, too.  We seem to have a decline in honey bees around the world and as you know they are important to crop growing.

They are truly amazing creatures...and best of all.  They make honey.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zonny said:

Yup. Bees are important. I’m paying at least twice to have them relocated as to what I’d pay to have them exterminated. 

So bee (sic) it. 

They're charging you?!?!  Around here if anyone sees a swarm, they can either call their local beekeeper if they know the number, or call the cops (who keep a list of local beekeepers who have volunteered to do swarm relocations), or call the township which also keeps a list (our township is so small we have no local PD).  Or the easiest thing -  they can just put a post on the FB page for the MI state beekeepers association (or the local assoc if there is one) and we will all fight over who is going to get to remove the swarm, because those are FREE BEES!  And whichever beekeeper gets the bees is kind of expected to bring back some honey for the person that called them.

The most swarms Ive ever gotten in one year is 5.  So far this year I've only gotten 1... and it came from the feral hive in my barn. 

Edited by Mrs.Cicero
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

They're charging you?!?!  Around here if anyone sees a swarm, they can either call their local beekeeper if they know the number, or call the cops (who keep a list of local beekeepers who have volunteered to do swarm relocations), or call the township which also keeps a list (our township is so small we have no local PD).  Or the easiest thing -  they can just put a post on the FB page for the MI state beekeepers association (or the local assoc if there is one) and we will all fight over who is going to get to remove the swarm, because those are FREE BEES!  And whichever beekeeper gets the bees is kind of expected to bring back some honey for the person that called them.

The most swarms Ive ever gotten in one year is 5.  So far this year I've only gotten 1... and it came from the feral hive in my barn. 

Gosh, now I hate do say it but yes, $150 for capture. 

Out of curiosity, what do bees cost? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zonny said:

About that much for the initial set up.  Just so you know how much this guy is going to make, plus your cash on top of it.  

16 hours ago, Zonny said:

$125-150 for a 3# package.  A little more for a nuc.  When I first started keeping bees 15 years ago they're $75-100 for a 3# package.  I don't know what nucs were going for then, since I always bought packaged bees.  I prefer to catch swarms as much as possible, because they're free (or the cost of gas and time to get to them) and I know the hive they came from at least survived one MI winter.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Zonny said:

She does. And by our phone conversation this AM, she appears to be a very nice/kind person. 

Audra uses a specially designed bee vacuum to remove bees and then transports them to one of her many apiaries where they are given a second chance!

Now that...is something to see!!

• Like 1

Yup. Having granddaughter come over to watch. I will try to do a video but it will be(e) through a screen/window so not sure of the quality and I can’t seem to post videos on here anymore.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1