Chain Saws - Husqvarna vs Ryobi/Homelite

SC Tiger

I am looking at upgrading my chainsaw.  I currently have two - a Homelite 42cc and a Ryobi 37cc.  I am looking at some Husqvarna options.  Just starting to look.  

Now - let's be clear here - I do know that a top-of-the-line Husqvarna chainsaw (50-60 cc) is LIGHT YEARS better than either of these two options.  It's not even a question.  They are two different markets, honestly.  But compared to the top-end Husqvarna, the two I have may as well be made by Fisher-Price.  They just aren't made for the same jobs.

My question is specifically about the ~40cc Husqvarna saws vs the Homelite and Ryobi I have now.  Would it be worth it to upgrade to a 40cc Husqvarna?  My saw is getting a lot of work right now but once I get this stuff cleaned up, it will probably sit a lot more than it runs.  

Edited by SC Tiger

3 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

And don't buy one from a box store. Not the same saws.

Right.  And even at a professional store the prices can vary between not to bad and....well...a lot.  But still worth it.

Chain saws from box stores just don't seem to last.  At least that's my experience. 

• Like 1

I have a Stihl and a Homelite. I had the homelite when I bought the Stihl. If the extra $$ won't bother you, get a Stihl or the Husky. Get a bigger one than you think you will ever need.

Now, about the Homelite. I have had it for over 10 years and it has never let me down. It has done everything I have asked of it. Mine is a 20in 53cc saw.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Alabusa said:

Now, about the Homelite. I have had it for over 10 years and it has never let me down. It has done everything I have asked of it. Mine is a 20in 53cc saw.

You must be using ethanol free gas.

I won't put anything else in my tools.   I've lost too many fine tools to bad gas.

• Like 1

You must be using ethanol free gas.
I won't put anything else in my tools.   I've lost too many fine tools to bad gas.
Yes Sir. All my small engines only get 100% gas. I have a Stihl weedeater that is over 15 years old and going strong.

• Like 1

I was so happy to find a gas station five miles from home that has pure gas.   About four times a year i fill up a couple of NATO jerry cans and never have a problem.

Also got rid of all the plastic containers i used at one point for storage.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

I have 3 different stations within 15 minutes of my house that have 100% gasoline. They all charge a $.40 to $.05 upcharge on it but it is worth every extra penny.

I try to run it exclusively in my truck as well. I get 2-4 mpg more out of pure gas over the corn crap.

Husqvarna has several lines.  Low end consumer line, good for occasional use but won't hold up to extended use any better than the ryobi or homelite.

The Rancher series is for homeowners with large wood lots or semi-professional use.

The XP series is their full professional models.

If you have some around you, I personally really like Echo/Koritz brand.  They consider EVERY tool they make to be professional grade, and come with 5 year consumer warranty/2 year commercial.  Plus the price is very reasonable for the quality (it's been a few years since I looked, but most Echo equipment is priced about the same as the Husqvarna consumer of at worst Rancher series saws)

So to go back and answer the specific question, you probably won't notice much difference between using the Ryobi or Homelite saws if all you are planning to get is a 40CC saw.  If the idea is use it, then ignore it for a long time I don't know if I'd bother with a new saw.

Probably best thing to do is buy some quality chains and keep them sharpened.  As soon as the chips get smaller/finer or whenever you cut for a while, run a file over them and sharpen them up again.  If you aren't good at sharpening do it anyway, then after every few tanks of fuel or when you can see an obvious difference, take the chains in to get professionally sharpened, as that will bring the teeth all back to the proper angle, and take the rakers down to the proper height as well.

9 minutes ago, Alabusa said:

I have 3 different stations within 15 minutes of my house that have 100% gasoline. They all charge a $.40 to $.05 upcharge on it but it is worth every extra penny.

I try to run it exclusively in my truck as well. I get 2-4 mpg more out of pure gas over the corn crap.

Do you think being corn free has helped your truck?   I mean to ask have had less cost in running it?

38 minutes ago, Historian said:

I was so happy to find a gas station five miles from home that has pure gas.   About four times a year i fill up a couple of NATO jerry cans and never have a problem.

Also got rid of all the plastic containers i used at one point for storage.

Why did you do this?  Serious question.

19 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Husqvarna has several lines.  Low end consumer line, good for occasional use but won't hold up to extended use any better than the ryobi or homelite.

The Rancher series is for homeowners with large wood lots or semi-professional use.

The XP series is their full professional models.

If you have some around you, I personally really like Echo/Koritz brand.  They consider EVERY tool they make to be professional grade, and come with 5 year consumer warranty/2 year commercial.  Plus the price is very reasonable for the quality (it's been a few years since I looked, but most Echo equipment is priced about the same as the Husqvarna consumer of at worst Rancher series saws)

So to go back and answer the specific question, you probably won't notice much difference between using the Ryobi or Homelite saws if all you are planning to get is a 40CC saw.  If the idea is use it, then ignore it for a long time I don't know if I'd bother with a new saw.

Probably best thing to do is buy some quality chains and keep them sharpened.  As soon as the chips get smaller/finer or whenever you cut for a while, run a file over them and sharpen them up again.  If you aren't good at sharpening do it anyway, then after every few tanks of fuel or when you can see an obvious difference, take the chains in to get professionally sharpened, as that will bring the teeth all back to the proper angle, and take the rakers down to the proper height as well.

This is the info I was looking for.  Thanks.

I just can't justify a $600 pro-grade chainsaw.  I don't use it enough.  I don't really like to borrow them because I do tend to "dirt" them when cutting up a tree on the ground, or bind them up in a log (one reason I have two saws).  I've gotten a LOT better at both but it still happens every so often.

Was working with a guy who had a Stihl a few weeks ago and during a break he let his wife sharpen it.  As soon as I saw her do it I knew it wasn't gonna end well, but he was helping her so I stayed quiet.  She had the file angle all over the place - one tooth it was at about a 45 degree angle to the bar, next one a 90, then something else...... 

He had to cut another tree and as soon as he was done she took the saw from him and took it to a local place to get it sharpened.  It was cutting like absolute crap.

• Haha 1

Do you think being corn free has helped your truck?   I mean to ask have had less cost in running it?
I dont know if it has helped anything but it runs better and gets better mileage.
With ethanol gas I get between 260-280 miles to the tank full. With 100% gas I get between 320-340 miles to the tank full. That is enough of a difference to me to warrant the premium they charge for real gas.

6 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I don’t mix gas anymore. I only run the premixed stuff from the Stihl store. Pricy but I’ve never had a fuel related issue since. 

I get non-ethanol from a local station, then put stabilizer in it as soon as I get it.  I do this for all of my gas powered stuff except for my cars.

Most of my stuff starts pretty damn quick and runs well.  One lawn mower (old as dirt) still struggles.

• Like 1

on the ethano fuel topic, back when I drove a gasoline powered car, I got 10% better mileage with ethanol free.

At that time it cost 5% more, so it was worth it.

Lately I've been seeing ethanol free at 15-20% more cost than regular, so not worth it at that point.

All power equipment gets ethanol free, be it the trimmers, chainsaws, riding mower, pressure washer, blender, and anything else.  The cost of NOT having to clean up the fuel system is more than worth it.

I also used to keep a gallon of the canned ethanol free from the box store (at about $18 a gallon) in the car for emergencies.  Stabilized to last at least 3 years unopened, it's cheap insurance.  At the end of that 3 years dump it into a car or equipment, and buy a new one.

Get a Stihl. At least one size larger than you think you need. (two sizes larger is even better)

Keep it fueled with proper fuel mix  (I like pre-mix, but it's not necessary if you're careful)

Keep the chains sharp. (an electric chain sharpener is a good thing, IF you bother to learn how to use it properly)

It will last forever.