Looks Like More Options

Moshe

I am running off a cable system that can be reliable/unreliable at times.  Getting the mail box is at least 100 yards away from the house.  Movement always catches my attention.  So, I see a guy in a truck with an insignia I didn't recognize, in an orange vest (imagine living somewhere, where people do things the right way), throw orangish red darts etc.  So, being curious, I checked out the flag.  They all say ATT&T with red spray paint at the edge of the drive.  If they are installing fiber optic, that might be a nice change.  I came from a place with fiber optic.  I am hoping it is the same thing?  Anyone else know how they run their game?

23 hours ago, Moshe said:

I am running off a cable system that can be reliable/unreliable at times.  Getting the mail box is at least 100 yards away from the house.  Movement always catches my attention.  So, I see a guy in a truck with an insignia I didn't recognize, in an orange vest (imagine living somewhere, where people do things the right way), throw orangish red darts etc.  So, being curious, I checked out the flag.  They all say ATT&T with red spray paint at the edge of the drive.  If they are installing fiber optic, that might be a nice change.  I came from a place with fiber optic.  I am hoping it is the same thing?  Anyone else know how they run their game?

Depends on where you live but ATT is putting in fiber to the house.   It's a nice option, a bit pricey, and may still have some of the same issues as a copper...(construction may cause a problem for example)...but your speeds should be around 900MBS.   If you push a pile of data or need a constant high speed connection this may be it for you.

They say it's gig but they all have overhead that cuts into the speed.

I bit the bullet and did this for home because i wanted the same speed as my desk at the office.

That could change.  We should be getting a 10 gig switch at work.   Then I'll need a 10 gig card for my desktop.  At that point...i pretty much rule the universe.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

I had a cable run from the attic, considering the steep and height of the roof, a place I don't want to go.  The lanky red head, didn't seem to mind it though.  The home is 1998 vintage, so I am not completely certain if it would work.  They seem to be efficient; however, one day flags, the next day disturbed soil.  I am not griping, I am just impressed, considering come from Polk to Harrison (not Houston), County.  It seems a lot of the dumb-assery of Polk doesn't exist here.  Which, so, far is awesome.  The counties are so close together here, that it is amazing to see four cars on the road at one time.  My wife drove me around to reduce my cabin fever of what seems like forever.  Mostly, she was looking at fences, and I was seeing flag pole after flag pole, and decided it was time to order my three. They are coming in slow boat, but by the time they get there, the two 3x5 flags I ordered from Amazon should be decontaminated by then.  I put my vital targets that got lifted from me, and left them in quarantine for a little over 2 weeks before opening.  I treat most packages that way.  Gloves, put in a neutral place and wait.  I am waiting for my Texas flag that was shredded in the wind at the last house, along with my Israeli flag.  So far, six flags, and three poles.  I thought about another, but the Blue Lives matter would require a forth lonely flag pole.

Moshe i have but one flag at my place. The American flag.   Once a year (unless they win a major soccer game) I put out a French flag.

The flag of Israel...there is so much history behind the people and their nation.   I can never see it and not think about the depths of their history.  Good stuff.

You know that old joke about a priest and a rabbi walk into a bar?  I want to be the guy buying the drinks.    Shame with me some knowledge and wisdom.  I got your beer.

• Like 2

Extra flags are due to come today.  Flag poles are in route to my new house.  Not having flag poles up drives me nuts.  I figured the Israeli flag was safe here.  When we were looking at properties I saw two prominently displayed, and I didn't see any property damage.  So, it appears, here, you can be yourself without negative repercussions.  

On 5/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, Moshe said:

Don't get your hopes up until they actually contact you about connecting the fiber to your place.  A few years ago medicom ran a fiber cable right past our place and I was all excited.  Later on I found out they didn't intend to connect to anyone but a cell tower up the road a few miles.  After a year of crappy service the cell people dumped medicom and now that cable is in the ground servicing no one. 

A year later a local provider put in fiber and their service is spot on.  I pay for 100Mbps and that is exactly what I get 24/7.  After using satellite internet I though I was in heaven.  Their service is great and they are out the same day, usually within a couple hours.  I only had one service call when a circuit board in the outside box went bad, but everyone I talk to is pleased and too top it off they speak English you can understand.  Depending on your needs and budget they offer anywhere from 50Mbps up to 200Mbps for residential.

Next we're getting all our electrical service put under ground.  They figure it will save them money in the long run since they have a lot of outages due to trees falling. 

A few years ago, AT&T ran a cable along a major 4 lane road a block off of our house. It was for their U-Verse. We were on satellite then and got all excited. After a while we got a call from AT&T that said U-Verse was available in our area, so my wife negotiated a deal with them to switch over from Dish Network.

They set up a time for the guy to come out and install on a Monday morning, so my wife called Dish and said to cut it off Monday. They cut it off at 12.01 AM Monday. 

The ATT Service guy shows up at the appointed time and says basically 

" Whoever told you that you could get service was lying through their teeth. The closest repeater to you is two miles away and there is not enough signal up here and they are not going to install another repeater just for you."

I don't have any neighbors. My house, out in the sticks,

3210_1.png.40c3c22f9dc312d458a0d998e2dfb6f3.png

My wife called ATT to no avail. So she had to go back to Dish Network with hat in hand and re-up.

It turned out alright though since they called her a new customer and she got a reduced rate for six months for the same exact service she had cancelled the day before.

:anim_rofl2:

She was happy.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 12:32 PM, windowasher said:

When I moved into my house in 2005, I had to have satellite TV and internet.  No cable available and only copper wire dialup for phone.  Cell was so spotty then, I couldn't sit on my couch and use my cell phone.  

I did that for awhile myself.

Can't say what is happening there. If utilities are 100% buried, then that is how they will roll. Yes it all started with a lot of little flags and paint on the ground.

We just got fiber. The fiber is great, Suddenlink, not so much. Anyway it took about a year of install and running down problems before they started getting it to houses. The fiber would run underground to surfacing junctions they they put a third wire on the power/telephone poles and ran it along there. Then they ran fiber from the pole to the house and entered the house with coax.

They offered some smoking deals if you get it on the new. Install was free for all the services, Internet/phone/cable, you just had to get in on the list. We got phone and internet and are locked in for life, supposed to be anyway, and it was less than our other phone/DSL by $30 a month with 25-40 times the internet speeds.

Can't say how AT&T would do it or the area, but that is what happened here.

Edited by LostinTexas

It is buried whatever they ended up doing.  Then I got some unsolicited phone call and message about switching to satellite which I deleted.  For the first time, I have developed the ability to ignore phone calls when I am sleeping. When I was on 24/7 call out I used hear the phone ring when it didn't.