Printing issues

Leavemeout

The only time I carry a bigger gun in the winter is if I know I'm not going to be indoors for any length of time and sometimes it happens anyway and once you're inside a heated building for more than about 45 minutes you need to start peeling off layers of clothing or it gets too hot. Where I live it gets pretty cold in the winter and sometimes I wear long underwear and that can get real hot in a heated building. Spring and fall is a little different in this regard.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:32 PM, Leavemeout said:

. . . . Does anyone else change their ccw for the winter due to easier concealability of a larger gun? Do you notice that removing a sweatshirt or coat in the warmer afternoon causes printing issues? . . . .

I do move up a little in the winter, but not all that much.  This past summer, I took to pocket carrying an LCR, and as cooler weather sets in, I'll likely go back to my Shield.  My problem is that I work in a building where I cannot carry (courthouse), and I share an office with a woman, so undoing my belt for holster removal can be a little awkward.  At least for the moment.  I'm sure it will be fine after I've had "The Talk" with her about holsters.

On 10/31/2018 at 3:35 PM, minderasr said:

I've carried concealed since the early 80s.  No open carry in The People's Republik!  For the past 10 years or so, I've been carrying a Glock 19 OWB.  The only times I've ever been made is when someone hugged me and I wasn't quick enough to reach low, forcing them to go high.  Never became an issue.

I thought I lived in the people's republic(Boulder, CO)?..Open Carry is legal here, btw..kinda frowned upon but legal. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2018 at 3:20 PM, Paper Tiger said:

I consider some level of printing to be inevitable and I don't really concern myself with it.  I make an honest effort to conceal my firearm at all times but I am sure that someone somewhere has noticed that I am armed.  As far as what the public at large is likely to notice or fail to notice, I choose to err on the side of caution and assume that people are naturally astute regarding their observations and I prepare accordingly.  Printing may give me away but its certainly not illegal in my neck of the woods.  I could OC if that was my inclination, … but its not, so I don't.

Kinda resurrecting this thing..Printing may 'give me away', but so what? I try to conceal the best I can. One of the number 1s for me along with shootability and reliability. BUT, it's legal here so if somebody sees that corner of the grip against my shirt(IWB, appendix)..they may think it's a gun but so what..I'm not pointing it at them. Not really any of their business. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, usnret said:

Kinda resurrecting this thing..Printing may 'give me away', but so what? I try to conceal the best I can. One of the number 1s for me along with shootability and reliability. BUT, it's legal here so if somebody sees that corner of the grip against my shirt(IWB, appendix)..they may think it's a gun but so what..I'm not pointing it at them. Not really any of their business. 

I like to OWB strong side carry.  With enough loose clothing you can cover up just about anything.  I am not a fan of appendix carry.  The idea of the barrel, no matter how well constructed with the barrel pointed at my crotch is not comforting idea.  I don't need to find out what a second circumcision would be like.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I like to OWB strong side carry.  With enough loose clothing you can cover up just about anything.  I am not a fan of appendix carry.  The idea of the barrel, no matter how well constructed with the barrel pointed at my crotch is not comforting idea.  I don't need to find out what a second circumcision would be like.

I get that, why I only IWB Glocks..they don't 'just go off'..I have OWB my Glock 19 and 17, just to see..Hip carry and with a big enough, long enough, jacket, no problem unless I bend over. 

41 minutes ago, usnret said:

I get that, why I only IWB Glocks..they don't 'just go off'..I have OWB my Glock 19 and 17, just to see..Hip carry and with a big enough, long enough, jacket, no problem unless I bend over. 

What is your belt situation?  I got one from Amazon because it was the same design that Blade Tech used to have, but has a steel insert.  I think it is called "Extreme belts" or some such.  No sag whatsoever.  I currently have an Elzetta Flashlight, 10 extra magazines, and a my tricked out G-19.  With all this, not a bit of sag.  I throw a jacket on, and no one even knows.  But, I have gotten thin enough, I can do all that, and through own an external plate carrier that holds an extra 3 33 round magazines, and I just look like one of the bio masses that tend to frequent this town.

Thanks, I have a really good belt, nylon, stiff, wide..no sag..OWB 'prints' too much for me is all..OK with a jacket but take that thing off pretty often..I 'should' mention, my wife knows I own gun(s) but doesn't know I CCW...I know, I know..'picking my battles'...look in a dictionary for 'anti gun liberal', see pic of wife..I've asked her to go to range to shoot.."I rather clean the toilets'...so...So 'concealability' is important...

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, usnret said:

Thanks, I have a really good belt, nylon, stiff, wide..no sag..OWB 'prints' too much for me is all..OK with a jacket but take that thing off pretty often..I 'should' mention, my wife knows I own gun(s) but doesn't know I CCW...I know, I know..'picking my battles'...look in a dictionary for 'anti gun liberal', see pic of wife..I've asked her to go to range to shoot.."I rather clean the toilets'...so...So 'concealability' is important...

I agree.  Extra large clothes can kill the print.  I always dress around the firearm.  We were always taught that plain clothes meant concealment, so you found ways to work around it.  My wife used to be that way.  She was from MN and was told all guns were bad.  I explained to her my job entailed carrying a firearm, and she should learn firearm safety for herself and any children we had.  She bit, and I taught her how to shoot.  I think she could do great in competition.  Last she was shooting a Colt 1911 .45 on a reduced target and putting holes in holes.  The guy that owned the range gave her some pointers that made it tighter, as all he does is 1911's as he loves them, and competed with them.  If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.  She left the house today with her .45 ACP and another mag in tow.

Edited by Moshe
  • Thanks 1

Which is why I wear oversize clothes all year round, not a problem.  They even make very nice shirts for summer that look like buttons, but are snaps, and with one pull you have access to everything, and it is vented for sweat.  Creativity is the key.  If I threw on a smedium T, it would not work either.

• Like 1

This ^^^.   Oversized shirts, dark colors or busy patterns.  Jump up a waist size in pants if you IWB carry.  I personally prefer OWB carry and have yet to be made (that I'm aware of) aside from a family member going in for a hug.  I try to reach low for a hug, forcing recipient to reach high.  But now and then they beat me to it.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:42 PM, crockett said:

Which is why I carry a G42. T-shirt and shorts year-round in my neck. That beings said, I don't worry about printing anymore. People are flat out ignorant and they don't see ****.

That's exactly why I picked up a G42. I carry it in a pocket holster. It's invisible.

• Like 1