22 Crack Shot Rifles

DrB

Brought up 2 from the deep.  The Crack Shot rifle was my grandfathers and lived in the barn.  It was used for dispatching the pigs/cows on the farm prior to butchering. I know the history of that one.  That one shows the barn storage from the years

The othe ris stamped J.STEVENS A.&T.Co  Chioopee Falls.Mass.U.S.A. On top of the receiver is stamped FAVORITE.  Has an Octagon barrel stamped 22 Long Rifle.  This one is either my grandfathers or his fathers. I don't know the exact history. This one is not in too bad shape considering the years.  It has a walnut stock you don't see on many rifles these days.

A couple of projects for me if and when I retire.

Yea I know, you all want some pictures..  Late in the night for that now.

Dave..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrB said:

Here you are. A quick photo..

Crack Shot.jpg

My grandfather had one of those. I took up residence in the small coat closet just inside the entryway to his house.

Grandma would use it to dispatch pesky birds that would crap on her picnic table. She would open the kitchen window and get them with one shot at 20 yards

I also remember on more than one occasion when Grandpa would decide that fresh rabbit would be good for dinner. He would walk out into the entryway, put on his boots and grab the rifle to head out behind the tractor shed. Shortly after that, you would hear a single shot followed by Grandpa and his skinned and gutted dinner walking back to the house. Grandma would then prepare his dinner before dispatching the next picnic table shitting bird.

• Like 3

Old heirloom 22s have the best backstories. Not always fancy, not always great condition, but always most storied. Thanks for sharing. 

July '66 mfg Remington 550-1 Speedmaster that belonged to my dad. He zeroed it and typed up the info when he was in 10th Grade. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, DrB said:

Brought up 2 from the deep.  The Crack Shot rifle was my grandfathers and lived in the barn.  It was used for dispatching the pigs/cows on the farm prior to butchering. I know the history of that one.  That one shows the barn storage from the years

The othe ris stamped J.STEVENS A.&T.Co  Chioopee Falls.Mass.U.S.A. On top of the receiver is stamped FAVORITE.  Has an Octagon barrel stamped 22 Long Rifle.  This one is either my grandfathers or his fathers. I don't know the exact history. This one is not in too bad shape considering the years.  It has a walnut stock you don't see on many rifles these days.

A couple of projects for me if and when I retire.

Yea I know, you all want some pictures..  Late in the night for that now.

Dave..

The only Stevens I own is a single shot 20 gauge.  It was my father's duck gun when he was a lad.

19 hours ago, Moshe said:

The only Stevens I own is a single shot 20 gauge.  It was my father's duck gun when he was a lad.

There was a lot of those up here in my youth when I was rabbit hunting.  Farm boys, we never had the fancy guns.

Dave

12 hours ago, Historian said:

You bet they are. I love guns with history.

Years ago, a woman I worked with decided to sell all her husband's guns.  He'd died and she didn't want them in the house anymore.

Of the guns I sold for her, the hardest one to sell was a Marlin model 90, .410/.22lr.  I didn't have the money to buy it for what I thought it was worth at the time so I sold it to an older gentleman for something like $150.  Later I found out what I had had and was most disappointed in myself.  I shot it some while I had it and it was a very fine weapon.  It was mostly in the white but it was solid and locked up very tightly.

If only I had known.  My instant love for that gun should have told me something.

18 minutes ago, Wrango said:

If only I had known.  My instant love for that gun should have told me something.

I have a few firearms that are that instant love at first site.    That would make an interesting thread.  Your model 90 looks like a gentleman's gun.

.22s will that that to you.  It's like the charm of a pretty lady.  Once they smile at us its all over.

I ended up buying a .22 Browning Lever that is a darling.   They also had a Winchester .22 magnum.   I should have taken both.