Auto-Ejecting Revolver

Eric

38 minutes ago, Eric said:

Sort of. Interesting design. 

In the world of patenting, If they hadn't mentioned the ability to eject each round after it was fired, it would be an opening for someone else to patent that function as an embellishment.  So they did a good thing for themselves by making it a part of the patent.

I think the top break revolvers have a lot going for them, especially for smaller bore and/or lighter recoiling cartridges.

The frame arrangement is weak compared to Peacemaker style and swing cylinder and probably develops side to side wobble after awhile. And the mechanism which flips the ejector as the gun is opened probably wears rapidly. 

Probably reloading a break top is more rapid than Peacemaker style frame/cylinder arrangements. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 1:05 AM, railfancwb said:

I think the top break revolvers have a lot going for them, especially for smaller bore and/or lighter recoiling cartridges.

The frame arrangement is weak compared to Peacemaker style and swing cylinder and probably develops side to side wobble after awhile. And the mechanism which flips the ejector as the gun is opened probably wears rapidly. 

Probably reloading a break top is more rapid than Peacemaker style frame/cylinder arrangements. 

One of the guns in my safe is my wife’s dad’s dad’s old cowboy gun, a .38 S&W break top. We shot it once just to make sure it worked ok and then cleaned it and put it away. Neat little piece of history.