I need a new coat for this winter. Pick one for me.

jame

I'm the maintenance manager of an assisted living facility, and I drew the short straw, so I do resident transport, too.  That means I'm in and out a lot, many times standing for several minutes at a time as I assist elderly folks in to the sprinter we use for transport.

I'm a farm guy, and I used to duck hunt a lot, so my go to used to be Carhartt for the farm or a Columbia hunting parka for the blinds.  I'm still a fan of both of the brands, but I'd like to combine the toughness of the Carhartt with the flexibility and water proofing of my old Columbia hunting parka.

Are there any cops or EMS guys out there that have the flexibility to choose their own apparel?  IF so, what's your choice for this kind of duty?

(Worthy of note: I'm in Iowa, and winter can be downright bone crushing, combining high winds with deep cold. Sub zero wind chills are pretty common here, especially after mid December.  Freezing rain isn't out of the question, either.)

Well, you're right on all counts!  For me, that "rather expensive" part rings true as well, but that is some good looking outdoor gear.  It looks like it's cut for a more "athletic" build, but I'm sure just sizing up one should be fine.  

I'll consider it as one of the options.  Thanks for the tip!

I was just visiting the Cabela's website, as they always treated me well back when we were hunting hard.

They also have a pretty good selection of North Face and Clam Outdoors, and if you have any experience with them, I'd love to hear it.

I have local access to Scheel's Sports and Bass Pro, so I think I might try to go get a little hands on this weekend, if we don't begin harvest by then.

i wear Carhartt arctic extreme coat mostly here in the cold (Dec-Feb)

it sheds water and snow fast and is very warm and has lasted me for years.

when i had to do roadside or service calls i wore a Blauer Uniform Hi-Vis Duty jacket and it is warm if i dressed in layers,but it was twice the cost of the Carhartt most winter Duty jackets are more expensive in comparison.

in the fall i wear a Carhartt Twill work jacket,its a uniform jacket its warm enough.

best i can do for work clothes and not dress coats and jackets.

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 10:57 PM, holyjohnson said:

i wear Carhartt arctic extreme coat mostly here in the cold (Dec-Feb)

it sheds water and snow fast and is very warm and has lasted me for years.

when i had to do roadside or service calls i wore a Blauer Uniform Hi-Vis Duty jacket and it is warm if i dressed in layers,but it was twice the cost of the Carhartt most winter Duty jackets are more expensive in comparison.

in the fall i wear a Carhartt Twill work jacket,its a uniform jacket its warm enough.

best i can do for work clothes and not dress coats and jackets.

I’m a big fan of the cathartic artic wear! I work outdoors a lot and never get cold when bundled up in my car Hart’s! They last many years as well!

• Like 1

I just took advantage of Midway's 30% off sale on a Carhartt jacket, but I heard you say you wanted a different brand.

I think this one may be warmer than necessary in CA, but I'm pretty psyched to see what it looks like when it get here tomorrow. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/644175/carhartt-mens-sandstone-full-swing-sherpa-lined-jacket-cotton

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you can wear camo, save your money and go Sitka. If you have to be more subdued, save your money, layer and go Filson. 

I was a duck hunting guide for seven years. I started hunting at age seven.  I’ve neen at it 47 years. Sitka and Filson are hard to beat but they are expensive. 

I was paramedic for 20 years in Metro St. Louis area. For me, I dressed in layers and most of the winter I wore UnderArmor, uniform, and light jacket. Since I was in and out so much, if I wore a heavy coat I would cook (seems older people like their houses set at 80+). I did have a hi-viz heavy winter coat that I carried in the unit for when I would get stuck out on car wrecks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nothing more classic than a Navy Pea Coat. They look good any time it is worn, warm, etc. Also I own and wear a military styled hooded parka, all nylon so wind and water resistant, zipper and button front, 4 pockets on the front, functional, poly fill.

• 3 months later...

There's only one choice in outerwear, Barbour.

https://www.barbour.com/us/barbour-borderr-wax-jacket

I've got one of these that's over 30 years old. I've had it proofed several times, still looks good. You can get liners for more warmth, hoods for rain.

My wife got me a new one about ten years ago, said mine looked too worn. I sent mine for another proofing and still wear it. Haven't worn the new one yet.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, G23c said:

Were lucky here in Texas, never need any hard-use outerwear. Carhartt is more than enough.

Speak for yourself, it is a lovely sunny day almost up to 45 degrees, and ponding everywhere.  My skinny old bones, don't have a lot of insulation left  I couldn't sleep last night for the front moving in, and every damn injury and joint were on fire.  I was up to 0330 binge watching "American Gothic" (Old I know, so am I).  I tried to sleep then, but some bored teen with no muffler thought it would be great to go up the road and come back again and again.  So, sleep didn't come.  I am surprised I am actually cogent today.  Though, like I used to do, I need to flex those brain cells to remember the pedestrian things I need to do before the Shabbat.  But, if I feel like this tomorrow, I will be hibernating.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I liked the suggestion of a Russian great coat.

Options:

1.  In Nepal, I took the layered approach as I would go through varying conditions during the day;

2.  I have multiple coats/windbreakers from shopgoodwill.com!  Yes, Goodwill cleans what they sell.  Moreover, you are going to be in conditions when your outerwear is going to be repeatedly stained. 

3.  Yes, as an REI member, I have been known to test a target item for size in the store and then purchase the same item cheaper on line.

• 1 month later...