Anyone think they had the Wuhan Red Death?

Al Czervik

I am just getting over something that utterly kicked my ass for several days, unlike anything I have previously experienced.  It was like getting hit by a bus and subsequently run over by an elephant herd.  I suspect the Wuhan Red Death as the culprit.

Anyone else in the community have similar experiences?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

in Feb. the Wife and i (she infected me!) got a pretty bad bout.

we both had chest pains,hard to Breath, Sinus Issues, Terrible Body aches, Dry Cough, Fever, Etc, Etc.

Basically all the Symptoms of the Kung Flu.

for about a day i couldn't taste anything or smell almost anything at all, which i kept saying during it and was later considered a symptom.

so i`m Guessing we had it along with probably a Million other Americans and didn't even know what we had my wife`s Semester started and was three classes full of Students so it was before Spring Break and before anyone cared or knew.

it wasn't until after that it all blew up.

the worst for me was it felt like someone had a Death Grip on my heart and spine my back hurt so bad for 2 days.

Thankfully she got it First and i could take care of her.

but yes, hit by a bus is accurate.

Glad you got past it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• Administrators

I was visiting friends in Flagstaff in early February. My buddy got sick, then me, then everyone in his shop. I had a dry cough for a week, a lot of sinus congestion and pressure and some aches. I had a fever intermittently for several days and I coughed for a couple of weeks. The last week of coughing started bringing stuff up.

Covid-19 wasn’t  really on our RADAR back then, but I remember thinking that it was an unusual cold/flu bug. Flagstaff gets a lot of tourist traffic headed for the Grand Canyon and a lot of that traffic is Asian. I think it is entirely possible that we caught the bug before it became fashionable. Whatever it was, it was unpleasant, but I never felt I was in any trouble. It didn’t even lay me up, although I slept a little more while I was getting over it. There was one night that i had the chills bad enough that I wrapped up head-to-foot in a quilt and I was running a fever, but it wasn’t a really high fever and that only happened the one night. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The end of February and into early March I had the worst respiratory infection of my 50-some-odd-year life.   I was having so much trouble breathing my body was reguarlly going into dry-heaves in it's effort to get air into my lungs. 

While I am better, I still have an intermittent cough and my stamina has decined significantly - I get winded very quickly now. 

I tried to get an appointment with my Doctor but they would not even give me an option for an in-person visit.  I had to wait 10 days for a phone visit.  She said I had something that was just going arround and not to worry about it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I had to go on a trip in early March and when I got back I had some fatigue and it felt like a bit of a fever for part of a day.  I think that could have been it.  That is often all I get out of stuff that lays the rest of the family up.  If they get the immunity test out so we can see who had it I will not be surprised either way.

I think a LOT of people have had it with very mild symptoms.  That helps to make the numbers make sense.  My current theory is if you get it through the air - bad, through contact - mild.  Explains Japans low numbers since they all wear masks anyway, also explains NYC and Italy with tight populations.  I don't think Italy ever did do masks.

• Like 2

Probably in January. We went on a cruise to Mexico and went through NOLA. Not too much to talk about. Fever for 2-3 days, broke with aspirin, felt cruddy, but always do with fever, and a cough that just sucked. Pretty dry and constant enough for several days that I thought I had broken a rib. Just a pulled muscle, thankfully. It lasted about 8-10 days IIRC.  The other symptoms were pretty much over with by day 3 or 4.

LostWife fared much better, but she has the use of both lungs.

Otherwise, not a whole lot of fan fare. Didn't go to the Dr., but we don't run there for everything, there was no test at the time and for the most part it wasn't on the radar here. Just reading the symptoms and going through the BS out there, it is hard to say.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

The dear husband had to fly to and from Sacramento in February,  He came home with a high fever, aching all over (he said even the hair on his head ached), feeling like he was run over by a truck.  No cough, though.  The fever broke that night, and he felt better in 3 days.  No one else in the house got sick.  I don't know if he had some weird variation of the symptoms, or some other bug.  I had one day of the weird feeling of my scalp aching when my hair moved, but my joints, etc., ache a lot of the time, anyway, so I wrote that off as just another weird neurological symptom lacking any medical explanation so far.  I do wonder if he had the virus, though.  None of us has been sick since.

• Like 2

We had a very close call and perhaps the experience.  

Little historian was hit with something that lasted about a week and was mild with a 101 fever, cough, sinuses and we thought it was just something kids get.  The wife on the other hand has a patient who was just removed from a ventilator.  He's breathing with o2 and getting better every day...but both he and his wife had it.

To some extent were sitting ducks as the wife is a nurse and i work in public safety.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

I have the yellow fever...

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.michaelan

This **** right here...

I gots tha weasels in mah chess, an a jellyfish comin' out mah nose.

Fortunately, I appear to have somehow avoided the Wu-Flu. Staying home, wearing a mask at the grocery store, etc.  I sincerely hope that you guys actually had it, and have built an immunity.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

This **** right here...

I gots tha weasels in mah chess, an a jellyfish comin' out mah nose.

Fortunately, I appear to have somehow avoided the Wu-Flu. Staying home, wearing a mask at the grocery store, etc.  I sincerely hope that you guys actually had it, and have built an immunity.

We just finished the moon of the yellow wind here.

Yeah, I hope so too.  I hope my sense of smell comes back at some point.  I'd say it is about 20% at present.

• Like 1

With mine,  I felt just fine getting home on a Friday.  On Sunday, I started feeling icky.  Traveling through airports on Monday,  I felt bad.

I worked Tuesday through Thursday with a most wicked cough and snot-face and fatigue.  I bought a thermometer and it never went over, like, 100.2*.

Started feeling much better over the weekend,  and by Monday I felt just fine.

Vegas is the best! place to share diseases and virus'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I have the yellow fever...

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.michaelan

Yep. That nonsince is running rampant. Then it cools off and after a couple of days of warm, here it goes again 90 yesterday, 70's today, Monday and Tuesday are calling for 57-59 for high temps. Spring has been bi polar more than usual.

1 hour ago, Presguy said:

For those who think they might have had it, it might be worth it to look into antibody tests as the immediate crisis begins to clear.

The tests isn't meant for showing an active infection (though it will). It will show if your body is carrying antibodies - which shows you might have had and cleared the infection already. It's not a guarantee of immunity, but when considered correctly, it's a good clue.

A lot of countries and major healthcare/science orgs are hinting that a positive antibody test could become part of an "immunity passport" or "immunity certificate" that might be used to help get people out and working again.

Granted, all this stuff is chaning lighting fast, but it sounds like a promising idea. There's a clinic near by house that's going to start doing them tomorrow, for about $600. If the line isn't absolutely brutal, I'm gonna try to get it done. While I didn't have any of the crazy illnesses a lot of you guys have, I travel a lot, and live in a big city. Learning that I had an asymptomatic infection and now have antibodies (even if it's unlikely), would be welcome news for me.

i`ll sign up for it if/ when it becomes available.

i think the Antibody test and Certificate of not being contagious will be required at some point.

but there's more then a few vulnerable people i know that i`d rather not see with this Sickness.

also cool a little bit of me would be floating around in some many people.......

On the antibody note- your body produces different antibodies for different things. when you have an infection RIGHT NOW, you produce IgM (M for minute). After the infection is GONE, you produce IgG. There's a couple other types, but those two are relevant to the current disease.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, janice6 said:

One of my business trips to Boulder, CO We had a hell of a wind down the mountain.  I had never seen piles of yellow pollen on inside window sills before.

I guess you have never been in the south.  It gets so bad you can't see through the car windows after it sits about 1 day.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2