What do you look for in a knife?

TXUSMC

I bought a new knife the other day - a Gerber Mini-Covert Auto. My wife, not a knife person but who knows I have a drawer full of knives and multi-tools, asked what was wrong with the other knives I had previously purchased. I replied, ”Nothing, just wanted to get this one.” Got me to thinking — what exactly attracts me to a particular knife?

For me, I put stock in these attributes: USA-made, good steel, blade length and thickness, fit and finish, handle material, and a harder to define quality of “looks good”.

Almost all of my knives and multi-tools were made by one of the following companies: Benchmade, Emerson, Gerber, Buck, and Leatherman. Also have a couple made by Victorinox. None of them are high dollar stuff ($150+); but, I buy knives in the same way I buy shoes or boots: money spent to insure quality will be recouped in years of use ( similarly, if you buy cheap footwear, you’ll pay later in foot, ankle, knee, and hip issues).

One last thing: I don’t like getting knives as gifts, because the person who buys it generally knows I like knives, but hasn’t a clue about what I look for in a knife. Accordingly, it’s generally a Chinese-made product with zero appeal to me. I accept it with gratefulness, and it goes home and into the shoebox of never-to-be-used Chinese-made knives.

Any of you picky about your sharp objects?

14 minutes ago, TXUSMC said:

I bought a new knife the other day - a Gerber Mini-Covert Auto. My wife, not a knife person but who knows I have a drawer full of knives and multi-tools, asked what was wrong with the other knives I had previously purchased. I replied, ”Nothing, just wanted to get this one.” Got me to thinking — what exactly attracts me to a particular knife?

For me, I put stock in these attributes: USA-made, good steel, blade length and thickness, fit and finish, handle material, and a harder to define quality of “looks good”.

Almost all of my knives and multi-tools were made by one of the following companies: Benchmade, Emerson, Gerber, Buck, and Leatherman. Also have a couple made by Victorinox. None of them are high dollar stuff ($150+); but, I buy knives in the same way I buy shoes or boots: money spent to insure quality will be recouped in years of use ( similarly, if you buy cheap footwear, you’ll pay later in foot, ankle, knee, and hip issues).

One last thing: I don’t like getting knives as gifts, because the person who buys it generally knows I like knives, but hasn’t a clue about what I look for in a knife. Accordingly, it’s generally a Chinese-made product with zero appeal to me. I accept it with gratefulness, and it goes home and into the shoebox of never-to-be-used Chinese-made knives.

Any of you picky about your sharp objects?

I don't know your personal situation, but if my wife asked me that, I would ask her why she had more than one child.  She already  had one, so wasn't one enough?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Buy your first $100 knife, the second one is easier.  And it goes up from there.  

Randalls... have mercy.   Once i had one all other hunting knives became less interesting.

Worth the price.  I have two in the pipeline. One is 20 month away(ish) the other about 5 years.  I try to order one every 2 or 2.5 years.  Waiting on a 5 inch camp and trail and an Alaskan skinner.   Next order will be a Number 1 fighting knife. 

Case Pocket knives...for regular carry and just a good folder.  Love them.  Especially the one's ive received as presents from my family.

For work...Benchmade...i carried a McHenry and Williams for almost 20 years before i transition to the Adamas.  I could cleave off a section of my state into the ocean with that knife.

• Like 2

Have owned two Randall’s. The first, a Model 14, was stolen from my stateroom aboard a Navy ship while I was ashore on an exercise. The second, a Model 15, was mine until I gave it to my son just before he went to Iraq in 2003. He still has it.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Historian said:

How does it feel in hand and is it the right tool for the job.

I love great knives. 

Good tools  have that feeling that they belong in your hand.  I've found that with most of my tools.  it seems the better they feel the better they work, it's like you get attuned to them.

City boy here.  I generally look for a pocket knife that can comfortably sit in a pocket along with a cell phone.  And, if it is a decent whittling knife, so much the better.  My Benchmade Mini Freak fits the bill.  Although, when I'm gardening I often carry my Cold Steel Tuff Lite (which at $29 is a real bargain).  I used the Tuff Lite to remove the knots from several birch and ash branches I was working on and it held an edge without a hiccup.  When I hike, I carry either a Benchmade Bugout or a Benchmade 530.  Both of these knifes are thin and can be jostled around comfortably with a big old 'smartphone' in the pocket.

Mini Freak 

8jrfc6s2iob01.jpg

Cold Steel Tuff Lite

CS-20LTG.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like my regular carry knife to have a blade between 3.25" and 3.75" and a handle length of 4.3" to 5" that combines a reasonably slim carry profile and weight. I have lots of Benchmade, Spyderco, Microtech, Emerson and others to choose from but the Emerson A100 has been in my pocket at least 90% of the time these last for years since I got my first one with a Spyderco Endura  or Benchmade Presidio often being in my LH pocket. There are plenty of great choices out there but the A100 with 3.6" blade, 4.8" handle @ 4.9 ounces is the best choice IMO.

IMG_0322.jpg

• Like 1

I haven’t bought a fighting knife since I got out of the Army ages ago but I decided to pick this bad mamajama up just for the hell of it. 

the damn thing is razor sharp and seems to be as well built as my other Ek Commando Knife that was made in the old Richmond shop.  Too bad Ka-Bar made this version to be the presentation07C95449-F742-4EBA-83F7-3A08FA889EA4.thumb.jpeg.b2f6b279f4ef9fe62f587c11a6e65afe.jpegD2E9E831-159A-4618-8ECE-E4147EE62F19.thumb.jpeg.b1a19d785403eeed6b9631c25a1111b0.jpeg14AEF7FC-273C-4B88-AAF0-723191BADA64.thumb.jpeg.69445738443bb919de5af95beb739f47.jpeg model and marking the 1095 steel one for use. 

put a bead blast finish on this sucker and it should still be viable for modern war service. Even the leather sheath still works. 

• Like 1