Covid Cure Idea

tadbart

Let me preface this with the statement that there are a LOT of really intelligent people here of many scientific and medical backgrounds, and I want to bounce a thought off of you guys.

So this virus, it binds to a cell receptor called the ACE-2 receptor. We already have drugs that bind to multiple receptors, including Angiotensin Receptor Blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers, Beta Blockers, and opiate blockers like Narcan.

So, since we already know where this bug binds, what prevents us from designing a drug that binds to that site? Instead of worrying about killing, it, just make the human body inhospitable to it.

Just something I been chewing on today. I'm sure there's chemists and scientists already on the case, just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All signs show that coronavirus an virus should not be difficult to defeat. It’s danger us it’s high contagion 

i think we will eventually have a vaccine for the elderly and pre existing conditions like asthma and COPD. 

Along the lines of the Shingles shot or Pneumonia shot. The “flu shot” changes every year for the expected strain.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

Let me preface this with the statement that there are a LOT of really intelligent people here of many scientific and medical backgrounds, and I want to bounce a thought off of you guys.

So this virus, it binds to a cell receptor called the ACE-2 receptor. We already have drugs that bind to multiple receptors, including Angiotensin Receptor Blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers, Beta Blockers, and opiate blockers like Narcan.

So, since we already know where this bug binds, what prevents us from designing a drug that binds to that site? Instead of worrying about killing, it, just make the human body inhospitable to it.

Just something I been chewing on today. I'm sure there's chemists and scientists already on the case, just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts.

I don't see any problem but remember, this isn't my field.  The real problem is that as soon as a preventative or cure is found, no matter what, it will take a year or two to get into the public.

By that time it will have run it's course for now.  Pretty much nothing can be done to prevent it from infecting people now, Flattening the cure simply means that you slow it down but not prevent anything.

Until you have anti-bodies, it's not preventable.

Edited by janice6

Been reading a lot since the OP. There are scientists on this case, and they noted that the actual receptor site is deep in the cell, therefore hard to get to with a key or plug, the blocking drugs I described. Not an impossible task, but it's gonna take some molecular engineering to get it right, if they choose to go that route over vaccination and antibody production.

Again, the red tape of tests and blind studies will slow ANY treatment down. I was just sober for a bit too long this afternoon and started chewing on this idea. Turns out, I ain't the first to ponder it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that is what hydroxychloroquine does.  It doesn't involve the receptors, but the overall ability of the virus to replicate.  It helps move zinc through cell walls, and the zinc disrupts the ability of the virus to replicate.  A California doctor is reporting very good success with HCQ and zinc. 

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this you on Reddit?

DRmike says:

No. ACE inhibitors block ACE receptors. These are different from ACE2 receptors, which the virus attached to, and ACE inhibitors don't touch them. (It's not relevant to this, but ACE converts angiotensin I to angiotensin II, they don't block the angiotensin receptors, those are ARBs).

Edited by RenoF250
  • Like 1

Without testing everyone for active cases or antibody testing, we'll never have accurate data.  But, with the host of different coronaviri farm and hunting people are exposed to throughout their lives from barn cats, to turkeys, cows, pigs, etc., I do wonder if any have enough similarity to offer some degree of immunity like cowpox/smallpox.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 9:41 AM, Al Czervik said:

Without testing everyone for active cases or antibody testing, we'll never have accurate data.  But, with the host of different coronaviri farm and hunting people are exposed to throughout their lives from barn cats, to turkeys, cows, pigs, etc., I do wonder if any have enough similarity to offer some degree of immunity like cowpox/smallpox.

I was wondering the same about testing antibodies in people who live in primitive huts, etc. where they might be in close proximity to bats (the alleged original carrier of this virus).

• Like 1