Bored, so I finished a 03A3 out from the Cosmoline

DrB

A Remington.  S-stock no finger grroves.  Stock has a couple of Cartouches, P on bottom under the trigger guard, JA and Crossed Cannons Left side up from trigger area.

Barrel is RA dated 5-43 with the Flaming Bomb, 2 Groove .  MW is little over a 1 on CMP Gauge which is around .301.  Have not checked the TE yet

I did not have to much anything to bring it back.  Just cleaned the cosmoline. Sweating it out of the stock was the time consuming part.

Probably going to give it away after I shoot it.  Cool project..

Dave.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

:whistling:  I always wanted one of those.  How did you sweat the cosmoline out of it?

it was a long process over a couple of years.  Was just something I was not in a hurry to finish.  One thing I did was on hot summer days I would put papers down and put it in my truck cab in the sun and wipe it down several times a day.  At other times it would go into my cold frame under the sun.  In the winter sometimes the stock sat by my wood stove.  When most was out except for spots, it became a heat gun on those areas.  I was in no hurry....

Dave...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

I was hoping you'd post a picture.  :whistling:  Would I be wrong in imagining that the stock is very dark? 

Stock is normal deep walnut with lots of deep reds in it.  I'll get a picture but the light is not good.  Day is done and house getting dark.  If we get some sun outside I'll get a picture or two up. 

Dave. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, minervadoe said:

I remember shooting a friend's model 98 Mauser with the brass butt plate.  It's not for the faint of heart. 

Ahh ...98K's...  That's next on my list to pull out.  I have a Russian Capture that still has the blood rust on the metal and the stains on the stock.  I wish it could talk.

• Thanks 1