Why aren't the cashiers sick?

gwalchmai

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

The simple answer is that there are not as many sick people as we are led to believe.  I see the same thing.

My wife's occupation is an analyst and she has been watching all the published numbers and doing computer models. I am pretty sure she thinks the end of the world is upon us. I, on the other hand am the forager that goes out for supplies and get to see the real world.

The only thing I have noticed for certain is that zombies all wear surgical masks.

I have no doubt that this virus is real and would likely be much worse if steps were not being taken, but I am also positive that it is not nearly as bad as it is being presented to us by the media.

As far as the shutdowns go, who knows for sure, but it really seems that the cure in this case may be worse than the ill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I have a 50 and a hundred in my wallet. They've been there for over a month. I just haven't had occasion to use them. If I do I plan to have the cash put into an envelope I have, take it back home, and iron it before I carry it.

Every week I take my trash to the dump. They charge me a dollar, but I pay with a stack of ones that I've kept in an envelope in the glovebox since December.

You made me check my wallet and I found $280.  I have had it for about 10 days while my credit card is carrying the load.  I hate credit cards, but these days it's the only way businesses will sell to me so they don't have to touch my filthy money.  At this rate I'll be able to buy a couple of guns with cash!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jmohme said:

My wife's occupation is an analyst and she has been watching all the published numbers and doing computer models. I am pretty sure she thinks the end of the world is upon us. I, on the other hand am the forager that goes out for supplies and get to see the real world.

The only thing I have noticed for certain is that zombies all wear surgical masks.

I have no doubt that this virus is real and would likely be much worse if steps were not being taken, but I am also positive that it is not nearly as bad as it is being presented to us by the media.

As far as the shutdowns go, who knows for sure, but it really seems that the cure in this case may be worse than the ill.

My wife said she might feel more comfortable with a mask and gloves to go shopping this evening.  If it appears there are more people than she's comfortable with. 

So I went into my painting supplies and gave her a box of 100 masks and a box of gloves.  I don't think she appreciates that by my giving them to her, my midnight escapades are being brought to a screeching halt!:evil_lol:

I'm sorry that your wife has those concerns (figuratively, not literally).  It does wear on a person to only hear bad news.  I hope she feels better along the way.

Edited by janice6

48 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My wife said she might feel more comfortable with a mask and gloves to go shopping this evening.  If it appears there are more people than she's comfortable with. 

So I went into my painting supplies and gave her a box of 100 masks and a box of gloves.  I don't think she appreciates that by my giving them to her, my midnight escapades are being brought to a screeching halt!:evil_lol:

I'm sorry that your wife has those concerns (figuratively, not literally).  It does wear on a person to only hear bad news.  I hope she feels better along the way.

Thank you for your concerns over her wellbeing. She does watch the trends closely and is worried about the world in general, but I am also pretty sure she feels safe enough in the little fortress we have built for ourselves.

My biggest concern as of today is that there will come point when I can no longer squeeze through the doorway. The barn where she goes to ride her horse shut down last week. That has been her only escape through all of this so in her boredom she has been baking all weekend.  Two kinds of bread yesterday. Apricot pastries this morning, and apple bread this afternoon.

I think I have gained 20 lbs just being in the same house as her!

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

You made me check my wallet and I found $280

Strange, I just lost that exact amount..  Can you credit that back to me?  I just need your SSN ,your bank account numbers and a current credit card with the CVS.  That way I can credit your account with a tip of $500.00 for being honest and reterning my money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrB said:

Strange, I just lost that exact amount..  Can you credit that back to me?  I just need your SSN ,your bank account numbers and a current credit card with the CVS.  That way I can credit your account with a tip of $500.00 for being honest and reterning my money.

Absolutely!  It's good to know who the real owner is.  The check's in the mail...……..  But, the postman says that because to the social distancing, he can't give it to you for another few months.  Isn't this sequestering a bitch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Absolutely!  It's good to know who the real owner is.  The check's in the mail...……..  But, the postman says that because to the social distancing, he can't give it to you for another few months.  Isn't this sequestering a bitch!

The routing number and account number would work just fine, please send that instead.  No sense making this more complicated than it needs to be.  I'll deposit an extra $500.00 in your account because you are so honest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll take a stab at your question. The people cashiers deal with are healthy enough to be out shopping. Meanwhile nurses and doctors, dealing with the sickest, are getting sick themselves. The lucky ones will survive, too many healthcare providers have already died.

The U.S. was late to taking this virus serious. We're playing catch up to a virus we know little about. Plus, the virus is wildly variable for unknown reasons. One person has mild aches and pains for a few weeks while another becomes ill suddenly and despite aggressive health care, dies 6 hours later.

In time we will understand this enemy well. Until them we just have questions.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 1

China follows the Art of War to the letter.  In chapter 4 it clearly states:

"In a stealthy WMD attack, cashiers should be infected as carriers to spread the infection.  Only then will time be right for battle"

• Like 1