Why aren't the cashiers sick?

gwalchmai

This keeps bothering me. The cashiers at our grocery stores don't wear masks, and they're interacting with hundreds of customers every day, mostly at distances of less than six feet. They should be canaries in the coal mine and should all be gone by now. Yet I see the same bunch every week.

It ain't fittin', it just ain't fittin'.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was in a farm and home type store yesterday and all the cashiers were wearing mask, gloves, and behind a plexiglass partition.  There was just enough room to place your item under the plexiglass on the counter.  It was weird.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Aldis has plastic shields around the cashiers station and they are wearing gloves. The Dollar Tree had one cashier wearing a paper mask and rubber gloves. Our cashier had no mask or gloves. The cashiers at the grocery store weren't wearing masks or gloves. But every one of these stores had stickers on the floor at six foot increments for propper distancing. Then the cashiers were face to face with the customers except Aldis. tom. :dunno:

Edited by deputy tom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

This keeps bothering me. The cashiers at our grocery stores don't wear masks, and they're interacting with hundreds of customers every day, mostly at distances of less than six feet. They should be canaries in the coal mine and should all be gone by now. Yet I see the same bunch every week.

It ain't fittin', it just ain't fittin'.

The simple answer is that there are not as many sick people as we are led to believe.  I see the same thing.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

Aldis has plastic shields around the cashiers station and they are wearing gloves. The Dollar Tree had one cashier wearing a paper mask and rubber gloves. Our cashier had no mask or gloves. The cashiers at the grocery store weren't wearing masks or gloves. But every one of these stores had stickers on the floor at six foot increments for propper distancing. Then the cashiers were face to face with the customers except Aldis. tom. :dunno:

When I went to the liquor store two clerks were horsing around behind the counter and customers were coming and going like normal.  No precautions and nobody was worried.  It was a city Liquor store so I going to assume that this is "city policy".

As I left, one clerk hollered to me, " Don't forget that we are here for you!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

When I went to the liquor store two clerks were horsing around behind the counter and customers were coming and going like normal.  No precautions and nobody was worried.  It was a city Liquor store so I going to assume that this is "city policy".

As I left, one clerk hollered to me, " Don't forget that we are here for you!"

Our gov closed all of the liquor stores indefinitely. I wish they were privatized. tom. :fred:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I was in the NJ/NYC area.  People were terrified beyond belief.  Tyvek suits, and every thing.  At one place they had buckets of some liquid and if you paid in cash they opened the lid and you threw your money in (i almost made a wish),  then they gave you change from the cashier.

Two hours away,  in central PA....  nothing.  No masks, no gloves.  No obvious concern at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, deputy tom said:

Our gov closed all of the liquor stores indefinitely. I wish they were privatized. tom.

Gun stores and liquor stores are considered essential here in Ohio.  Drive across the border..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I was in the NJ/NYC area.  People were terrified beyond belief.  Tyvek suits, and every thing.  At one place they had buckets of some liquid and if you paid in cash they opened the lid and you threw your money in (i almost made a wish),  then they gave you change from the cashier.

Two hours away,  in central PA....  nothing.  No masks, no gloves.  No obvious concern at all.

They should be, but they keep electing the same idiots.

• Haha 2

I've wondered about them handling all that money that's been handled by thousands of people. I was in a market the other day for the first time in two weeks and the card machine ate my credit card. The cashier couldn't figure out how to get it out but there was a security guard in line behind me who used another credit card to dig it out. He totally saved my life because getting another card from the bank would be really hard because the banks are closed.

Then I still had to pay for my groceries and didn't want to take the chance of losing my card again so I asked if I could use cash because I wasn't sure if they were dealing with cash, but no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

I maintain that the people want and need the closeness and security they believe they get from being immersed in people, are those who gravitate to the major cities out of need. 

Again, I believe they need the approval and tightness of others to feel any self worth.  They live off the other people.  Without them they are lost.  Could it be that they are not comfortable in their own skin...………….  With themselves.     Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I have a 50 and a hundred in my wallet. They've been there for over a month. I just haven't had occasion to use them. If I do I plan to have the cash put into an envelope I have, take it back home, and iron it before I carry it.

Every week I take my trash to the dump. They charge me a dollar, but I pay with a stack of ones that I've kept in an envelope in the glovebox since December.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DrB said:

Gun stores and liquor stores are considered essential here in Ohio.  Drive across the border..

Thanks. Gun stores are essential here but the state run liquor stores are not. Wolf claimed to be acting in behalf of the employees and customers safety. What an ass. tom. :shakehead:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

Thanks. Gun stores are essential here but the state run liquor stores are not. Wolf claimed to be acting in behalf of the employees and customers safety. What an ass. tom. :shakehead:

I'm mixing up a Rum and Coke right now...  Cheers...  Stay Safe...

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If most/all government employees were closed out and wondering how they could buy food and meet bills like most non-government employees, the news might be different. 

Are the employees of government owned and operated liquor stores which government has closed suffering the same income loss and uncertainty as are employees of privately owned businesses which government closed? I doubt it  

As has been said, most if not all jobs are essential as they provide the basic necessities of life to employees and their families. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Read somewhere that virtually all USA currency has been in contact with cocaine at some point. 

I read years ago that the testing for Cocaine on money was used to determine if it were drug money.  Now as you say, its so prevalent that all money tests positive...……...

Isn't that astounding.

34 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

At least the beer distributors are permitted to be open

Back in my early days you could not get Yuengling Beer in Ohio.  Had a friend who had family in PA.  When he visited and came back it was "West Bound and Down, Loaded Up and Truckin"

Dave...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Have read elsewhere that NYC’s proud status as a sanctuary city has packed it with disease prone and carrying illegal aliens. Who share. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1