More evidence that U.S. health system is not being overwhelmed by COVID-19

gwalchmai

Zimmerman is a pretty level-headed guy. I've found him more often right than wrong. I hope he's right.

https://behindtheblack.com/behind-the-black/points-of-information/more-evidence-that-u-s-health-system-is-not-being-overwhelmed-by-covid-19/

In an article today in the National Review focused on a lot of good coronavirus news the past week, a number stories jumped out at me, mostly focused on the surplus hospital beds available in the states of Florida, New Jersey, Washington, Maryland, Vermont, Ohio, Utah, and in southern Arizona, and in the cities of Dallas, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Orange County.

In other words, my conclusion earlier this week that the U.S. hospital system was not going to be overwhelmed by COVID-19 is proving to be true. Even in New York, which appears to have the biggest problem, they have arranged with twenty hotels to convert rooms for hospital care.

Much of this surplus is unfortunately caused by the forced lockdowns that have forbidden hospitals to do any elective surgeries (with “elective” sometimes defined so broadly that they have caused some hospitals to cut staff and hours) as well as the too-high predictions that have probably caused them to plan for more beds than they will need.

Nonetheless, these surpluses are good news.

Meanwhile, the daily death toll rose significantly today in the U.S., reaching almost 1,500, after several days where it appeared to have stabilized around 1,000. This rise is not unexpected, and further rises will also not be a surprise. The moment of truth however will be when it begins to drop, which should probably happen in less than two weeks. When that happens, we will then finally be able to get a realistic estimate of the total mortality from COVID-19.

I will add that based on the numbers of actual deaths so far in the U.S., it still appears to me that the prediction of between 100,000 to 240,000 U.S. deaths by Trump’s experts is going to be much too high, and very very wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right now I am wondering what are we going to do about all the officials that overstepped.  Likely nothing, too many think it is needed and justifiable.  They are to the point they will justify arresting the single paddle boarder in the ocean.  Totally consumed with fear I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They can't lose, they will say it wasn't worse because they acted and pretend like they are heroes.

Sweden could be a real problem for these so called experts, but they'll explain that away too, excuses for everything.

Churches should be full on easter, vote everyone else out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Right now I am wondering what are we going to do about all the officials that overstepped.  Likely nothing, too many think it is needed and justifiable.  They are to the point they will justify arresting the single paddle boarder in the ocean.  Totally consumed with fear I guess.

Over reaction is to be expected from the local and federal politicians running this show.  They have no training in anything, and in a crisis, one does something, and the next politician goes further in their reaction to show they are strong leaders in a time of "crisis". Then this regenerative effect simply propagates throughout our whole country.

Pretty soon these incompetents are falling all over themselves to carry every little thing to an extreme.  This is how we wind up locking down the citizens of this country, destroying the economy, and screwing up the logistics system.  No one seems to be able to simply target the most vulnerable of our citizens and focus on steps to minimize their infection rate and concentrate their treatment.  You  don't have to kill the host, to eliminate the virus.

You shouldn't be surprised at what is happening to our country by over reaction, when you previously heard these same people telling you that man was controlling the Earth's temperature, and not that molten ball that comprises our planet's core, nor the Sun that we receive massive amounts of energy from.  These idiots are so self centered and narcissistic that they believe we control the cosmos and not the other way around.

Our calamity is a forgone conclusion with idiots in charge everywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll guarantee that after it runs it's course,  everyone will jump up and proclaim, "Wow!  Did you see us save the world?!  We made the rules and conquered it!!!"

But it's a virus.  That will sweep through the population,  and pretty much fade away (will come back,  a little different next year, though) on its own.

Now we'll have to save the world again.

Damn Trump.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Over reaction is to be expected from the local and federal politicians running this show.  They have no training in anything, and in a crisis, one does something, and the next politician goes further in their reaction to show they are strong leaders in a time of "crisis". Then this regenerative effect simply propagates throughout our whole country.

Pretty soon these incompetents are falling all over themselves to carry every little thing to an extreme.  This is how we wind up locking down the citizens of this country, destroying the economy, and screwing up the logistics system.  No one seems to be able to simply target the most vulnerable of our citizens and focus on steps to minimize their infection rate and concentrate their treatment.  You  don't have to kill the host, to eliminate the virus.

You shouldn't be surprised at what is happening to our country by over reaction, when you previously heard these same people telling you that man was controlling the Earth's temperature, and not that molten ball that comprises our planet's core, nor the Sun that we receive massive amounts of energy from.  These idiots are so self centered and narcissistic that they believe we control the cosmos and not the other way around.

Our calamity is a forgone conclusion with idiots in charge everywhere.

Yes, I am afraid so.  It just surprises me how many pro-2A supposedly freedom loving people follow without question and call everyone that questions anything an idiot.

I wish there was a way to make a new country for actual libertarians.

There was a supposed libertarian complaining the stimulus was stupid and done terribly not because it is handing out money but he wanted it handed out more freely.  Other "libertarians" were agreeing.

people seem to have lost their minds or they just never had one.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

The USNS Mercy had twenty patients

DeBlasio asked the feds to “change the criteria” and expect the ship to be full next week

and our friend Tadbart sits at home because the beds are empty

I do. I cannot explain this. Take covid out of the picture, and I'm getting 10+ shifts a month, in a hospital whose ER should be seeing 140-160 patients a day. Since covid, most days barely break 100. We have 250ish beds upstairs. Half are empty. And this isn't just my hospital. A dear friend works at the Level 2 trauma center in Sanford (35 miles away). Her whole hospital had 80 admitted patients. Some of this can be explained by hospitals not doing elective procedures, in an attempt to keep as many people out of the hospital as possible, but that doesn't explain the low numbers of people coming into the ER.  If the wave comes (and I think it will), we'll be glad for all the bed space. If it does not come, we got some serious thinking to do about how we conduct business as a healthcare system.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

The USNS Mercy had twenty patients

I read that it was to relieve hospitals,  if overloaded,  and they never intended to allow any corona patients on it. 

The Navy doesn't want us crapping up their ship.  I don't blame them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I read that it was to relieve hospitals,  if overloaded,  and they never intended to allow any corona patients on it. 

The Navy doesn't want us crapping up their ship.  I don't blame them.

But it looks bad, so DeBlasio wants to “change the criteria” so it gets filled up.

• Thanks 1

Well, I hate to break it to you people, but I just went to the liquor store and bought two big bottles of the only real cure for a virus. Lime and Strawberry Margaritas.

If my cure doesn't work, I won't give a damn!

I bought a bottle of Strawberry Margaritas for the wife.  Now she's calling her daughters and telling them that I'm going to make her pregnant.  The first daughter couldn't stop laughing!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

My wife knew a guy who had it and died. He also had a collapsed lung and serious heart issues. And he was late 60s - early 70s. of course he was reported as a Corona fatality.

This is what I was trying to convey earlier.  The attempts to make this worse than what it is by creating numbers from their ass.

The numbers still don't add up to what they say is happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My wife said she doesn't drink "that stuff".  So I poured out a couple of shots of Strawberry Margarita into a glass and she said now she drinks that stuff!  One ice cube and a filled glass later.

NOW ya can put some Vodka in it!!!:anim_lol:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

NOW ya can put some Vodka in it!!!:anim_lol:

I don't mess with mixing, I bought it with the Tequila already in it.

At my age you have to cut corners before they know what's coming.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

Well, I hate to break it to you people, but I just went to the liquor store and bought two big bottles of the only real cure for a vires. Lime and Strawberry Margaritas.

If my cure doesn't work, I won't give a damn!

I bought a bottle of Strawberry Margaritas for the wife.  Now she's calling her daughters and telling them that I'm going to make her pregnant.  The first daughter couldn't stop laughing!

A Mexican client told me this week that that is exactly what they are doing in Mexico. Tequila. Lots of it.

The slightly tepid spot in Mexico is Aguas Calientes.  They seem to be running out of tequila. It's an emergency. Doomsday. Apocalyptic in nature.

Edited by Ricordo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

My wife said she doesn't drink "that stuff".  So I poured out a couple of shots of Strawberry Margarita into a glass and she said now she drinks that stuff!  One ice cube and a filled glass later.

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Wife said that it would appear that we are going to have some fun.  I said, "I'm all in, lets call a woman for me and a man for you"...…..

She laughed at me again...…….  So many people laugh at me...……. :(

I forgot to say that I'm completely sober now!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3