Farmers dumping milk, food service disruption has dairy industry leaders calling for help

TBO

They'd tie them to the hillsides,  to eat all the vetch.

So when you went down to your friends house,  you knew they were there, but not where.

And you knew the most jagoff goats were there, somewhere,  so you'd have to get a bunch of apples,  to defend yourself.

• Like 1

And, Dobbin, the albino stallion.  Big as a mack truck.  He hated everybody.

So,  you'd have to just run,  run,  to the apple trees,  halfway down.  Go up the tree.  Dobbin might not be here right now,  but he's here somewhere,  and you need stomped. He will really stomp you.  And bite.  If you're stand next to the fence,  while Dickie is there; the only guy that is crazy enough to put a saddle on this horse, Dobbin will chomp you in the back of the arm.  You can slug him,  but he's a mack truck.

So, you don't see him.  Just bolt,  the rest of the way.  Now you've got a psycho crazy albino freight-train, galloping right behind you.

Go into the barn,  come back,  and throw corn at him.  He takes it.  And hates you more,  when you're going home later.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Sad 1

We didn't call it a Milk Challenge in my youth.  MY father just thought it was a concentrated effort on the part of his kids to drive him bankrupt buying Milk.

When I first moved into our house we had 4 kids.  It seemed like every other day I would go to the dairy store and buy 4 gallons of milk in those wire boxes that we were supposed to return, someday.

I was ready the other day to return some but the store was long gone.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fog said:

Goes for all farmers to some degree. Around here they are paid to not grow wheat. CRP land I think it's called. Check every year to keep it growing weeds. Also erosion control areas, habitat areas, reforestation areas, the list goes on and on.

Back in the 80's, republican president and pseudo conservative Ronald Reagan started a program called "Payment In Kind" where farmers were paid not to grow wheat.  The idea was to boost wheat prices.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, PPQer said:

Back in the 80's, republican president and pseudo conservative Ronald Reagan started a program called "Payment In Kind" where farmers were paid not to grow wheat.  The idea was to boost wheat prices.

Dad decide to not raise 3x as many rabbits.

Dad hated the rabbits.

They came from the county fair.  We only got two,  but then we had 50.

We built a pen,  but they dug down and came up all over the back yard and got all wild.

A buck once ripped Dad up and almost put him in the hospital.

Dad hated guns but soon found my Red Ryder.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PPQer said:

I was at ERIM in Michigan on business and watched them checking the satellite photos of farm fields to determine if the farmers were cheating and growing crops on the land they were being paid to lay fallow.  The resolution was very good!

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, Wrango said:

They don't have to, they want to.

Not strictly true. Cows NEED to be milked on schedule, whether or not the diary’s pickup truck is coming by. And raw milk storage at the farm much beyond the regular pickup schedule isn’t possible - not enough refrigeration capacity. Cows are not like water and oil wells which can be turned on and off as needed. If you dry up a cow - which happens periodically anyway - it takes about a year to “freshen” her so she can be milked again. And cows need to be fed etc whether being milked for current revenue or freshened for future milking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Not strictly true. Cows NEED to be milked on schedule, whether or not the diary’s pickup truck is coming by. And raw milk storage at the farm much beyond the regular pickup schedule isn’t possible - not enough refrigeration capacity. Cows are not like water and oil wells which can be turned on and off as needed. If you dry up a cow - which happens periodically anyway - it takes about a year to “freshen” her so she can be milked again. And cows need to be fed etc whether being milked for current revenue or freshened for future milking. 

Trust me, I already knew this, I live in ag. country and I'll bet if I go outside right now, I can smell 'em.  It's about the $$$.  They're going to have to hunker down and wait this thing out like the rest of us.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 2:56 PM, janice6 said:

I was at ERIM in Michigan on business and watched them checking the satellite photos of farm fields to determine if the farmers were cheating and growing crops on the land they were being paid to lay fallow.  The resolution was very good!

Understand that illegal marijuana patches can be found the same way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look what this idiot said:

Trotter said. "I'm confident we can, but we need government support, we need their buy-in and solution."

Okay Mr. Trotter.  How about Pelosi and McConnell getting together and passing some laws controlling and governing "Big Milk".  AOC should take the lead on this.  After all, they're from the government and they are there to help.  

First we'll need a federal bureaucracy specifically for milk.  We'll call it the Department of Milk Production.  You'll need lawyers who specialize in milk production.  DMP will need to set production quotas to make sure everyone has equal footing, like tobacco.  Then we'll need government bureaucrats coming out to your farms and verifying compliance.  We'll need some regulations as to how your cattle are treated, and specifically what they are fed.  You'll need to submit a feeding schedule to your local DMP with samples of the food you are feeding your cattle.  Farmers will need to purchase feed analyzers to test the food you are giving your cattle, and send a report to the DMP.  Farmers will also need to purchase milk analyzers to determine the quality of the milk being produced.  Farmers will need to track individual cows health, and be audited at least annually.  Then they'll need annual inspections of farms and an annual review of the standards governing milk production.  The DMP can work with your lawyers to help make sure you understand all the regulations.  And of course, all of this will be paid for by taxes on dairy farmers, which they will pass on to the consumer.

The thing about government is, you take their money, you take their orders.

Edited by PPQer
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, janice6 said:

I can't think of a single problem that was solved by "More Government".

I hate to do this, but there was one time.  Pittman-Robertson.  Deer, turkey, and other wildlife populations were scarce before P-R.  I've often called this the only good law that's ever come out of Congress.  It actually worked.

The resulting Pittman-Robertson (P-R) Act, passed in 1937, is now known as Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration. Revenues generated from these excise taxes are apportioned to state wildlife agencies for their conservation efforts, hunter education programs, and operation of archery and shooting ranges.

Interestingly enough, people like me who typically oppose taxation are more than happy to pay this one. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 1:17 AM, railfancwb said:

Understand that illegal marijuana patches can be found the same way. 

Back in the 70s, a 172 would fly around our locale with a instrument that would alarm when it identified a specific wavelength of light from marywanna leaves.  

• Like 1