Farmers dumping milk, food service disruption has dairy industry leaders calling for help

TBO

Everybody is suffering right now.  Many of us are out of work.  Many businesses will fail.

I seem to remember dairy farmers dumping milk in front of cameras some years ago.  I think it had to do with money.  I know, crazy right?

Here's just one of many I found in less than 15 seconds of searching. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/jan/23/spilled-milk-dairy-farmers-dump-product-to/

Edited by Wrango
  • Sad 1

Dramatic gesture they do for attention.  They used to do it from time to time because of a glut in cheese.  Massive stockpiles of cheese was hurting the demand for milk to make cheese, so the farmers found cameras and started dumping milk.  It's basic supply and demand, but farmers have organized as a lobby group and have become a large group of gimme dats due to corn subsidies for ethanol production.  Farmers have become just another group with their hands out wanting free government money.  Farmers heard of the billions being thrown around and they want some. 

It's the parable of the pigs all over, and government caught their pigs.  But since farmers do actually produce a product, they aren't exactly like welfare queens, just similar in desire for free stuff from government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PPQer said:

Dramatic gesture they do for attention.  They used to do it from time to time because of a glut in cheese.  Massive stockpiles of cheese was hurting the demand for milk to make cheese, so the farmers found cameras and started dumping milk.  It's basic supply and demand, but farmers have organized as a lobby group and have become a large group of gimme dats due to corn subsidies for ethanol production.  Farmers have become just another group with their hands out wanting free government money.  Farmers heard of the billions being thrown around and they want some. 

It's the parable of the pigs all over, and government caught their pigs.  But since farmers do actually produce a product, they aren't exactly like welfare queens, just similar in desire for free stuff from government.

Goes for all farmers to some degree. Around here they are paid to not grow wheat. CRP land I think it's called. Check every year to keep it growing weeds. Also erosion control areas, habitat areas, reforestation areas, the list goes on and on.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

and i have so much Cereal...

our local Pick and Save just removed its 2 Gallon Per limit, they did not Enforce it, as i bought Three Gallons in Defiance of it!

Costco had a limit of one on butter, and several pallets of it sitting there. I like my butter so I put the usual two in the cart, figured I'd at least have some fun with it.

Didn't say a word, just rang it up and I was on my way.

Very strict limits on TP, enforced by not having any in stock.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fog said:

Costco had a limit of one on butter, and several pallets of it sitting there. I like my butter so I put the usual two in the cart, figured I'd at least have some fun with it.

Didn't say a word, just rang it up and I was on my way.

Very strict limits on TP, enforced by not having any in stock.

Milk and T.P. BOGO for the Lactose Intolerant.

be a good after The Kung Flu sale flyer...

i would`nt enforce any of that for Minimum Wage and with people acting the fool like this either.

our local Grocery cashier did`nt even look up at us in line.
although he had so much metal in his face he may not have been able to look up......

• Haha 2

We live in milk central.  All the farmers are co-op, and we get the good stuff at the grocery store.  I sometimes get raw milk from the Amish guys.  The best. Evar.

My "White Russians" are vodka and milk.  I don't have the other ingredients.

Which is ok.

But I've learned that if you drink a gallon of whole milk in one night,  the resultant constipation is the worst.  Like, holy moly! wow.

I haven't learned my lesson yet.

• Haha 2

We've got cows across the street.  They seem to like this corner of the fence,  tucked over the hill.  They lay there all day,  sleeping, and licking,  and chewing, and grazing and being cowsy.

But when the farmer's truck goes by,  and they know him, they immediately go, "MOO! MOO! MOO!!MOO! MOO! MOO!!" and all stampede over the hill.  Daddy's home!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

But, alas, the suburbs are coming.

As each farmer sells out,  we get a 200 house plan.  Built in 6 months.

I don't think the guy across the street is selling anytime soon,  his name is one of them that's on the carton.  When he dies,  his kids will sell.

• Sad 2

There's a thing called "the milk challenge",  where you have to drink a gallon of milk.  In, like, an hour, or something.

I've heard that, even, some professional football players couldn't even pull it off, and got reprimanded,  for being to barfy.

I weigh 120lbs.  I could do it right now.  Easy.  Whole milk only, please.

The first quart would take two seconds.  The next quart would take two seconds.  The third,  give me a minute.

Give me five minutes for the fourth.

Football players are *******.

• Thanks 1

There is a trick to winning the milk challenge. I've seen some pretty small dudes pull it off, and some big guys too, but it is a rare person indeed. Almost have to be raised on the stuff.

We would drink a glass warm, right out of the teat. That was pure heaven.

Put the cream on sliced strawberries in the summer. Warm milk with vanilla and a bit of honey in the winter before bed.

If we don't beat back the commies the young of today will never know such simple pleasures.:patriot:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fog said:

There is a trick to winning the milk challenge. I've seen some pretty small dudes pull it off, and some big guys too, but it is a rare person indeed. Almost have to be raised on the stuff.

We would drink a glass warm, right out of the teat. That was pure heaven.

Put the cream on sliced strawberries in the summer. Warm milk with vanilla and a bit of honey in the winter before bed.

If we don't beat back the commies the young of today will never know such simple pleasures.:patriot:

We'd shake the quarts up (from the milk box, on the front porch!),  so the cream would all mix back in.  eat Lucky Charms.

(When we were little,  we'd go camping in the local woods on weekends,  and get up before daybreak, come up the valley,  and follow the milk truck down the streets before daybreak.

And steal the chocolate milk out of the boxes.)

(So we all had gallons of chocolate milk for breakfast, and were all pretty good to go, for the day)

• Like 1