What is the neatest automobile you have driven?

tous

The rental place once gave me a Dodge Viper.  I don't know how, or why, but they did.

The speedometer went to, like, 220.  If I had been on a highway in the upper midwest,  I might have gone for it,  but I never even broke the speed limit.

I did drive it through the muddy coal-field and park it in the soggy cement plant.

They never gave me another one.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I always try to keep whatever vehicle I'm driving neat as a pin. Like thrift, a neat car is its own reward.

For a messy person, I do keep an extremely clean car interior.  I think I might wash the outside though it's been a year since I bought it.   When the snow melts it slides a lot of the grime off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

The rental place once gave me a Dodge Viper.  I don't know how, or why, but they did.

The speedometer went to, like, 220.  If I had been on a highway in the upper midwest,  I might have gone for it,  but I never even broke the speed limit.

I did drive it through the muddy coal-field and park it in the soggy cement plant.

They never gave me another one.

I posted a picture of a car I built.  Whenever I took that thing out of the garage before I had gone 3 or 4 miles I had a local police shadowing me.  It NEVER failed.  When I parked it in a shopping center to go buy something, I literally had people laying on the car to see into the inside.  It was enough to piss off the pope!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tadbart said:

F-350 Ambulance, or a 1970s Rockwell Commander.

A buddy of mine works at Daytona International Speedway, doing those Driving Experience things. maybe I should give him a call when the world starts spinning again.

A bambalance would tip over at, like, 35mph, on a Nascar track.

Unless you always kept it going sideways.

Then, you're still going to tip over,  sooner or later.

Ponch To HQ:  "Come in HQ."

HQ: "Come in."

Ponch:  "We tipped over."

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I remember a video of a guy on his hands and knees crawling up the track in a turn.

11 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I remember a video of a guy on his hands and knees crawling up the track in a turn.

We did it at Texas Motor Speedway (now defunct, I think), on some drunken free-for-all day.

We were a bunch of drunk bikers,  and you had to go horizontal, just to stick.  (I think 100mph,  but you couldn't focus on the speedometer,  because you about to crash, mostly)

Later,  after dark, when 100 bikers shouldn't have been there,  you'd jump over the wall,  and burn most of your Levis off,  sliding down the asphalt.

• Haha 1

I have driven a few Model Ts and Model As.

It takes a rocket scientists to start the danged things.

I once had  that operations manual to the F4-U Corsair.

There were mabbe twenty steps that had to be completed in order, just right, before starting the engine.

Twenty more to complete just to keep the thing in the air.

Heck, compared to the F/A-18, you just flip the battery switch to on and go flying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

He drives race cars on the track, although we both drove ambulances (ambuli?) together back in the day!

37 minutes ago, Historian said:

I kinda like my beat up 20 year old Dodge Dakota.

kinda looks like Fred Sanford;s truck.  But hell it's paid for.

I kinda like driving my 15 year old Aveo.

No I don't.

Yes I do.

I'm taking it as a personal challenge now.

I was once, at -20°, at 2 am (the bold won't go away), returning the car to the rental place, at 2am, at -20°,  and some jagoff had parked right behind me, so I couldn't get out.  There was a jersey wall in front,  and a jagoff behind.

I could call the rental place at 2am. Right. At -20°. Or a tow truck. Right.

But I got cheesed.

Put the Aveo into reverse,  and moved that guy, sideways, like, way out of the way.

And went home.

Still have the scars on my rear bumper.  Shouldn't have done that.

But I dented his quarter-panel, good.

Dick.

of all the cars i worked on or drove.

the Lamborghini LP5000 was a really neat design in everything in the car, looked great drove awful.

the neatest Mechanically was a Bentley R Mulliner , it was the most comfortable car i ever drove. the brakes and suspension work together so the car wont squat under braking the harder you brake the more the suspension counters it and if you hammered the Accelerator from a stop the car took off gradually so there was no lurching or jerking in the cabin it was really cool.also the blower motor came on slowly so there was no undignified sudden blasts of stale air.

nothing in that car was`nt intended to be the best.

• Like 2

I don't know how neat it was but is surely was the weirdest.   My ship made a port call at Valletta Malta.  I was assigned as the admiral's driver and given a tiny right hand drive passenger van.  I had never driven a right hand drive vehicle or driven on the left side of the road before.  Thankfully the pedals were in the same place but the stalks on the steering wheel shaft were reversed.   Every time I went to make a turn, I turned on the windshield wipers.   My depth perception was off a little too.  The windshield was almost straight up and down and there was no hood to speak of.  The engine was right between the front seats and there was only vertical sheet metal between me and the vehicle in front of me.

When I picked up the admiral at his hotel he asked me, "You're not going to kill me are you son?  The driver that I had yesterday tried to kill me."

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Historian said:

I kinda like my beat up 20 year old Dodge Dakota.

kinda looks like Fred Sanford;s truck.  But hell it's paid for.

I had a '94 4x4.  I got that years lemon.  Everything on that truck failed (too many things to list) except the 318 engine.  That engine ran on 5W-20  For 220,000 miles, Daily commuter, and was just like new in performance and it didn't use a drop of oil between oil changes.

I had 71,000 miles on it and the Transfer Case failed.  They said it was totally worn out and leaking like a sieve.  I told the dealer I hadn't driven the truck off road EVER.

The said they would replace it under warrantee.  I said it's out of warrantee.  The said that Chrysler would cover the cost if they asked them to.

Over $5,000 new one out of a cardboard box.

Edited by janice6

18 hours ago, pate3420 said:

The neatest would definitely a barn find 1940 Buick special straight 8... 3,200 miles and 3,200 dollars. Drove it out of the barn under its own power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot about those.

One of my Dads customers had one. I think it was a 1951. They bought it and a 51 Chevy the same year.  Both cars were rarely driven and were extremely well cared for. They got washed and waxed so frequently that the paint on the high spots of the fenders was wearing through to the primer.

That Buick straight 8 had to be the smoothes and quietest engine ever made!

Starting it was unusual too. Key on, Pull the choke and press down on the gas pedal to engage the starter. Once the engine started, a vacuum switch disengaged the starter and you were ready to take off. Definitely had to keep it in tune!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1