Beautiful Old Houses

Eric

I love old Craftsman style houses. There's one in Athens, TX that has been turned into a quilt store, and it has a large covered concrete porch. I can just imagine myself with my morning coffee, sitting on a glider, pondering the coming day. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/905+E+Tyler+St,+Athens,+TX+75751/@32.2056844,-95.839966,3a,30y,358.19h,90.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg7z6SBoqBBuB3IYQIGERbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x8648fd93c2d82b49:0x48e2a9077bc311a2!8m2!3d32.2060429!4d-95.8399581

Edited by TXUSMC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2020 at 9:18 PM, Eric said:

I’m a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright’s  designs. 

I was wondering where you were going with this, Eric, as i too love old houses.

And of course...the genius that is Frankly Lloyd Wright.     We have three houses i the city i live in that were designed by him.

You could tell by the lines of the houses you chose you leaned to his style.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Historian said:

And of course...the genius that is Frankly Lloyd Wright.     We have three houses i the city i live in that were designed by him.

I've read that Gettysburg was the price to be paid for Lee's genius. Some say the same about Wright and roofs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

I've seen houses of this design in South Louisiana, a lot. I always wondered how they looked inside. The Acadiana houses unless updated a lot, had all kinds of character.

I love those porches. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Historian said:

@Eric anf @Historian if you guys ever get a chance, I highly recommend taking a tour of Florida Southern College in Lakeland FL. Many of the buildings there were designed by FLW. It was truly a pleasure walking around that campus for 2 years!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tadbart said:

@Eric anf @Historian if you guys ever get a chance, I highly recommend taking a tour of Florida Southern College in Lakeland FL. Many of the buildings there were designed by FLW. It was truly a pleasure walking around that campus for 2 years!

Woa.  That is interesting! I had no idea who did so much with FSC!

• Like 1

Winchester House. If you go take the house tour and the tour through the basement as well. Great look at the construction and you see how the entire house moved in an earthquake. 

45EAD82C-42B5-4E1D-9201-FE93CADE15BF.jpeg

And don’t miss the firearms museum. 

The myth is that she thought the continuous constitution kept ghosts away. I think she was just lonely and liked the workers around. 

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

Winchester House. If you go take the house tour and the tour through the basement as well. Great look at the construction and you see how the entire house moved in an earthquake. 

45EAD82C-42B5-4E1D-9201-FE93CADE15BF.jpeg

And don’t miss the firearms museum. 

The myth is that she thought the continuous constitution kept ghosts away. I think she was just lonely and liked the workers around. 

There is a movie about this isn’t there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Yeah and several documentaries as well. That woman was as crazy as a shithouse rat. 

She was also very short and had hip problems. She had long stair cases made with tiny stairs so it was easy to climb. Tons of doors were super small for normal people but just right for her.

Strange lady but had almost unlimited money to keep her worker’s working. Obsessed with the number 13 built into things.

There is a store room filled with stained glass windows from Tiffany’s. They were not ordered to fit. She just bought them and figured the workers would find where to use them. 

I think she was a little off to begin with but after her husband died and she started building the house she slowly went off the deep end. 

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Historian said:

Something like this?

File:Józefów PL - Świdermajer house at corner of Ejsmonda and Wyszyńskiego  street 2012.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Yes. All these homes were built just South East of Warsaw in the forested areas known for its healthy micro climate. Style was nearly forgotten till about 25 years ago when it became popular again with the local home builders. They all had verandas covered in glass, so even during the winter months one could just chill out and enjoy living in the forest. Very elegant architecture IMO. Thanks.

• Like 1