What Rifle Do You Want Just Because

DrB

12 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Uburti 1885 in 303 British. 

22FF802F-A96A-4289-9F2A-24F9F5F942C6.png

They wouldn't happen to chamber that in .416 Rigby would they?  Never mind, I just do not want to know.  The .38 Super pistol bug is enough at this time...Dave..

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 6:35 PM, TXUSMC said:

M1A

I bought one way back when.  They still used a lot of GI parts back then.  Mine has a TRW Bolt and Lockbar rear sights among others.  Unfortunately it is in the bottom of the river along with others due to a canoeing accident crossing the river.  Dave...

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DrB said:

I bought one way back when.  They still used a lot of GI parts back then.  Mine has a TRW Bolt and Lockbar rear sights among others.  Unfortunately it is in the bottom of the river along with others due to a canoeing accident crossing the river.  Dave...

Those damned canoes ?

• Haha 2

I am gonna be coming into about 32 grand of inheritance very soon and I figured I'd use some of that to get some guns off my bucket list.  I'm sure I'll be laughed at for this, but since Jr. High I have been wanting one of those Hawken .54 caliber flintlock kits.  Best excuse to get back into black powder shooting.  Being that it's gonna be a flintlock, the only things I'll have to buy is replacement flints every now and then.  I know how to make my own powder and cast my own balls/bullets.  

Edited by Maser
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Maser said:

I am gonna be coming into about 32 grand of inheritance very soon and I figured I'd use some of that to get some guns off my bucket list.  I'm sure I'll be laughed at for this, but since Jr. High I have been wanting one of those Hawken .54 caliber flintlock kits.  Best excuse to get back into black powder shooting.  Being that it's gonna be a flintlock, the only things I'll have to buy is replacement flints every now and then.  I know how to make my own powder and cast my own balls/bullets.  

Those Hawkins are really interesting rifles.  If you get a good one they are fantastic shooters and a lot of fun.  The one i have is down right deadly.  Fires a .50 cal. lead ball.

If you get one of these rifles make sure you get one of those kits with the CO2 can that you can insert into your flash hole...if something goes wrong you can blast the stuck ball, powder and wad out.    Been there and done this many times.   It's the most important too you can have for this type of rifle.

BlackPowderMuzzleloading Co2 Ball Discharger Kit for sale online | eBay

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 12:39 AM, Paul53 said:

A Brass Henry. Another preemo lever action would do. Marlin. Not even picky about caliber as long as its available.

Had a chance to spend about 50 rounds of .22 magnum through a Henry last year.

What wonderful lever action that is. 

I swear i picked up and heard the theme from The Rifleman in the background.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Those Hawkins are really interesting rifles.  If you get a good one they are fantastic shooters and a lot of fun.  The one i have is down right deadly.  Fires a .50 cal. lead ball.

If you get one of these rifles make sure you get one of those kits with the CO2 can that you can insert into your flash hole...if something goes wrong you can blast the stuck ball, powder and wad out.    Been there and done this many times.   It's the most important too you can have for this type of rifle.

An old fashioned ball puller works. Just a little more “interesting” to use.

But seriously, if you shoot a percussion gun keep a little flask of ffffg powder. Pull the nipple and fill the thimble with ffffg, replace the nipple and fire again. It usually sets off the main charge. 

But CO2 systems are great. 

2 hours ago, Historian said:

I remember reading a story awhile back where someone at a gun show used one of those and when the bullet shot out, it actually hit someone.  A .50 caliber ball with 800-900 PSI of CO2 behind it will ruin anyone's day! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I used to have a list of rifles I want, but all that came to a halt within the last 2 years. My company now (also) works with Wilson Combat, Barrett, and more, so I have access to free loaners as well as partner pricing (often 50% off). Ever since we got a booth on the SHOT show, after being on the waiting list for 5 years, this has been a door-opener for everything. Now that I can get a .50 BMG loaned for free (long-term) or cheap, the desire is gone. Shooting those in Florida isn't easy to begin with, most ranges don't want to deal with really big calibers. I still want a .338 Lapua, but not in a rush anymore.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:33 PM, Historian said:

Had a chance to spend about 50 rounds of .22 magnum through a Henry last year.

What wonderful lever action that is. 

I swear i picked up and heard the theme from The Rifleman in the background.

I have one of those that has been worked over for competition, had a bigger brass front sight added, and the lever throw shortened a bit.  Very smooth and fast.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, Historian said:

What did they do before this was invented?

I want a 34” 30.06 5 shot mannlicher rifle.

65478074-C2F3-4056-9C2B-772F576C4D75.jpeg

5 hours ago, NPTim said:

What did they do before this was invented?

I want a 34” 30.06 5 shot mannlicher rifle.

They used a ram rod with a screw on the end of it.  You would screw it into the ball and pull like hell and it would come out.  Much easier with compressed air and safer.

That is a lovely mannlicher you just presented.   Not many rifles made in this style stock anymore. 

Ruger has an amazing 10-22 with the same stock.   Looks like just the thing for rabbit season.

9 hours ago, Historian said:

My local shop has an Anschutz .22 that is marked too high for the ugly scratch on the stock.

If they came down about $300 it would be gone.

What model is it and what’s the price? Asking as a friend has a Mod 64 that’s mint and I’m wondering what it’s worth?

25 minutes ago, Valmet said:

What model is it and what’s the price? Asking as a friend has a Mod 64 that’s mint and I’m wondering what it’s worth?

I don't quiet remember, sadly.  I passed on it because the owner wanted $900.  He's not likely to get it because most people have no idea what kind of quality rifle it is.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 10:31 PM, Historian said:

Available at your local bicycle shop

4tj97k.jpg

• Like 1