Jump to content
DrB

What Rifle Do You Want Just Because

Recommended Posts

I want a Holland and Holland double rifle in .375 H&H Magnum [R]. 

It will take any game on the planet and last centuries with basic care. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pristine model 92 with 16" barrel and chambered in .357... just because.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anschutz model 54.  It was my first firearm.  I shot small-bore match with it when I was a kid.  I had to sell it during my college-expense years and I'd like another just for sentiment sake. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 5:48 AM, Green Dragoon said:

Anschutz model 54.  It was my first firearm.  I shot small-bore match with it when I was a kid.  I had to sell it during my college-expense years and I'd like another just for sentiment sake. 

Guy at the range had one of those when I was there one day.  Nice rifle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one I want is a Winchester Model 12 Trap shotgun.  My grandfather had one in excellent condition with the original case.  I took care of it when he got sick before he passed away.  I did not get that.  I got his Model 12, 20 gauge with a solid vent rib. Well worn from him hunting pheasants and wabbits.  I added a lot of wear and love to it myself in the ensuing years so I guess I made out.  Every time I pull nit out I remember him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New Production, Marlin Dark Series in 444.

 

Edited by wjv
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

454 Casull lever action with a matching revolver. Can be loaded up or loaded down and can even use 45 Colt. I don't see these being obtainable for some time. Maybe in a couple of years.

Just something on my list that I wish I already had but thought motorcycles would be a good idea. LOL

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 9:04 PM, Nestor said:

Pristine model 92 with 16" barrel and chambered in .357... just because.

Have the Rossi model 92 stainless in 357. Nice complement to 357 revolver. Think this rifle and a brace of Ruger New Vaquero also in 357 would qualify for some subdivision of the cowboy action shooting sport. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

454 Casull lever action with a matching revolver. Can be loaded up or loaded down and can even use 45 Colt. I don't see these being obtainable for some time. Maybe in a couple of years.

Just something on my list that I wish I already had but thought motorcycles would be a good idea. LOL

Rossi offered its model 92 in 454 Casull at one time. They show up on GunBroker once in awhile. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen a how-to book about converting double barrel shotgun into double rifle. Think an overseas manufacturer is offering its 12 gauge shotgun converted to 45-70. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, railfancwb said:

I’ve seen a how-to book about converting double barrel shotgun into double rifle. Think an overseas manufacturer is offering its 12 gauge shotgun converted to 45-70. 

A lot of double rifles are made on 12-20 gauge actions. 
 

And I’m not aware or any American made mass produced doubles. Pretty much everything made here is full custom. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 7:59 PM, DrB said:

Guy at the range had one of those when I was there one day.  Nice rifle.

Yeah.  I keep on searching for one and I'll pick it up when I can.  The problem is that I need a left-handed one.  When I was a kid, I had to special order that.  They were being imported and distributed by Savage back then.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 6:45 AM, Green Dragoon said:

Yeah.  I keep on searching for one and I'll pick it up when I can.  The problem is that I need a left-handed one.  When I was a kid, I had to special order that.  They were being imported and distributed by Savage back then.  

I am lefty also.  I shoot-ight handed bolt actions though.  Been reaching over the bolt all my life, it is ingrained in my mind.  Think I would suck shooting a left handed rifle this late in the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 2:48 AM, Green Dragoon said:

Anschutz model 54.  It was my first firearm.  I shot small-bore match with it when I was a kid.  I had to sell it during my college-expense years and I'd like another just for sentiment sake. 

I have an Anschütz Super Match 54 Olympic rifle that I shot smallbore target with. I believe it was made in 1962 or 1963. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, blueiron said:

I have an Anschütz Super Match 54 Olympic rifle that I shot smallbore target with. I believe it was made in 1962 or 1963. 

 

very cool.....jealous.  I bought mine new in 1976 back when they were imported by Savage Arms.  It was a custom order because it was left-handed.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 6:08 PM, DrB said:

I am lefty also.  I shoot-ight handed bolt actions though.  Been reaching over the bolt all my life, it is ingrained in my mind.  Think I would suck shooting a left handed rifle this late in the game.

The odd thing about my rifle is that the stock was left handed, but they still had a right-handed action.  I got used to reaching over for the bolt too.  Even as a lefty, rifles with the bolt on the left side look odd to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Green Dragoon said:

The odd thing about my rifle is that the stock was left handed, but they still had a right-handed action.  I got used to reaching over for the bolt too.  Even as a lefty, rifles with the bolt on the left side look odd to me.

Same with me.  I grew up with having to reach over the bolt, seemed natural to me as that was all I had.  First time I picked up a left handed rifle I said WTF is up with this, I can't do that.  Never looked at another left handed rifle.  Thing that got me is that I could be faster to cycle the bolt as my right hand held my rifle firm to my shoulder as I reached over the bolt with my left.  Always seemed normal to me........  Dave..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Model 444 150th Anniversary

Features:

  • 444 Marlin
  • Specialized serial number
  • 8+1 capacity tubular magazine
  • Skinner ladder sights
  • C-Grade American black walnut pistol-grip stock
  • 24" half-octagon/half-round barrel
  • 40 1/2" long
  • 13 3/8" length of pull
  • 7 lbs. approximate weight

 

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/model-444-150th-anniversary

Quote

We're celebrating our 150th anniversary in the most powerful way possible. With the flat-shooting, hard-hitting 444 Marlin, now in an exclusive, limited-edition rifle worthy of the most discerning collectors. Custom-grade features include a 24" half-octagon/half-round barrel, engraved receiver with gold inlay, C-grade American black walnut stock and fore-end, historical checkering pattern, Skinner ladder sights, and special serial number – housed within its own commemorative box

.70550_444-Marlin-150th_right-profile.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Model 444 150th Anniversary

Features:

  • 444 Marlin
  • Specialized serial number
  • 8+1 capacity tubular magazine
  • Skinner ladder sights
  • C-Grade American black walnut pistol-grip stock
  • 24" half-octagon/half-round barrel
  • 40 1/2" long
  • 13 3/8" length of pull
  • 7 lbs. approximate weight

 

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/model-444-150th-anniversary

.70550_444-Marlin-150th_right-profile.jpg

How much?  I'm afraid to ask.... It does look nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DrB said:

How much?  I'm afraid to ask.... It does look nice.

Me too, buy after seeing that i need a cold shower and a smoke.

Oh, my....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, DrB said:

How much?  I'm afraid to ask.... It does look nice.

I think it was about $1,800.  It's way out of my price range.  If they made an eight shot version that was field grade, I'd be all over it.  For $815, I can get the 22 inch barrel with a hunting legal four round magazine.

 

70540_MFC_444_1200px.pngOtherwise, since getting a higher capacity magazine is a weird requirement I have, since being attacked by a swarm of moose would be just my luck, I'd go for the 45/70 version at $972.

70480_1895CB_Right.png

Features:

  • 45-70 Gov’t.
  • 9-shot tubular magazine
  • Lever action; side ejection; solid-top receiver; deeply blued metal surfaces; hammer block safety
  • American black walnut straight- grip stock; tough Mar- Shield finish
  • 26" tapered octagon barrel with deep-cut Ballard-type rifling (6 grooves)
  • 1:20" twist rate
  • Adjustable Marbles Arms semi-buckhorn rear sight and Marbles front sight post
  • 44 1/2" long
  • 13 3/8” length of pull
  • 7 lbs. approximate weight

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895cb

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Historian said:

Saw one of these this last Friday. 

https://www.theboxotruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/e70-1.jpg

The pregnant guppy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...