What Rifle Do You Want Just Because

DrB

2 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

It’s got wonderful figure, but is heavily oil soaked. As it dries and cleans up it’s getting much prettier. 

I have done a few Milsurps with the very dark stocks.  They all came back but was a labor of love taking years as I was in no hurry and did not want to rush things along.  I have a couple going now but again perhaps in 2 years I may be done with those.

Dave..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 7:39 PM, Historian said:

What...a shotgun that is.

Must have been hell in a trench.

Trench shotguns have a beauty and an artform all their own.  I doubt I will find a real one in great condition in the wild.  But, there are some really nice reproductions.  I have a deep love for the shotgun.  My Winchester defender sits in my safe and is its queen.  I saw it on sale in rare pristine condition, bought it, made sure it cycled and shot, and put it away.  It was my very first 12 gauge, when I was about 18.  Like many of my regrets, selling it was one of them.  When I saw it and bought it for the sum of 450.00, it was like having an old friend again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Trench shotguns have a beauty and an artform all their own.  I doubt I will find a real one in great condition in the wild.  But, there are some really nice reproductions.  I have a deep love for the shotgun.  My Winchester defender sits in my safe and is its queen.  I saw it on sale in rare pristine condition, bought it, made sure it cycled and shot, and put it away.  It was my very first 12 gauge, when I was about 18.  Like many of my regrets, selling it was one of them.  When I saw it and bought it for the sum of 450.00, it was like having an old friend again.

Yeah.  I'm a shotgun devote.  It is an amazing firearms.  It does it all...I built one i lost in the famous boating accident.

Started with a Walmart Mossy 500.   Had Mossy send a 18 inch barrel to Vang Comp Systems for Ghost Rings.   I mounted the ones on the back.  Had a friend OD green the thing.  Removed all the wood and put on a speed feed rear stock and a combed forend.  Replaced the trigger with a 590 trigger.  Mounted a flash light and a single point sling.

It clover leafs slugs at 75 yards.  Holds buck tight to about 35 (depends on load).   I've hit targets at 100 yards with it.

Shotguns are love.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

Just now, Historian said:

Yeah.  I'm a shotgun devote.  It is an amazing firearms.  It does it all...I built one i lost in the famous boating accident.

Started with a Walmart Mossy 500.   Had Mossy send a 18 inch barrel to Vang Comp Systems for Ghost Rings.   I mounted the ones on the back.  Had a friend OD green the thing.  Removed all the wood and put on a speed feed rear stock and a combed forend.   Mounted a flash light and a single point sling.

It clover leafs slugs at 75 yards.  Holds buck tight to about 35 (depends on load).   I've hit targets at 100 yards with it.

Shotguns are love.

I think Mossbergs are great.  I have a 590A1 I have had for years.  I replaced the forearm with a light, and changed out the rear for an AR style, and mounted a bayonet, just because I could.  I have that at the ready.  I was considering getting another Mossberg down the road that can be converted to a bullpup.  I think it is Bullpups unlimited that does that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moshe said:

I think Mossbergs are great.  I have a 590A1 I have had for years.  I replaced the forearm with a light, and changed out the rear for an AR style, and mounted a bayonet, just because I could.  I have that at the ready.  I was considering getting another Mossberg down the road that can be converted to a bullpup.  I think it is Bullpups unlimited that does that.

They are hard to break and easy to work on.   Winchesters Defender was a very nice shotgun as well.  You mentioned you had one.  The extractor could have been a little more beafy.  But lots of PDs issued them and they simply work well.   Especially when the slide becomes like glass.

Unless you're going to beat these things against the ground trying dislodge a double feed they are really hard to damage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Historian said:

They are hard to break and easy to work on.   Winchesters Defender was a very nice shotgun as well.  You mentioned you had one.  The extractor could have been a little more beafy.  But lots of PDs issued them and they simply work well.   Especially when the slide becomes like glass.

Unless you're going to beat these things against the ground trying dislodge a double feed they are really hard to damage.

The usual examples of the Defender I have seen look like someone really hated it and a tree, or tried to see what would happen if they slid its finish across asphalt.  This one looked almost as brand new as the one I had out of the box forever ago.  It warmed my heart.  Mine never double fed or anything else.  I have fired a total of 8 double 00 buck through mine.  Decided function was perfect and protected it from father time, like the Union Sword and original belt and buckle I also keep in my safe.  It has a small tear in the leather, when I strapped it on as a young man.  I have a photo on my mantle of the man that used it.  The sword saw combat as the story goes.  He was not doing well against a confederate soldier in the sword play, but a fellow compatriot saved his skin by putting a nice round ball through the other man's forehead.  I also have another odd knife from at least the WWII generation that I keep on the mantle that he picked up in Italy in the European campaign.  It has a long blade and two ends for extracting different shotgun shells.  It is a bone handle.  I really hope it was not human bone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Daisy 499. Just looks fun. 

46C0E8DE-1FBA-4399-98E1-B320DC170B91.jpeg

I have something similar, a red rider, and another BB/Pellet rifle, that has been relegated to the 1,200 square feet shop, to collect dust. It is the best shop I have had.  Two levels, and two large garage bay doors.  The thing even has an AC window unit.  But, if I need to eliminate tree rats a .22LR will do the job.  I tend to leave them alone, unless I plan fruit trees and they try to decimate them.  Then I shoot them.  The BB guns came before my kids moved to 22lr and  beyond.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2020 at 5:44 PM, Historian said:

Winchesters Defender was a very nice shotgun as well.  You mentioned you had one.  The extractor could have been a little more beafy.

I have  Model 1200 Stainless.  I believe they called it the Marine Model.  Probably only a 100 rounds or so through it to Vet it.  Have not had it out in years.

Edit: Now that I think of it, the barrel may be nickel plated and polished. 

Edit Again:  Oops, Now I gotta eat crow.  I pulled mine out and it is the Police Version.  I believe Satin Nickle.  Pictures below..

Dave..

1200A.jpg

1200B.jpg

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Moshe said:

A very nice piece and these don't come cheap.  Winchester's approximation these days look like a half/half.  I saw one the other day going upwards of 800.00

I put it back in the safe, where it will reside for the next few years.  I did not realize they had gone up in value.  Learn something new every day, thanks.

Dave..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrB said:

I put it back in the safe, where it will reside for the next few years.  I did not realize they had gone up in value.  Learn something new every day, thanks.

Dave..

No problem.  I also learned that the full stainless 870 is up there too.  But, what's to not love about stainless?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ramjet38 said:

I don't know why, but all those commercials of Henry Rifles AR-7 breakdown .22 makes me want one.  I'm resisting.

I have like the new Henry Big Boy all weather that is gate loaded.  Tube loading is more of a PITA.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ede said:

Not researched it much but a benchrest 22 is likely in my future. No idea who is a good maker or what all I'd want.  I think right hand bolt and loading.

I have an old bolt around here someplace that takes .22 short and lr.  Single shot, back when Sears and Roebuck used to be a thing.  I learned to hate the Marlin .22 LR I had as a kid (tube feeding).  I had a Ruger 10/22 for awhile.  Then when I got my kids their S&W AR-22's, I figured the Ruger was on its way out.  My wife made me sell some firearms in order to purchase my GSD.  One that fell by the way side was the S&W .22 semi-auto pistol.  

• Like 1

I am torn. You can get more power out of the 6.5 Grendel, but the round seems to be sunsetting than I can out of an interest in the 6.8SPC.  The Grendel has more push, but seems to be relegated to Alexander Arms.  The 6.8SPC, though not as powerful, is more plentiful.  I have a .308, I have the 6.5CM.  I just something middle ground would be great.  I love AR's.  I thought about the AR 500 from Big Horn.  But, I think that has a tendency to drop over distance.  Not as hard as the .458 SOCOM, or the .50 Beowulf (Another Alexander Arms exclusive).

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ramjet38 said:

I don't know why, but all those commercials of Henry Rifles AR-7 breakdown .22 makes me want one.  I'm resisting.

I like mine.  Haven't spent the time to sit down with it for accuracy test it, but it cool to see my freinds reaction when they realize the rifle exists. 

If the pistol gets re-issued, I'm buying one.  What I used to call my freinds "Broomhandle Charter." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rellik said:

I like mine.  Haven't spent the time to sit down with it for accuracy test it, but it cool to see my freinds reaction when they realize the rifle exists. 

If the pistol gets re-issued, I'm buying one.  What I used to call my freinds "Broomhandle Charter." 

I was thinking about that curious rifle.  Thoughts were.  That could be fun to hunt small game with.

• Like 2

A WWII Garand would be nice. I wouldn’t mind a Thompson M1 either, but I guess a US Armament 1877 Gatling gun would top my list.

Chambered in 45-70 capable of 800 rounds a minute cyclic rate it would be a hoot to shoot. Totally impractical, but yeah I would buy one if I could afford $24 grand plus the cost to fire it.

As a bonus it’s not classified as an automatic weapon!

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Thanks 1

There is a 45-70 AR, but Phoenix Arms (I believe), is asking 4k a pop.  I think a TVA custom AR in 7mm 08 is a lot cheaper.  The round is a personal preference.  Most things 7mm make me happy.  And -08 still shoots flat, not as much over penetration of a White Tail, and still puts meat in the freezer.  I have finally exhausted my supply of deer meat.  Maybe this year or the next I will be able to set up a feeder and figure out the right angle for it.  It seems the right angle for it, unfortunately is where my shooting berm is being built up (hopefully the middle of next week).  I am excited to set up the targets and relieve the frustration of being home bound.  

• Like 1