Our Governor Needed Some Help Here so he called in a Pro.

DrB

There were places in Texas (Henry's Hideout! - woohoo!),  I forget what they were called,  set-up bars?,  and I don't know why,  maybe a loophole of some kind.  I think they still sold beer.

There would be a 10' x 10' booth in the parking lot and you bought a bottle there.  Then you took it in the bar,  you kept it on your table,  and they sold you glasses of ice and mixer for $1.

Then a drunk cowboy would shoot at somebody.

I remember years ago when I was working, the hotel I was staying at had door marked private club.  I though that was strange, I asked the waitress during dinner what the deal was.  She laughed and said that's the bar and if your staying here at the hotel your automatically a member.  Don't remember what state that was but there some strange rules out there when your out and about.

Edited by pipedreams

5 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

I remember years ago when I was working the hotel I was staying at had door marked private club.  I though that was strange, I asked the waitress during dinner what the deal was.  She laughed and said that's the bar and if your staying here at the hotel your automatically a member.  Don't remember what state that was but there some strange rules out there when your out and about.

Dad lived in a dry county (TX),  but you were allowed to drink in private clubs.

So, every bar you went into,  you filled out an index card and paid your $1 annual fee.

"We vote dry,  and drink wet."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

And then, if you want beer,  you have to go to a beer distributor.

You can buy two six-packs at a bar.  Many grocery stores are allowed to sell six-packs now,  in a special section,  that's not really part of the store.

(When we were kids,  and the kegger parties were running dry,  everyone would pitch in money.  The guy with the fake ID would go to a bar.  But you couldn't hand over $100 and buy all the six packs.  You could only walk out with two.  You had to pay for two,  walk out and put them in your car,  walk back in, pay for two.......

All the old drunks in the bar got a hoot when they'd see kids do that.)

My town was too progressive and large for those under age to purchase Beer.

So we all went to the Beer Halls in the rural German and Polish communities and bought it by the pitcher.

They were fun places.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Dad lived in a dry county (TX),  but you were allowed to drink in private clubs.

So, every bar you went into,  you filled out an index card and paid your $1 annual fee.

"We vote dry,  and drink wet."

I saw a version of that in Salt Lake City on business trips there.

• Like 1