Our Governor Needed Some Help Here so he called in a Pro.

DrB

1 minute ago, pipedreams said:

Same here.  My wife just got back from Walgreens and said every cart had a bottle of booze.

We have State Stores here to get the good stuff.  They are deemed an essential business here so far.

They closed the State Stores, so I don't think you can buy liquor anywhere.  I fully expected the riots by now,  but they haven't happened.  The Guidos must be greasing (get it?) the pipeline, somewhere.

I was in ohio when I heard that,  so I stocked up there.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

They closed the State Stores, so I don't think you can buy liquor anywhere.  I fully expected the riots by now,  but they haven't happened.  The Guidos must be greasing (get it?) the pipeline, somewhere.

I was in ohio when I heard that,  so I stocked up there.

Sorta sounds like the setting for prohibition again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

We have to get our liquor from a designated liquor store.

Probably like our State Stores here.  They are like gun stores are considered essential here in Ohio.

Dave..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DrB said:

We have State Stores here to get the good stuff.  They are deemed an essential business here so far.

Years ago we had state liquor stores.  I remember being young and it was always a place of mystery to me.  It looked like a law office or something with gold lettering in the front window and the blinds were closed.  You had to purchase a liquor stamp book that allowed only so many purchases a month.  Most people just drove crossed the state line since it was wide open.

When I was in the Army I went home with a buddy to Kansas and he took me to a private club.  You bought your booze and went to the club you belonged to, gave the bartender your purchase which he marked it and made the drinks for you.  When you left you could take your bottle with you or leave it for another visit.  Think they still have those clubs due to strict liquor laws.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Years ago we had state liquor stores.  I remember being young and it was always a place of mystery to me.  It looked like a law office or something with gold lettering in the front window and the blinds were closed.  You had to purchase a liquor stamp book that allowed only so many purchases a month.  Most people just drove crossed the state line since it was wide open.

When I was in the Army I went home with a buddy to Kansas and he took me to a private club.  You bought your booze and went to the club you belonged to, gave the bartender your purchase which he marked it and made the drinks for you.  When you left you could take your bottle with you or leave it for another visit.  Think they still have those clubs due to strict liquor laws.

What state was that?  Growing up  in Ohio in the 50-60's I remember my uncle owned a hardware store .  In the back was a cage with many tags hanging off of it.  Folks had to select a tag of what they wanted and shove that under the slot in front of the cage.  My Uncle would go get and then you paid like and would be handed the hootch under a smaller tellers window. Think old prison movies when they allowed a con to visit his wife.  Ohio....

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, DrB said:

What state was that?  Growing up  in Ohio in the 50-60's I remember my uncle owned a hardware store .  In the back was a cage with many tags hanging off of it.  Folks had to select a tag of what they wanted and shove that under the slot in front of the cage.  My Uncle would go get and then you paid like and would be handed the hootch under a smaller tellers window. Think old prison movies when they allowed a con to visit his wife.  Ohio....

Iowa had the state liquor stores.

• Like 2

And then, if you want beer,  you have to go to a beer distributor.

You can buy two six-packs at a bar.  Many grocery stores are allowed to sell six-packs now,  in a special section,  that's not really part of the store.

(When we were kids,  and the kegger parties were running dry,  everyone would pitch in money.  The guy with the fake ID would go to a bar.  But you couldn't hand over $100 and buy all the six packs.  You could only walk out with two.  You had to pay for two,  walk out and put them in your car,  walk back in, pay for two.......

All the old drunks in the bar got a hoot when they'd see kids do that.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Bars closed here a couple weeks ago. Restaurants too. Take out only.

picked up a gallon and a half of my favorite hooch today. puts me at about 5 gallons on hand.  the guv'nah is talking some crazy talk.

may swing by the feed store tomorrow for a sack of sweet feed, then hit the grocer for sugar and yeast. pretty sure I can figure something to do with it over the next couple weeks.

6 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Nashville TN was that way for awhile. Its prime nightclub area was Printers Alley. Liquor by the drink came along and spread the business. 

8 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Bars closed here a couple weeks ago. Restaurants too. Take out only.

In Alaska?  You guys are always social distancing.  You only have 54 cases, this whole thing is just stupid.