Man size chainsaw

8 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

DSCN9410.JPG

I was going to show that to my daughter (whose job is repairing chainsaws) but then I noticed it was a Stihl, and that would result in her usual 5 minute rant about how much she hates working on those... there is a reason her nickname in the shop is Miss Makita...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have it broke down, fuel and oil dumped. I cleaned it up. Just need to make a box for shipping. I'll send the bar separate wrapped in cardboard. Brother has a birthday coming up. Nice surprise for him.

I checked out all the numbers on it. It is a Weyco (Weyerhauser) saw. Probably from the Longview district. No doubt it has sawed into a bunch of old growth in the Mt St Helens area. The guy I got it from bought it from a timber faller in Kalama, Wa. It's headed right back to that area, except it will be making sawdust in Toutle. 

• Like 3

I have this little Stihl with about an 18" bar. A few years ago I was cutting down some aspen on my property and it wouldn't run hardly at all. Called my buddy Jim asked him if I could borrow his saw.

He loaned me his Stihl, something like an 036? Biggest one you can buy without special ordering one. Engine so big it had a compression release to start it. You talk about intimidating, this was a man's saw. I flew through those trees in nothing flat, chunked em all into pieces to burn in my fire pit. I did hours worth of work in no time. But you had to hang on to that bad boy, and it wore me out. 

A good saw is truly impressive. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lazy R said:

I have this little Stihl with about an 18" bar. A few years ago I was cutting down some aspen on my property and it wouldn't run hardly at all. Called my buddy Jim asked him if I could borrow his saw.

He loaned me his Stihl, something like an 036? Biggest one you can buy without special ordering one. Engine so big it had a compression release to start it. You talk about intimidating, this was a man's saw. I flew through those trees in nothing flat, chunked em all into pieces to burn in my fire pit. I did hours worth of work in no time. But you had to hang on to that bad boy, and it wore me out. 

Sounds like the advice I gave to my son for using powerful power tools.  Told him to get a death grip on it, because when he least expected it that tool would try to turn around and bite you!

I have had big electric disc grinders catch the cord and wrap it around the spindle and then stall because I was holding it from rotating.  I haven't any chain saws.

Fellow at work rented a chain saw to cut some tree limbs.  The story he told us was that he was trying to cut a fairly small limb overhead with the chain saw and it started to oscillate with the limb then finallyit came loose.  The arc of the falling chain saw cut a huge long slice in his leg when he couldn't stop the momentum of the falling saw.

Some people shouldn't be allowed near power tools.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lazy R said:

The 036 is a small saw in my world. I do sometimes use the smaller saws. My go to fire wood cutting saw is the MS460. Mine has some performance modifications. 

• Like 2