Motorcycle Thread

Rabbi

1923(?)  Ace Motor Corporation 

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Motor_Corporation

Having sold Henderson Motorcycle to Ignaz Schwinn's Excelsior Motor Manufacturing & Supply Company, founder William G. Henderson continued to work there until 1919, when differences of opinion regarding the design direction of Henderson motorcycles led to his resignation from Excelsior.[1][2]

In the fall of 1919, with the support of Max M. Sladkin of Haverford Cycle Co., Henderson started the Ace Motor Corporation in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.[1][2] The Ace motorcycle resembled the Henderson in general form, being a longitudinal four-cylinder motorcycle with chain drive, but Henderson had to be careful not to infringe any trademarks or patents that would have been owned by Excelsior at the time.[1] Production began in 1920.[3

Related image

Related image

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Clancy said:

I fell in love with this bike the very first time I laid eyes on it. Back when BMW built motorcycles that looked like motorcycles.

Image result for bmwr100rs

I found one of these in a warehouse for a fencing contractor who's daughter was a friend of mine. It was that metallic orange.  It'd been there a couple years and the company owner offered to sell it to me for $1000 as the orignal owner had left it there and no one knew his whereabouts.  I was a very broke college student at the time and couldn't swing it.  :(  Big mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Taco Junkie said:

I found one of these in a warehouse for a fencing contractor who's daughter was a friend of mine. It was that metallic orange.  It'd been there a couple years and the company owner offered to sell it to me for $1000 as the orignal owner had left it there and no one knew his whereabouts.  I was a very broke college student at the time and couldn't swing it.  :(  Big mistake.

If I were you I would still be crying!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The Honda 919 is the best looking naked bike made in the last twenty or thirty years. The lines are simple and uncluttered, but it still looks powerful and stylish. One of my favorite features of the bike is the fact that the engine is a stressed member of the chassis. Notice that there aren't any frame tubes encompassing the engine. This is a great idea for several mechanical design reasons, but it also manages to display the engine beautifully.

In the early/mid-2000s, this bike was selling for $8,400, which was very inexpensive for the time. Even so, it had electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition. The bike was very light, nimble and fast. They made a 600cc version as well, called the 599, but it was carbureted. This had a real impact on performance and in drive-ability, in varying elevations and temperatures. The 919 was a lot better bike. 

Both the 599 and the 919 were very popular bikes in Europe, where they were called Honda Hornets. I like having a center stand on a bike and I wondered if I would be able to find one, when I bought my 919. As it happens though, center stands are either mandatory in Europe, or else they are very popular. I was able to order an OEM center Stand from Honda Europe.

IMG_1593.JPG.a952e4cd25dc1087315d32ba08bdb41a.JPG

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Eric said:

The Honda 919 is the best looking naked bike made in the last twenty or thirty years. The lines are simple and uncluttered, but it still looks powerful and stylish. One of my favorite features of the bike is the fact that the engine is a stressed member of the chassis. Notice that there aren't any frame tubes encompassing the engine. This is a great idea for several mechanical design reasons, but it also manages to display the engine beautifully.

In the early/mid-2000s, this bike was selling for $8,400, which was very inexpensive for the time. Even so, it had electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition. The bike was very light, nimble and fast. They made a 600cc version as well, called the 599, but it was carbureted. This had a real impact on performance and in drive-ability, in varying elevations and temperatures. The 919 was a lot better bike. 

Both the 599 and the 919 were very popular bikes in Europe, where they were called Honda Hornets. I like having a center stand on a bike and I wondered if I would be able to find one, when I bought my 919. As it happens though, center stands are either mandatory in Europe, or else they are very popular. I was able to order an OEM center Stand from Honda Europe.

IMG_1593.JPG.a952e4cd25dc1087315d32ba08bdb41a.JPG

I had one. Great bike. Traded it in on a KLR which was fun for a while. I now have a hankering for this, a 2018 Kawasaki 900RS  A408C7A3-3832-4D6A-B99D-8E78E718A310.thumb.jpeg.30ad048bcb28cef970e96813cc51b154.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Sprout said:

I had one. Great bike. Traded it in on a KLR which was fun for a while. I now have a hankering for this, a 2018 Kawasaki 900RS  A408C7A3-3832-4D6A-B99D-8E78E718A310.thumb.jpeg.30ad048bcb28cef970e96813cc51b154.jpeg

That is a damn good looking bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...