Food Preps: Consider fasting

Intermittent fasting is coming of age as being good for weight loss and overall health.  It's also a way of basically doubling your food stores.  If you have 30 days of food, fasting makes it 60 or more.  The body actually responds to fasting with growth hormone and energy.  Energy you would need to go out and get food.  

Survivalists are always calculating servings, calories, and days, but do they realize that intermittent fasting is a great tool to extend food stores?

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/

“When a person has nothing to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Herman Hesse, Siddhartha.

you     tube.com/watch?v=iatPAjf5I_Y

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'

This video gets into the reaction the human body has to fasting, and it's not what we've always been told.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/does-fasting-burn-muscle

Does fasting burn muscle?

https://drwillcole.com/the-impact-intermittent-fasting-can-have-on-all-your-hormones/

The Impact Intermittent Fasting Can Have On All Your Hormones

https://www.freeletics.com/en/blog/posts/intermittent-fasting/

What about our energy levels?

Apart from weight loss, the less-known benefit of intermittent fasting is said to be an increase in energy. Eating several times throughout the day means our metabolism goes through cycles of breaking down carbohydrates and turning them into blood sugar. Eventually it is used for energy or stored in cells for later. After blood sugar is consumed or stored by the body, it drops, taking your energy and mental performance down with it. This triggers a “hunger signal”, likely to make us eat and the whole process starts all over again. The constant up and down cycle of blood sugar throughout the day stresses our metabolism and results in overall lower energy levels and mental performance.

What’s the difference with intermittent fasting? When using fat for energy, fat is digested slowly and must be sent to the liver for processing (to ketones) before it can be used for energy. This process happens steadily and consistently with no up and downs, meaning we have more energy, feel better and our concentration levels and cognitive function is also higher.

But if you are in survival mode, you might not have the luxury of 6 small meals a day.  Hence the topic, in the Survival and Preparedness Forum.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about how the body responds to a lack of food.  It turns out, the body actually responds quite well.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I eat when I am hungry.  I don't when I am not.  I don't over eat, I hate that feeling.  So far black coffee today; but I slept in, more than I wanted to.  

Lovely lunch today.  A small amount of home made bread my mother made, four slices of thin roast beef, and salad left over from last night.

Enjoyed the bread with olive oil and a touch of butter.

Breakfast was one slice of buttered toast with home made blueberry jelly my dad made. 

Have mercy.  That jelly.   If i gave a jar of that to the priest at my church he'd have me in confession trying to give up the recipe.

• Thanks 1

I miss good cut pieces of brisket.  They are convenient.  The closest I got recently was some corn beef abomination.  I could destroy one in a week.  Home made bread is really good.  I remember that.  I haven't had any of that lately, because my wife wants to keep me away from carbs, even though I am by no stretch heavy.  My daughter and I love good meat, then again we have canines.  My son and wife do not and prefer vegetarian, and they don't have canine teeth.  Cause and effect, I really don't know.

I had considered getting a steer and fatten it up with barely. But, like my Grandfather did, he had to hire a butcherer, which wasn't so expensive in those days.  I can only imagine now.  I used to have to shoer in his large wood shop.  He kept bones for the dog.  If you have ever smelled rotting cattle bones in a metal building when it heats up, it is a memory no one will ever forget.