The Official UnOfficial Corona Virus Thread.

Okay what have you learned about being prepared for Pandemics?

This is a good modern exercise for short term bugging in.

What have you added to your Supplies or learned to live without.

And advice would you give.

Was any of this as bad as we were told?

so far i would say the panic buying is out of control, Costco has Zero Toilet paper, Zero Bottles Water, no cold Medicines and no Hand Sanitizer.

good on me for having ample amounts of those in stock.

Target was out of Milk (plenty of soy Milk though) no T.P, or canned Soup no Ramen or Cold Medicines, no cases of Bottled Water, yet many Gallon Jugs of water..

plenty of Mountain house Freeze dried in the Sporting Goods section though.

I learned there is piece of mind in staying prepared. 

I prep mostly for an earthquake.  Last September I went through my preps, which involved moving them from one closet to another.  Looking at dates, packaging, etc., and adding anything I can think of.  I always vacuum sealed my dried veggies, but that time, I got mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, and a hair straightener to seal the bags.  I bagged peas, rice, and beans.  I also threw away and replaced 100+ packages of Ramen.  Ramen doesn't last as long as some people think because the oil in them goes bad.  But 48 for $10, I figure it is worth it.  I also added several racks (a display box of 12) of kippered mackerel, sardines, and canned salmon and chicken.  And 3 more cases of MRE.  I don't remember why, but I went on a chili kick and have 2 dozen cans chili.

I had a plastic bucket of Mountain House "Essentials" (entrees only) and added more before the Corona thing broke out.  Now those are currently unavailable.  

I have about 100 gallons of water in containers stacked in my second bath tub, but I'm not worried about water for the pandemic.

I've been buying ammo for the last 3 or so years.  Ammo for my AR's, shotguns, and all my pistols.  I try to buy ammo every month, which ended up being a good idea.  Now, all of a sudden, the IMI 5.56 I was getting is out of stock.  So I'm buying pistol defense ammo and 00 Buckshot.     

Another part of my preps is insulated coveralls.  Growing up in the country, they were a staple.  Now I rarely wear them, but IMO, they are invaluable for cold weather prep.

$25 bidet attachment on my toilet means I haven't bought TP in a few years, and still have the last batch I bought.

I already had Lysol spray, disinfectant, sanitary wipes, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.  That's all from being of a prep mindset.

Having all this on hand, and having just gone through it all, makes the panic buying a spectator sport for me.  There are things I am adding like peanut butter, cheese, and crackers.  But if I cannot find all I want, I'm good for 4 months easy.  Fasting will extend that to at least 7 months.

I'm not like a survivalist wanting to laugh at people, but it feels good to have been prepared.  My prepping has just been validated.

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i have learned i need to add more spray (pump and aerosol) Lysol and Instant Hot Cocoa mix to my supplies.

all in all i think seeing the panic buying items is interesting, across the board some weird, weird hoarding.

Edited by holyjohnson
( )

5 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

I hope you didn't learn that "first hand?"

No, just a theory on why people are buying TP.

I did have a close call today. I was out among them and I noticed a girl sniffling and blowing her nose.  

I gave her “ the “ look and she said, 

“ Don’t worry, I just did some coke “

Dodged another boolit.

:anim_rofl2:

Edited by willie-pete
  • Haha 5

I took off today for a doctors appointment.  I made a typical weekly trip to Krogers for groceries.  The shelves were bare.  I've never seen anything like it.  Most of the meat and dairy products gone.  There were no eggs of any kind.  The produce area was stripped.  The only produce they had was stuff like onions.  But little or no fruit.  The bread area was stripped, with only the more specialized types left.  Canned meat, veggies, and fruit were slim.  There were empty counters and shelves all over the place.

I don't think the Kroger stocking crew works Sunday night, and if not, it will be interesting to see how quick they can recover.  For curiosity sake, I might go by on the way to work in the morning, or on the way home.

I went by Walgreen's for my meds.  The paper aisle was stripped, and all the people in line at the cashier had multiple bundles of napkins.  Walgreen's did have a limited supply of milk.

The beauty of it is, that I am largely unaffected and don't have to worry.

On a humorous note:  The Walgreen's cashier was an older black lady wearing gloves.  The lady ahead of me had some type of system problem with her debit card, so I had to wait a while for that.  When it was my turn, the cashier asked me how I was.  I told her I just got back from China and had a little bit of a cough, "but I'll be alright".  As I was saying that, her expression dulled, her eyes got wide, and she started backing up.  The 6 or 7 people behind me busted out laughing, and a black lady in line said "honey, he is just messing with you", but we all had a good laugh at her expense.  I didn't think she would get it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I live with 30+chickens, ducks, guineas, and 4 rabbits that will increase to 24 in two more weeks (all the does are preggers).  The incubator is full of 48 chicken eggs.  We're getting a dozen eggs a day from the layers. Turkey season is nearly here.  There are 2 freezers full of meat in the basement.  3 months worth of toilet paper in the house all the time anyway.  We've voted on the order in which we can eat the pets. (My children are homeschooled, can you tell?)...  my only food related worry is deciding what I'm actually going to cook for supper... today it is venison roast in the crockpot with taters and onions and garlic and French onion soup and 2 bay leaves and fresh ground black pepper.  Over white rice from the insta-pot.  There'll be leftovers, cause it was a 5#roast.  Which means maybe I won't cook anything tomorrow, just make sides and a salad.

My kids keep complaining that Coronamageddon is boring.  They don't seem to understand that I PLANNED IT TO BE THAT WAY.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I live with 30+chickens, ducks, guineas, and 4 rabbits that will increase to 24 in two more weeks (all the does are preggers).  The incubator is full of 48 chicken eggs.  We're getting a dozen eggs a day from the layers. Turkey season is nearly here.  There are 2 freezers full of meat in the basement.  3 months worth of toilet paper in the house all the time anyway.  We've voted on the order in which we can eat the pets. (My children are homeschooled, can you tell?)...  my only food related worry is deciding what I'm actually going to cook for supper... today it is venison roast in the crockpot with taters and onions and garlic and French onion soup and 2 bay leaves and fresh ground black pepper.  Over white rice from the insta-pot.  There'll be leftovers, cause it was a 5#roast.  Which means maybe I won't cook anything tomorrow, just make sides and a salad.

My kids keep complaining that Coronamageddon is boring.  They don't seem to understand that I PLANNED IT TO BE THAT WAY.

From the sound of it you will going into retail sales shortly.  Congratulations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ordered Take out last night, Italian.

the place we go to has Good Food and Good People and felt like they must be hurting from this.

Delivery was here in 10 Mins and the Food was as Good as always, Delivery guy laughed when i handed him his Tip and a shot or Purell

have`nt hit up the Grocery store again yet today, but i`d like to see how much worse its gotten.

i might go tomorrow i think 1 said they`de be restocking on Wednesday.

my Wife thinks i`m crazy for wanting to see this from an Academic point and see what is gone and whats left to work with but they things people are buying and they amounts are insane.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, PPQer said:

Another part of my preps is insulated coveralls.  Growing up in the country, they were a staple.  Now I rarely wear them, but IMO, they are invaluable for cold weather prep.

i have a pair of Carhartt Arctic overalls and a pair of their Coveralls but look into Fleet Farms flannel lined dickies,they are a great deal.

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Like 1

Went by Kroger on the way home today.  The hand baskets I usually use were nowhere to be found.  It was very crowded.  There were some employees stocking, and there were signs they stocked last night, but shelves were still bare.  

I got an email from Kroger saying they were adjusting their store hours due to the situation.  They are opening an hour later, and looks like closing an hour earlier to give crews more time to stock.  

It's interesting to watch.  What happens when stock crews don't have anything to stock?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

ordered Take out last night, Italian.

the place we go to has Good Food and Good People and felt like they must be hurting from this.

Delivery was here in 10 Mins and the Food was as Good as always, Delivery guy laughed when i handed him his Tip and a shot or Purell

have`nt hit up the Grocery store again yet today, but i`d like to see how much worse its gotten.

i might go tomorrow i think 1 said they`de be restocking on Wednesday.

my Wife thinks i`m crazy for wanting to see this from an Academic point and see what is gone and whats left to work with but they things people are buying and they amounts are insane.

i have a pair of Carhartt Arctic overalls and a pair of their Coveralls but look into Fleet Farms flannel lined dickies,they are a great deal.

Wife and I want to a large chain grocery near us and they seemed to have almost the normal amount of stock.  I don't know if they had just restocked the shelves but, no matter.

Eggs, Milk, assorted stuff.  Few shoppers but everyone seemed normal in their interaction.  I suppose since we are old some were feeling sorry for us, but no one said anything so it was a relatively normal shopping trip. 

OH!  Hamburger was out.  I wanted to get some but the shelf of Hamburger was empty.  Other cuts of beef were in good supply.

Pretty normal trip.

• Like 1

Ammo has dried up.  SG Ammo is so far behind in shipping, they aren't taking any orders.  Other sellers online have very thin inventories.  

I am so glad I've been buying for the last couple years.  I don't doubt things will return to normal, but right now I am sitting pretty and all my buying has been validated.  When things return to normal, and sellers are restocked, I'll start buying again.  

It's interesting that SGAmmo didn't jack up the prices like CTD did when Obama got elected.  I wonder if CTD did this time?

ETA:  CTD has 5.56 - "Our Low Price $979.70"  for 1000 rounds.  Last week that was ~$300 at other sellers.  I notice the availability is 1.  I wonder if they are trying to induce a panic?

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Wife and I want to a large chain grocery near us and they seemed to have almost the normal amount of stock.  I don't know if they had just restocked the shelves but, no matter.

Eggs, Milk, assorted stuff.  Few shoppers but everyone seemed normal in their interaction.  I suppose since we are old some were feeling sorry for us, but no one said anything so it was a relatively normal shopping trip. 

OH!  Hamburger was out.  I wanted to get some but the shelf of Hamburger was empty.  Other cuts of beef were in good supply.

Pretty normal trip.

i`m hopeful that tomorrow everything is restocked and back to normal, its been long enough for the first few waves of Idiot buying to have burned off.....in theory.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PPQer said:

Ammo has dried up.  SG Ammo is so far behind in shipping, they aren't taking any orders.  Other sellers online have very thin inventories.  

I am so glad I've been buying for the last couple years.  I don't doubt things will return to normal, but right now I am sitting pretty and all my buying has been validated.  When things return to normal, and sellers are restocked, I'll start buying again.  

It's interesting that SGAmmo didn't jack up the prices like CTD did when Obama got elected.  I wonder if CTD did this time?

ETA:  CTD has 5.56 - "Our Low Price $979.70"  for 1000 rounds.  Last week that was ~$300 at other sellers.  I notice the availability is 1.  I wonder if they are trying to induce a panic?

i was watching the costs go up on Ammoseek yesterday and was glad i bought when i did.

although first time gun purchases are up something like 200% so far (i`m not sure how they know that for a fact)

• Like 1

went to our local pick an save they were restocked mostly, no T.P. or cleaning products or O.T.C. Meds no Pastas or canned sauces there or in Kroger or WallyWorld looked like craziness recently ensued,and was only place that had lines.

Kroger has signs all over saying there hiring for Warehouse and delivery.

everything else was there in abundance and lots of fresh produce.

most importantly i restocked my Hot Cocoa Supply, added Marshmallow Fluff and got Raspberry Danish.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

My wife does most of the shopping.

We talked about TP.

She stated, if we run out, she's going to drop me in the shower for a quick rinse off. 

Gotta love her.

If it were my wife, she would have me lay down and she would use the rug shampooer on me repeatedly, just for spite.

Edited by janice6
  • Haha 2

Well.  We're hit.  Not sure how bad.  The wife, who is a nurse, was with a patient last tuesday.  His wife tested positive.

She was exposed.

So she's going to stay home with the rest of us.

I recon we'll be ok.   She's younger than me.   Better lookin too. 

You all would rather talk to her than me.  ?

On 3/17/2020 at 2:23 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

Try marinating the venison roast in Italian dressing.

• Thanks 2

On 3/23/2020 at 2:04 PM, janice6 said:

If it were my wife, she would have me lay down and she would use the rug shampooer on me repeatedly, just for spite.

Don’t even try to pretend you don’t like it rough like that. What’s your safe word? :supergrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2