Firearms You Regret Buying

tadbart

The Sig Mosquito in .22. What an absolute piece of crap.                                                           

I’m glad I passed on that one. I went with Advantage Arms conversion kit instead 

Edited by DUBSY

On 10/7/2017 at 7:09 AM, tadbart said:

To go along with the thread on the ones we let slip through our fingers, perhaps a thread about the real stinkers in our collections would be interesting.

I have two.

The Sig Mosquito in .22. What an absolute piece of crap. It was the second pistol I ever bought (after a G19). So I guess I can at least fall back on "Hey, I didn't know any better."

The Kahr CW9. Besides the long heavy trigger pull, and the occasional failure to chamber hollow point rounds, I guess it's not a horrible range gun. But I would never trust it as a SD pistol, and honestly, I have pistols that are lots more fun to shoot.

So let's hear it- what guns do you guys regret purchasing?

I have to agree with the SIG Mosquito.

• Like 1

Anybody remembered the old Magnum Research Mountain Eagle .22LR pistol?  It was a rebadged Ram-Line plastic .22LR, and it was godawful.  I don't know what I was thinking when I bought that monstrosity, but I did sell it off quick. 

Kimber Eclipse II in 10mm.  Absolute junk.  Sent back to Kimber twice.  They are useless.  Had to replace the extractor (Aftec), barrel (Bar-Sto) and shorten the ultra long ejector.  Now she runs but I had to put $300 of my money(and a lot of work) into it to make a $1K gun work.

I don't know how much I regret this one.  I just can't like it.  My CZ40B is a fantastic gun.  Very accurate, very reliable, light weight, 1911 style grip.  Incredible trigger.  Great sights.  I just can't warm up to it.  And I can't quite sell it.  

JPO3OMJ - Imgur.jpg

Edited by Boogieman

• 4 weeks later...

Finding a pristine Python was a wonderful thing and buying it was even better. Yes I did pay a premium price for this beauty. However, every time I was ready to take it to the range I fretted over degrading its condition and value. Back into the safe it went and I chose another gun to shoot. After about a year of looking at this unused gun I'd had enough and traded it for something I could enjoy shooting. Never will I buy a gun for investment value alone if it can't be used, even occasionally. 

14413621816_73faa14903_b.jpg

14250100219_128e254828_b.jpg

• Like 4

The Mk XIX Desert Eagle 44 Magnum was a fun concept but the magazines were inconsistent in reliability and it was ammunition sensitive. After a couple of years I sold it for a loss. It taught me not to try for serious power in an auto pistol.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:00 AM, CavalryDoc said:

You might want to stay away from the AR10 platform then.   I have one (DPMS LR308 AP4), and I'm constantly convincing myself that I need something else more than a Gen2 DPMS 308.

I owned one for a patrol rifle when I worked for a rural sheriff's department.

Was a tack driver and ate anything that I would feed it. Sold her when I went to Iraq as a security contractor in 2010.

Wish I had kept her. A fine firearm.

<Padre>

Never "Regretted" buying Any gun I have purchased over the last 55 years.  Loved em all at the time of buying them.  When I saw something else I wanted, I'd "trade in" guns.  I've never been a "collector", and I don't like "Safe Guns".  Use it, or get rid of it.  Just me.

• Like 1

I owned a Irma .22 Luger.  It was a functional copy of the Luger pistol.  I was enthralled with the toggle action, and that part worked to perfection.  I had a nightmare with the magazines though.  A machinist/gun nut friend finally messaged the feed lips on the magazines and it then was 100%. 

Trouble was that I never warmed up to the grip angle.  When I grab a gun I like a natural pointer.  Most handguns are like that for me.  I practice and believe in point shooting.  That Irma grip angle was never in the cards for me.  It was always wrong for me.  I finally sold it to my son for $100. Nothing wrong with it except the grip angle.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a pristine CZ 83 used in my LGS. Perfect condition, looked unfired. The dealer said he sold it new to someone who took a CPL class with it and traded it back in the same day.

It's heavier than a G26, recoils harder, the ammo costs more, extra mags are expensive and holsters are non-existent. I put about 300 rounds through it, cleaned it and stuck it in the safe. The only thing it has going for it is looks. It's beautifully made but otherwise, not much.

I bought a Shield 9mm. The grip was too small, which resulted in using too much finger on the trigger. As a result, I pulled every shot. I sold it to a friend and never saw it again.

Last loser was a FNP-9. Looked nice but not fun to shoot. It went away and I don't miss it a bit.

S&W Thunder Ranch 325 .45 ACP revolver. Beautiful gun, nice shooter, but seldom leaves the safe. Never really liked dealing with moon clips. Not a carry gun, at least for me. Planning on trading it for something else at a gun show.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:48 AM, willieH said:

Finding a pristine Python was a wonderful thing and buying it was even better. Yes I did pay a premium price for this beauty. However, every time I was ready to take it to the range I fretted over degrading its condition and value. Back into the safe it went and I chose another gun to shoot. After about a year of looking at this unused gun I'd had enough and traded it for something I could enjoy shooting. Never will I buy a gun for investment value alone if it can't be used, even occasionally. 

14413621816_73faa14903_b.jpg

14250100219_128e254828_b.jpg

I agree with this 100%. I've even ruffled some feathers over on the other site a few times with my opinion that if you buy a gun to only keep for value and never to shoot, it isn't really a gun.

I don't think I'd have let that Python go. I'd have just shot it. A bunch. So what if it's worth a little less when you're dead.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...