Firearms You Regret Buying

tadbart

To go along with the thread on the ones we let slip through our fingers, perhaps a thread about the real stinkers in our collections would be interesting.

I have two.

The Sig Mosquito in .22. What an absolute piece of crap. It was the second pistol I ever bought (after a G19). So I guess I can at least fall back on "Hey, I didn't know any better."

The Kahr CW9. Besides the long heavy trigger pull, and the occasional failure to chamber hollow point rounds, I guess it's not a horrible range gun. But I would never trust it as a SD pistol, and honestly, I have pistols that are lots more fun to shoot.

So let's hear it- what guns do you guys regret purchasing?

1 hour ago, KBKEITH said:

My original M1A.

It made me want to buy more.

You might want to stay away from the AR10 platform then.   I have one (DPMS LR308 AP4), and I'm constantly convincing myself that I need something else more than a Gen2 DPMS 308.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CavalryDoc said:

You might want to stay away from the AR10 platform then.   I have one (DPMS LR308 AP4), and I'm constantly convincing myself that I need something else more than a Gen2 DPMS 308.

I’m already there.....

Another money pit, all self-inflicted. ;)

I have a Glock G30 Gen 2.5 that I like but wish I had never bought. Feels good in my hand but I cannot shoot it worth a darn. As long as the mag is mostly full, it's OK but down to 5-6 rounds it gets too top heavy and whippy.

Sold a Ruger P90DC that I wish I had back to purchase the G30. As soon as I had emptied the first mag, I knew I had made a mistake.

I don't necessarily regret buying it, but my Kimber Master Carry Pro in 45 ACP gets far less range time than any other handgun I own.  It is pretty, and very well made, but I just do not have the proficiency of a softer shooting 9mm.  This winter when I spend more time at my indoor range, I will practice with it more.  Mabey it will grow on me.

Diamondback DB9.

I wanted something to replace a glitchy KT P3AT and thought I could have my cake (super small size) and eat it, too (in 9mm instead of .380).

Ultra unreliable! 

Sent the DB9 in for repairs and they said it was working fine and I must be limp wristing it.  Well, they may have been right; but, it's the only pistol I've had limp wristing issues with and having a defense pistol that requires a near perfect grip isn't what I want in a moment of panic.  

I regret wasting time and money on that one.

S&W Shield 9mm Performance Center.  Great sights, decent trigger, great feel, reliable, but barrel was flawed.  12" group at 20yds.  Sent it back to S&W and they took two months to swap in a different barrel.  It was also flawed a bit, but it could now shoot 8" groups at 20yds.  Got a lot of grief on GT over that shitstorm...  "It's a defensive weapon, you don't need it to group past 7yds..."  "you're just not accurate with it..."  "My Shield is perfect so it must just be you..."

Sold it and replaced it with an XDS that is a surprising little tack driver.

I've come across a few other people that have had accuracy issues with the Shield PC versions in 9mm.  Must have had an issue with the barrels for some reason.  I think Lone Wolf now makes barrels for them...

I also regret buying a Ruger SR556 last September, before the election, for $600.  Nice rifle and works fine, but I can now get one for under $500.

Edited by PNWguy
  • Like 1

Beretta Model 70S in .380 Auto. Nice and solid pistol in the hand.

I really and truly wanted to love the thing, and I suppose that I did, in my own perverse sort of way. As unreliable as it was, I  Ioved it as I would an Italian or French woman.

And like a French or Italian woman, it seemed to have a mind of its own. Would do what it wanted to do.

To the point of never being quite trustworthy, but lovely to look upon, nonetheless.

Unless the ammunition was just right, it would ALWAYS fail to feed.

Edited by OV1kenobi

A Glock 19.  Three different times.

I'd get talked into buying one.  It didn't fit.  It didn't feel right.  It was uncomfortable for me to shoot.

So I sold it.

Pause 2-3 years..........

I'd get talked into buying one.  It didn't fit.  It didn't feel right.  It was uncomfortable for me to shoot.

So I sold it.

Pause 2-3 years......

So I sold it.

Sometimes, I'm a slow learner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Browning Buck Mark.  Had feeding issues.  Sent it to Browning.  They fixed it but messed up the finish when they reinstalled the sight hood.  Backwards.  Browning did.  With their own pistol.  Seriously?  Contacted Browning.  They were extremely disinterested in doing anything.  I am extremely disinterested in ever buying another Browning product, even over a decade later.  So it goes with customer loyalty and customer memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Back around 1980 when I was 19 I bought a Bauer 25 auto, it was my second gun purchase , the first being a 4in model 19 S&W  in nickel.

What a piece that was , ended up trading it to a guy to paint my car and I bought the paint and did the body work , all he did was shoot it. I was glad to get rid of it for any price

I also have a Stoger Luger .22.  Jam-o-matic.  It will function with CCI Stingers sometimes.....  It's in the safe, was one of the first pistols I bought when I got old enough.  I still get it out once every few years though. I still wonder why I bought it..

A Kimber Deseret Warrior. I sold a near perfect Winchester 94, made in 1949, to buy it. Despite 3 trips back to Kimber, it still would not function. The gun shop I bought the Kimber from didn't want it back on a trade and I wound up losing my ass o it.

On October 15, 2017 at 5:46 AM, Wishoot said:

I didn't buy it, but I did win a Marlin M60 at some sporting clays event.  I'm really glad it didn't cost me anything because it was a huge pile of junk.  

How so? The 60 is pretty much the standard in semi .22s alongside the 10-22.

• Like 1