Two 10-year-old boys handcuffed and booked after playing with toy gun outside

pipedreams

What the heck is going on here?

"COLORADO SPRINGS – A Fort Carson family wants to share their story with others after their 10-year-old son was arrested and charged with Felony Menacing, a Class 5 felony, which has since been expunged.

“They came back over, told me my rights, and told me what was going to happen. They put handcuffs on me, and I got into the car,” 10-year-old Gavin Carpenter said.

The incident happened in July of 2019.

FOX21 exclusively interviewed the 10-year-old. Gavin said he and a friend were playing outside with toys near N. Powers Blvd and Constitution Ave. He said they were playing a version of the video game Fortnite."

https://www.fox21news.com/top-stories/two-10-year-old-boys-handcuffed-and-booked-after-playing-with-toy-guns-outside/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope that anyone who has seen a number of my posts knows that I back the blue, but jeez.  This one bothers me. 

How do you handcuff a 10 year old boy for playing with a nerf gun in the yard, then go home and sleep well? 

If that had been my kid and I had been there, there might very well be a body count, I have a 10 year old boy and he's not going to get dragged off in handcuffs over a nerf gun.

The cop who slapped the cuffs on those kids should hang his head in shame. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The kids were idiots for pretending to shoot at traffic with anything that looked like a gun (seeing those orange tips that tell you it's a toy isn't always easy), but what they should have gotten was a ride home in the police car and the police explaining to the parents what their dumbass kids were doing, and how that could potentially have gotten them shot by a motorist if no one else.  Then the parents should have taken the toy guns away and grounded their dumbasses for a month with NO FORTNITE, or any other video game.  People are so stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

The kids were idiots for pretending to shoot at traffic with anything that looked like a gun (seeing those orange tips that tell you it's a toy isn't always easy), but what they should have gotten was a ride home in the police car and the police explaining to the parents what their dumbass kids were doing, and how that could potentially have gotten them shot by a motorist if no one else.  Then the parents should have taken the toy guns away and grounded their dumbasses for a month with NO FORTNITE, or any other video game.  People are so stupid.

They're nerf guns!  You don't need to see the orange tip to know they're not real.  For crying out loud, one of them was a bow, not a gun.  One of my kids got his hands on a toy gun that looks exactly like a 1911 except for the orange tip.  Obviously I took it away from him.  That's not what happened here. 

I think the snowflake in the car who called the cops should be publicly flogged as well as the chief of police and the DA who signed off on the prosecution.  All three of them should be publicly flogged and slapped into stocks so passersby could throw rotten vegetables at them. 

I'm glad I don't live in Colorado anymore. 

When a dude broke into my home and tried to drive away I blew two of his tires out with my Mossberg.  The local LEOs who responded to my 911 call gave me high fives.  If I had been in Colorado they probably would have arrested me and let him go. 

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

I know 2 guys that had a shootout in their front yard using .30-06 rifles with blanks. Yeah, dumb idea. Tourists driving by were nearly running off the road. But it was the 1960's and people weren't such ******* back then. No cops showed up. Tourists certainly had a tale to tell when they got home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Had a sheriff show up at the house when I was 10 or 11. After a conversation with my parents, I was hauled a mile down the road to the coast in the back seat and then questioned at length. My dad insisted they take my older brother along even though they weren't interested in him. No hand cuffs though.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 2:35 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

Your husband better love you.  You're just like my lovely lady.  My 43 year old daughter would love you as a step mom.

They aimed at driving cars, not everybody knows or can make out a real gun that quickly. Rushing by at 45 MPH even holding and aiming a cellphone like a gun with straight arms can look like a real threat.

Heck, police have shot numerous times in self defense at suicide-by-cop suspects that held all kinds of weird items in hand. Just pointing at a human being in an aggravated demeanor can and will get you shot because it leaves no time to wait and see if lead comes flying, its just a matter of time.

Also, even a 8 year old can pull a 5 pound trigger. Plenty of thug kids set a new standard over the last couple decades. So assuming that a 10 year old boy can't hold or shoot a real gun is pretty naive these days.

The real problem are the parents. Before the sex-talk there needs to be a gun-talk. One of the rules needs to be that you simple don't aim ANYTHING at other people. In a country with 400 to 600 million firearms in private hands chances are high that you will come across threating for a gun owner, or police. You don't want to draw a bullseye on your chest by acting stupid.

Freedom comes with responsibility.

PS: the video game Fortnite has a PEGI rating of 12 years or older, even here the parents didn't do their job. If you let your kids watch and play stuff that is not suitable for them, its even more so mandatory to teach and guide them properly.

If the parents sue the PD or city, it will be "me" once again who is paying for that crap! Settlements don't come from any persons involved, they come out of tax payers hands!

Edited by crockett