Anyone Here Stocking Up?

DrB

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm sitting around with my cookbooks contemplating what I'll make for the next three weeks... I have a Rabbit Stiffado recipe I've never tried, that I've been meaning to for months, so this is my opportunity.  And a Venison Backstrap Steaks w/Blackberry Sauce w/Nutmeg & Cloves... I found a bag of frozen blackberries we picked last summer when I was getting everything ready to make Black Raspberry Jam (10 more half-pints done - half with amaretto and half with fernet-branca, and honey instead of sugar because I have more honey than we need to make the mead)... Coronarmageddon is boring, and when I get bored I either clean or I cook... this was a double dose - I worked on cleaning and re-organizing the basement freezers, and cooking/canning everything I didn't get around to last fall.  There will be two more batches of mulberry jam canned this week (I haven't decided what to add to those, suggestions welcome), and probably a small batch of cherry freezer jam, because there isn't enough to justify using the canner for them.  And at least one batch of either rhubarb chutney or rhubarb jam, depending on whether I have the rest of the ingredients for the chutney in the house.  I thought I should get that done before I have to start harvesting this year's rhubarb - it's about 2" tall today.

That's sort of like me.  I'm sort of contemplating running through some of our canned goods while we eat that big bag of rice (20 lbs) that I bought.  I'm looking forward to breaking up our usual routine and doing some experimental recipes. 

• Like 1

Got a few special forces friends who are specifically NOT saying that this next couple weeks might be uh, interesting. Lay the supplies in fast and deep if you can, as these dudes have advised their parents to do. Nothing concrete, of course, but when a few real Men text and ask how you're doing, it adds to the credibility of whispers you've heard.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Wife and I went shopping yesterday in our usual grocery store.  (Which is one of the nicest in town).   We are always ahead of the game in terms of prep.  So we didn’t need anything. We were just going to get some want items. 

The store had normal traffic but perishables were mostly cleaned out...and the Jews had struck!

A2ECE615-C3AD-4390-8BF8-6B3731236ED6.thumb.jpeg.3d62c6332fc511b30ed4561cfd1408cf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

We were just going to get some want items. 

The store had normal traffic but perishables were mostly cleaned out...and the Jews had struck!

Bummer on the empty kosher aisle.    I am wondering when the dust clears, what the most unusual hoarding items are going to be.  Here in liberal CA, dichotomous extremes always point out the hypocrisies in the virtue signaling personas.   Gun stores and cannabis dispensaries are supposedly mobbed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm sitting around with my cookbooks contemplating what I'll make for the next three weeks... I have a Rabbit Stiffado recipe I've never tried, that I've been meaning to for months, so this is my opportunity.  And a Venison Backstrap Steaks w/Blackberry Sauce w/Nutmeg & Cloves... I found a bag of frozen blackberries we picked last summer when I was getting everything ready to make Black Raspberry Jam (10 more half-pints done - half with amaretto and half with fernet-branca, and honey instead of sugar because I have more honey than we need to make the mead)... Coronarmageddon is boring, and when I get bored I either clean or I cook... this was a double dose - I worked on cleaning and re-organizing the basement freezers, and cooking/canning everything I didn't get around to last fall.  There will be two more batches of mulberry jam canned this week (I haven't decided what to add to those, suggestions welcome), and probably a small batch of cherry freezer jam, because there isn't enough to justify using the canner for them.  And at least one batch of either rhubarb chutney or rhubarb jam one before I have to start harvesting this year's rhubarb - it's about 2" tall today.

Sometime in there you should put everything down and sit in a comfy chair with a big glass of Wine, and laugh at all the other people out there agonizing over whether they have enough toilet paper.   :abovelol:

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is it sad that this brings out my inner standup comic?

Did you hear the one about the man that decided to hoard hair conditioner?  He said he had to do a little belt tightening, but his hair looked better than ever.

The last I heard, he traded his elderly neighbor some Loreal in exchange for a tin of cat food.  It turns out that her cat was missing and she figured somebody ate it.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

I took off today for a doctors appointment.  I made a typical weekly trip to Kroger for groceries.  The shelves were bare.  I've never seen anything like it.  Most of the meat and dairy products were gone.  There were no eggs of any kind.  The produce area was stripped.  The only produce they had was stuff like onions.  But little or no fruit.  The bread area was stripped, with only the more specialized types left.  Canned meat, veggies, and fruit were slim.  There were empty counters and shelves all over the place.

I don't think the Kroger stocking crew works Sunday night, and if not, it will be interesting to see how quick they can recover.  For curiosity sake, I might go by on the way to work in the morning, or on the way home.

I went by Walgreen's for my meds.  The paper aisle was stripped, and all the people in line at the cashier had multiple bundles of napkins.  Walgreen's did have a limited supply of milk.

The beauty of it is, that I am largely unaffected and don't have to worry.

• Like 1

I stopped in the gun store to pick up some stuff I had ordered early last week... the parking lot was FULL, there was a line at the register, and they had multiple people filling out the paper work for firearms purchases.  Duuuuuudes, if you've only just know decided having a gun is a good idea... I don't quite know what to say.  Then I went to the bank.  It was totally empty.  I deposited some checks and moved some money around, and they told me it was good I'd stopped by today, 'cause they are closing the lobby to customers tomorrow.  Well, okay then... I guess we'll all just share germs touching the ATM buttons!  (Except the guy spraying it with Lysol!). Then I went to TSC to pick up some bedding for the chicken coop - My usual TSC has been out of bedding for over a week.  Who the hell hoards bedding? I went to the OTHER TSC in town (5 minutes further down the road, and bought enough for the next 6 weeks. Then I came home to my daughter having just finished a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.  She is afflicted with the "Cook or Clean when Bored" Gene, too.  Quite happy she inherited that one from me right now, while I munch on this muffin...

I stayed the hell away from the grocery stores because every single one of their parking lots were FULL UP.  I don't need anything enough to brave that madhouse.  And if I need milk before next week, I'll go down the road and volunteer to milk Riley's goats in exchange for the milk.  He has so much he feeds it to his freaking chickens...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yeah i hate the word stocked up ,   hell if thats the word to use ive been stocked up for 40 years  rofl.    then if things get real bad  i go down to pond and catch some fish lol

only problem i had was i take alot of precripts   but my doctor took care of that 2 weeks ago when i knew people would flip the **** out 

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1

Just a few items and you can laugh at the TP buying fools:

ACME High-Tech Bottom Scraper

ACME High-Tech Bottom Scraper Cleaning Scraper

ACME High-Tech Bottom Scraper Cleaning Scraper Cleansing Towelettes

ACME High-Tech Bottom Scraper Cleaning Scraper Cleansing Towelette Disposal Cabinet

ACME High-Tech Bottom Scraper Cleaning Scraper Cleansing Towelette Disposal Cabinet Pickup Subscription

• Haha 2

At least a year's worth of ammo of all calibers.  Plenty of reloading components for everything from .32 up to 12 gauge.

Plenty of booze.  Plenty of TP.  Plenty of rice, beans, pasta, flour, cornmeal, sugar, oil, and canned goods.  Freezer full of meats and such.  Lifestraws and a nearby lake. 

Couple of months supply of all meds, even vitamins.

Household of five, four of whom are pretty competent with guns. 

I do need Senko bass lures.  I'm down to three or four bags and that's a very bad thing for me.  

My cowboy shooting competitions are all cancelled so if I'm stuck at home I need to be able to fish and sip bourbon, not just sip bourbon.

• Like 1

I had an itch that caused me to stock up last gun show. 

We just got back from Costco, I was in the area so we checked it out.  Less than normal load in the parking lot, short lines left with $550 worth of stuff.  Only thing we are near low on is TP, they caught me near replenishment time.  I am not so worried about running out but we already have one sick in the house, I don't want to be out to the stores if I get it.

• Like 1