Anyone Here Stocking Up?

DrB

I thought I'd stop at the Meijer this morning to grab some cat food...(I had to be there anyway to pick up my daughter who had spent the night with her BFF).  I have NEVER seen it that busy on a Friday at 9:30AM.  Having said that, they were restocking like mad, so aside from the lack of toilet paper (I don't need any, we always have 3 months worth stored in this house), and the lack of my favorite brand of tomato bisque canned soup, it didn't look like too much was gone... just a few weird items like no flour?  low on sugar?  and milk?  but the number of shoppers wandering around with absolutely FULL TO THE BRIM large carts (not the little one I like to shop with), was just bizarre.  I laughed all the way through the store.  25 years of prepping and I'm feeling mildly vindicated and wildly amused... all my freezers are full, the rabbits have all been bred and are due to kindle in 2 weeks, the chicken incubator will be full of eggs tomorrow, and I'm 4 days into conditioning my straw bale garden for planting.  My kids are homeschooled anyway, so the fact that all the schools in the state are closed until at least April 5, isn't even a mild inconvenience to me.  My husband's 8 weeks of travel in Poland, Lithuania, and Romania for work in May-June is cancelled, so he'll be home during planting season for the first time in 11 years.  I've already started his HONEY-DO LIST.  The only irritating thing about this is that the university cancelled the Australia program later in the summer, and that is $9K income we won't have this year... but we were going to use that for farm projects anyway, so we just won't do those this year.  My only worry in all of this is my parents and in-laws health, and that of my friends in the 70+ age range.  I just hope they don't get sick.  Or any of you, either!  (old or young!)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PPQer said:

You'll soon be laughing at the backward cretins who still use paper.

On an unrelated note, hospitals who stocked up on additional items like masks, gloves, and antiseptics are storing them under heavy security to prevent theft.  They are under lock and key with cameras on them.  My facility has what appears to be a 2 semi trailers worth under black plastic.  Being in a democrat run city, Admin knows the supplies will disappear if given a chance.

Is your hospital in one of the enlightened areas where stealing under $1,000 at a time is no longer a crime?

• Sad 3

50 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I thought I'd stop at the Meijer this morning to grab some cat food...(I had to be there anyway to pick up my daughter who had spent the night with her BFF).  I have NEVER seen it that busy on a Friday at 9:30AM.

I went to the Meijer (OH / MI border) around 8am to get an armload of regular crap. 

I walked in.

Saw the lines and pandemonium.

And walked out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My husband's 8 weeks of travel in Poland, Lithuania, and Romania for work in May-June is cancelled, so he'll be home during planting season for the first time in 11 years. 

Our corporate office banned all visitors.  They banned all company-related outside contact for all corporate employees.

But us field-service guys just get to keep on keepin' on.  I've been through the Atlanta airport 16 times in the last six weeks,  and will be there again next week. 

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Is your hospital in one of the enlightened areas where stealing under $1,000 at a time is no longer a crime?

The city police dept 35 minutes north of me just declared that they aren't coming out in person for any theft less than $1000 due to coronavirus!  (Along with a half dozen other things they will not take reports in person for).

• Sad 4

18 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

The city police dept 35 minutes north of me just declared that they aren't coming out in person for any theft less than $1000 due to coronavirus!  (Along with a half dozen other things they will not take reports in person for).

Just make sure if you get ripped off that you're losses mount up. Now where is that expensive chainsaw at?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I don't think officially so (Memphis) but most theft under $1k probably isn't prosecuted very rigidly, and I suspect it would result in a easy plea deal with time served or a small fine.  It's a democrat run city and now even the county is turning blue.  

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, PPQer said:

I don't think officially so (Memphis) but most theft under $1k probably isn't prosecuted very rigidly, and I suspect it would result in a easy plea deal with time served or a small fine.  It's a democrat run city and now even the county is turning blue.  

Maybe they should go stand in I-40 and block it again...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Maybe they should go stand in I-40 and block it again...

When they did that before, the Police Director walked arm in arm with them, and nobody was prosecuted for the various crimes committed during their "protest".  Situations like that have me seriously considering a special piece of hardware.  Bullpup shotgun with double tube magazines.  13 or more rounds, plenty lead to go around.

Kel-Tec-KSG-Review-837x585.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, PPQer said:

When they did that before, the Police Director walked arm in arm with them, and nobody was prosecuted for the various crimes committed during their "protest".  Situations like that have me seriously considering a special piece of hardware.  Bullpup shotgun with double tube magazines.  13 or more rounds, plenty lead to go around.

That's an AR-14

• Haha 5

After the virus hit here in Ohio Walmart has been crazy with the nuts.  Parking lots full.  I stopped into the local IGA to pick up a few items for the week.  Situation normal there and they had most everything.  Going to go to the TSC tomorrow morning, I need some water softening salt to fill up the brine tank and pick up some dog food.  I'll stop at the local farm market on the way back and get a bag of potatoes and some onions and I'm all set. 

I'm all ready to read on the news of the fight over toilet paper here at Wally World.

Dave..

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, PPQer said:

Will those reliably load, fire, and eject those pricy short 12 gauge rounds? 

• Confused 1

I stopped in at the local Food Lion yestiddy aft. The checkout line was all the way to the back of the store. There wasn't anything there I was willing to wait in such a line for, so I left. Good for the economy, anyway.

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2020 at 2:44 PM, CK30 said:

Despite having a decent horde of supplies, I’ve been adding. 

I purchased enough material to make about 20 gallons of beer.  I purchased six six packs of others...and stocked up on 1 bottle of bourbon and four bottles of scotch and one bottle of gin and vodka (martini makings).  I picked up a box of cigars to boot.

A man has to have priorities.  If i'm going to self sequester....i'm doing it my way! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1