Another fine Glock product the model 42

SilverRidge01

I love my 42. I recently dislocated right thumb, so I've been carrying it as it's such a soft shooter. I was the only one at the range do the Range Officer let me try a little rapid fire at 25 yards. I think I'm going make it my permanent EDC.

The only thing's I've added to it are Talon grips and a plus one Hyve magazine. 

feGPFlu0zECRf-3nTHzxNc_-uk_KoWQS2fvCxQ-FdZCdg86ReJXOSydR3sAM1ORVhDCac3n3e3866Xsnq3pYuHht_KfV61rZ74xiCPqUd2DriszNk9tkOXFnY7U3wZQ2MpR42sG3r7DS-V4DR2ciBkG6bY4fVJIOyqo6K9CFid37jTkp892-csgVq4W8_PI_me_4oS_44hjJsdfxonp2fT9Z2EIZ1FPHoCrHW2V36cUwJBTS5w_x8J4sKjKDBJ4ctgCEHVuF77zkvjQdIczr3CAadX51ww0OjnMTgL4GV2cDba0QzZaN-FbD_B6Q7N4izFP0jTMfVU1iDfdTr1Yvr3ypi0X5ClOCfLJ7pizaTte_RR0JB5sdZZBQaK-I3OSXcU3oQfyIFSsHBPUT7rZ4A8uibg43LrtLY-frxWJ3FIiJzoFNT8cvhAw5jWLzQH3j5fJYT0BPm7IRfad7QEE-6WFpvTjVIao1zQdBaXv8MHLT2LMHZhWfIlSXgrY77rjvODyK4AWhwzOATeYbmTiVRYvOaJh2yQMH5c8JPkSsDymidsmyeN89cB6MH0Lw4K2uQJdQiBrqL9KYR88Tfo6lsgsHjJmZlF-5mLsLA5TdoW7ufjjgei5qxQ8vEcSqzPBpMgoIiheCui5Pfd5vBHIs2cPuDzT4AdiNaZpPmtFvVJ62QneeNFaeLUg=w757-h1009-no

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got some physical problems with my hands also, so I can appreciate your pain, tendons around my thumbs are slowly deteriorating recently had cortisone shots in both joints, helped, but a short term solution to a long term problem, also own the 42 as my posted photos above show, wonderful soft shooting handgun, helps immensely if you have physical problems .. Also take my .357, .45ACP and my hand cannon Judge magnum out often, firearms are my hobby, my interest, a  big part of my ever day existence ..so I will " Deal with the pain " people have worse problems than mine, I've seen them first hand and have deep compassion for them, I am a two time cancer survivor ...

Edited by SilverRidge01
  • Like 1

I owned one of the first ones and liked it. I didn't experience any issues like many did with the early versions but I sold it as I don't have any use for the .380. For those that do, though, they're great little pistols. 

• Like 2

It's the only 380 I would carry but I'd only carry it with the Underwood 1200 fps Plus+P 90 grain XTP ammo. I don't have any problems with arthritis and I actually wish Glock would make a 9mm closer to the size of a G42. I have a Keltec PF9 that size and recoil is sharp but manageable. The only problem is that the gun usn't reliable because the cheapo stamped steel extractor which is a POS.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 42 and like it but for discreet carry I prefer the LCP. I like shooting the Sig P238 better but I do like the 42. 

The LCP is a great replacement for the Beretta 950BS Jetfire I had in the 80s.

IMG_359.jpg

Edited by 26isbest
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 11:57 PM, 26isbest said:

I have a 42 and like it but for discreet carry I prefer the LCP. I like shooting the Sig P238 better but I do like the 42. 

The LCP is a great replacement for the Beretta 950BS Jetfire I had in the 80s.

IMG_359.jpg

I like the G42 loaded with Underwood Plus+P 1200 fps 90 grain XTP's. Then it's almost a 9mm.

• Like 1

I haven't tried any of those hot 380 loads. The 42 and P238 both have heavy slides relative to the caliber with the locked breach action so I wouldn't be concerned about Buffalo Bore or Underwood in either. The LCP OTOH is very light with only a 4 ounce slide and kicks noticeably more than the other two so I'll stick with standard 380 loads in it regardless of what I may try in the others.

The slide on the 42 is 6.9 ounces, the P238 is 6.5 ounces and my PPK 32 has a 7.4 ounce slide. I have never had a 380 PPK but I believe the slides are pretty much the same weight. The 42 is a tough built 380.

Edited by 26isbest
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 26isbest said:

I haven't tried any of those hot 380 loads. The 42 and P238 both have heavy slides relative to the caliber with the locked breach action so I wouldn't be concerned about Buffalo Bore or Underwood in either. The LCP OTOH is very light with only a 4 ounce slide and kicks noticeably more than the other two so I'll stick with standard 380 loads in it regardless of what I may try in the others.

The slide on the 42 is 6.9 ounces, the P238 is 6.5 ounces and my PPK 32 has a 7.4 ounce slide. I have never had a 380 PPK but I believe the slides are pretty much the same weight. The 42 is a tough built 380.

I've shot the Underwood +P 90 grain XTP load in the G42 and find that it's totally manageable as far as recoil. The difference between the Plus+ load and a standard 90 grain 380 in a Glock 42 is kind of like the difference between shooting 380 out of my Polish P64 9mm Makarov and shooting standard 9mm Makarov ammo. 380 ammo will reliably function in a 9mm Mak chamber but the reason it feels so wimpy is probably because it's an undersized bullet, ..355 in a .360 barrel.

And I've never tried shooting the Underwood +P ammo in an LCP but those who have say that it goes well beyond the pain threshold.  If I were to carry a guns as small as an LCP or a P-3AT, Id just as soon carry a Keltec P32 which is even smaller and holds 8 rounds and is a good shooter for close range.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 9:18 AM, Historian said:

Freakin ouch!  I bet that hurt!

Yes it did. I was able to pop it back in. I probably should have had it looked at. It still aches a bit but it's almost back to 100%. 

The worst part was not being able to use an ink pen to write for a while. Saved me some money. I wasn't able to fill out a Form 4473 to purchase a gun for months.

• 1 month later...