The confiscated antique revolver...

railfancwb

I bought a pre-1898 Smith&Wesson revolver from a GunBroker seller whose listing said no FFL required. He said he could ship direct to me if I had a C&R, otherwise it had to go to an FFL licensee. (Excuse me, but I thought a C&R was an FFL - admittedly of limited scope.)

So I sent payment and a copy of my LGS’ FFL. 

In due course the revolver arrived so I went to pick it up, completing a 4473. To my surprise the background check revealed that the gun Had been reported as stolen at some point. The relevant county Sherrif had the gun picked  up - AKA confiscated. 

I contacted the seller, explained the situation including sending a photograph of the receipt left by the Sherrif and asked for my money to be refunded. 

I also contacted GunBroker and explained the situation and asked for their help in getting my money back. 

So far, neither has responded. 

What next steps should I take?

23 hours ago, railfancwb said:

(Excuse me, but I thought a C&R was an FFL - admittedly of limited scope.)

I have a C&R FFL.  It is a collectors FFL type 03.  It allows you to get firearms that are C&R eligible to be able to be shipped directly to you.  It does not allow you to be in the business of buying and selling like a regular FFL.  Most C&R firearms are 50 years or older.  The ATF has a list on their site.  You do have to keep a bound book like a regular FFL.  You do need to get the sellers information so you can log it into your book.

You can't just tell someone you have a 03 FFL.  The dealers I have bought from I send a copy of my FFL berfore they can ship. With gun shows I need their information so I can log into my book.  Any C&R firearm I purchase has to be logged in.  The ATF has all the information on their web site.

Dave

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Finally heard from GunBroker, who said I was due a refund. So I sent a copy of their correspondence to the seller and shortly thereafter received the refund. Records show that I deposited the refund June 1. So I should have updated this thread sooner. 

• Like 2

A footnote... bought an equivalent revolver off GunBroker a week or so after the original was confiscated, at a noticeably higher price, and sent LGS’ FFL and a USPS MO. Week or so later got a refund and a note that the seller’s partner had sold it locally but neglected to remove the listing.

So I’ve crossed that style revolver off my wish list for the foreseeable future. 

17 hours ago, railfancwb said:

A footnote... bought an equivalent revolver off GunBroker a week or so after the original was confiscated, at a noticeably higher price, and sent LGS’ FFL and a USPS MO. Week or so later got a refund and a note that the seller’s partner had sold it locally but neglected to remove the listing.

So I’ve crossed that style revolver off my wish list for the foreseeable future. 

That's just bad dumb luck.

I know it doesn't help but it's my personal policy to never buy guns sight unseen.  If it ain't a local private seller or on a gun shop shelf, I am not interested.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...