Gun Smithing

My recently acquired Model 15 snub's rear sight blade is damaged on one side. Still usable as the sight channel is undamaged, but want to replace it for the looks.  The parts are not expensive, but a video I watched said you have to break the windage adjustment screw to replace with the new one.  Big hairy deal best left to the pros, or something simple enough to do at home?

I've never done it, but it's not so much break. It is staked and you have to get past the staking. You then need replacement parts for the ones damaged in getting it apart and then restake it. 

You do have some options. You can disassemble, repair, and restake. You could also replace the whole sight assembly, but last time I looked into that, it was pricey. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'd take a run at it, but I've learned some hard lessons along the way.

Make sure you have proper screwdrivers and punches, as well as a safe, secure way of securing your revolver.  

Go slow.  Turtle slow.  Actually slower than that.  Snail slow.

And it''s all just "stuff".  Don't worry too much about screwing up.  Anything can be fixed or replaced.

And if you grab a Dremel tool, put it down, and drive around the world to think about it first.

• 8 months later...