Salmon. Fresh and Good

47 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

Nice catches.

I love smoked salmons and cured salmons but otherwise it's not my favorite fish.  

When it's this fresh right from the icy salt water......and no bones. I filleted it and used pliers to pull all the pin bones. Very lightly seasoned and put on the grill. It's a delicacy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

When it's this fresh right from the icy salt water......and no bones. I filleted it and used pliers to pull all the pin bones. Very lightly seasoned and put on the grill. It's a delicacy.

I've had freshly harvested salmon before.  Still not my favorite fish.  Fresh like that sashimi-style is OK.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Historian said:

And that...is why i bought a .45-70.

Leave one for me, Walt.

On Thursday the results will be out for the drawing permit hunts. I put in for 6 any bull hunts. Hope I get drawn for one of them. Also put in for some goat hunts and bison. I'll be hunting moose here local if I don't get drawn, but they need to have a 50" spread or at least 3 brow tines on one side. That takes a lot of them out of the running.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

On Thursday the results will be out for the drawing permit hunts. I put in for 6 any bull hunts. Hope I get drawn for one of them. Also put in for some goat hunts and bison. I'll be hunting moose here local if I don't get drawn, but they need to have a 50" spread or at least 3 brow tines on one side. That takes a lot of them out of the running.

I dated a girl from Maine once.  And it was funny we were in the deep South.  Nice girl.  Very...Northern in some respects.  

At one point i had a rather interesting conversation with her dad that sounded just like your comments about moose permits.   He was all about it.   Very excited to be going after a moose.  Getting a moose permit in Maine is a big deal as imagine it is where you are.  Moose is excellent eating. As are many of the creatures in your area of the woods.  And being a hunter myself, can say, probably much healthier than anything farm raised and wrapped in plastic.

Anyway, while it didn't work out between me and that Girl from Maine....she left a lasting impression....that Northern girls were interesting...Maine Girl and i remained friends and she married a guy i knew from college.

In one of the most dangerous operations of my life I took my future wife to her wedding...and sat a table with a redhead i had....ahhh...well....i had a lot...it was a very good time in life. 

I'll probably look back at that point in life as if viewing vintage wine from fine old kegs. From the brim to the dregs, and it poured sweet and clear. It was a very good year..but anyway...

I was so hopping everyone wasn't doing the calculus.   I might have been caught in a Mexican stand-off.   You might have found a marker that read Arch Stanton where i was laid to rest

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2