Ruger Security9

LostinTexas

• 3 months later...

If anyone is interested, and looking at the response here, I guess not.

I got the pistol and like all of them, took it out for a run like a rented mule from a man I hate. It made about 400 rounds and I was ready to call it good, but I noticed the release when cycled with a new mag (I don't use the slide release thanks to ingrained habits from a past life). I carried it out 3 more mags and the trigger failed to reset.

Called Ruger and got a human quickly. Nice guy, and we talked a bit. He said you broke your what? In how many rounds? Oh My!

Got a return label, and UPS wouldn't take the pistol. A whole other rant. Back to Academy and they were more than helpful. Sent it back and between waiting for the stores next pickup and the COVID, got it back in a month, almost to the day. It had a description of repairs, something the counter supervisor at Academy said she wasn't used to seeing, and they even polished the chamber since I mentioned some loads dragged a bit. I had already solved that, but they addressed it anyway, and did a much better job than I was willing to do at it. Less being more in my case.

Took her out to the range and began the process again. 500 rounds hammered through and 100 carry loads of 2 weights, and she is ready to go.

Nice handling gun, soft shooter, easy to operate. A lot of myth seems to be out there on this unit. It isn't a double action, striker fired, or new tech. It is a simple single action semi-internal hammer fired pistol. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, I like it. I do wish the safety switch was a bit larger, but after a few outings it is very easy to operate and getting used to it a little more. FWIW I like a thumb safety.

Cheers

• Sad 1

Friend bought one a while back.  Really loved the pistol.  I believe he traded it in on a Shield 6 months later.  Just wanted something smaller to CC.  He Really did like the pistol though!!

Enjoy your new gun!!  Sounds like Ruger gave you GREAT service too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

I don't think i've ever heard of anyone who didn't like that model of pistol.

Oddly enough, when looking into buying one, I had a very hard time finding anything not over two years old or from the initial release. Ruger has been a solid company through the years and though their product was rock solid, it was much like shooting a bread box to me. The new ones are sleek, ergonomic and seem to be just as reliable.

I've been Jonesing for one since the release, but life kept getting in the way. I bought a couple of 17 round mags for it, and they make for a nice addition. If I am shooting 9MM, then I want all the firepower I can get.

7 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

. Ruger has been a solid company through the years and though their product was rock solid, it was much like shooting a bread box to me.

Ruger has always made a solid firearm. 

The Mini-14 was hell on wheels until the AR market killed it.  With a few changes I think Bill Ruger could have put a dint in the early AR market.  To this day it's about one of the best truck guns a guy can have.  Good luck breaking it.   It might jam...once in a while....but keep it clean and lubed and it should run fine.

As for 9mm...today's 9mm is light years away from 9mm of 40 years ago.   I have a personal preference for heavy 147 grain bullets...but that's just me.  They'll do the job just fine if you do your part.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Historian said:

As for 9mm...today's 9mm is light years away from 9mm of 40 years ago.   I have a personal preference for heavy 147 grain bullets...but that's just me.  They'll do the job just fine if you do your part.

All of them are better than 40 years ago. The "New" tech has largely been around since the 90's, but minor improvements probably come along and are slipped in. Some are even big enough to market.

For the 9MM comment, I have reasons for my distaste, and don't talk about them much.