FATWOOD...

Glockzilla10mm

Since the wildfire in the GSMNF really good fatwood is harder to find in my area of TN...just burned up all over...I have a pecan tree and Pear Cactus in my yard but no pines...

Seems to be running about 6 to 9 bucks a pound everywhere on the net.

Crying shame...when I lived in NC and SC I had yard fulls of the stuff...

I'm looking for about 20 pounds.

Big box stores carry what they call fatwood.

You could sort thru 10 boxes and come up with barely passable material...but even that's $10 a box.

Anyone in the TN area have some available or know of a decent source??

It sucks when you don't have a supply, I got spoiled when I lived in the PNW. Here in the part of TX where I live now the only "fat wood" is the crap in stores. But we do have milk weed, and a few other things that work. I save my real fat wood, and got better at using other things that are local available it has made my fire starting a lot more versatile. 

In short no fat wood here, but I do have lots of flint laying around.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Fatwood, also known as "fat lighter," "lighter wood," "rich lighter," "pine knot," [1] "lighter knot," "heart pine" or "lighter'd" [sic], is derived from the heartwood of pine trees. This resin-impregnated heartwood becomes hard and rot-resistant. The stump (and tap root) left in the ground after a tree has fallen or has been cut is an excellent source of fatwood. Other locations, such as the joints where limbs intersect the trunk, can also be harvested. Although most resinous pines can produce fatwood, in the southeastern United States the wood is commonly associated with longleaf pine (Pinus palustris), which historically was highly valued for its high pitch production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwood

We called it Lighter Knot in the Army. You could start a fire with that stuff in a rainstorm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh heck yeah, when I hunted in south arkansas for years I would find pine knots to take home. When the sap runs down to the roots it would be an eight inch of sap on some of those roots. 

Heck yeah a hard rain couldn’t hardly put out a pine knot. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On October 4, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Old Buzzard said:

It sucks when you don't have a supply, I got spoiled when I lived in the PNW. Here in the part of TX where I live now the only "fat wood" is the crap in stores. But we do have milk weed, and a few other things that work. I save my real fat wood, and got better at using other things that are local available it has made my fire starting a lot more versatile. 

In short no fat wood here, but I do have lots of flint laying around.

Quartz here....meh.

flint or chirt?

6 hours ago, Glockzilla10mm said:

Quartz here....meh.

flint or chirt?

Chert I guess since limestone is everywhere here too. I just smack two rocks together and try a piece, if it makes sparks with my striker I use it, if not I try a different rocks until the sparks fly. I seldom have to break more than 2 rocks. That chert is everywhere. 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, Ramjet38 said:

I knowz the wimmins like fat wood.

I've heard that, but I only have skinny wood so I don't know.

For starting fires, kerosene works pretty well on whatever kindling you got, long as it is dry.

• Like 1