Anyone prepping for a pandemic?

On 2/9/2020 at 9:24 PM, Presguy said:

I've had half a dozen flights over the past 10ish days. The number of people wearing masks on planes is getting a bit silly.

A month or so ago (in ATL),  a full 20% of the people had them on.  Last week,  I saw only a couple.  I think they banned incoming flights from several countries.

Or,  I've heard everywhere is sold out of masks.  Even amazon. 

So you have to wear a 5gal jug on your head.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Yeah.. I was in ATL Sunday and Friday, and it wasn't as "bad" as I expected. 

SEA last week they were everywhere.

A buddy of mine works for LAX ground ops, and they had a couple enterprising people putting up posters offering to-the-terminal delivery of masks for the low low price of $50 each.

30% Asian population in the Seattle area. Lots of them travel to China and back, so everyone is getting a little nervous. My grandson (1/2 Asian) is on a swim team there that is almost completely comprised of Asians. Several of them just returned from China. The new year thing I think. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 6:39 PM, UHLAWPUP said:

Some medical professional on the internet.  Could have been CDC.  Use your Google-fu.

CDC does not say it does not work:

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html#one

That references this article which says it IS effective:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19115974

CONCLUSIONS:

HH with SW or alcohol-based hand rub is highly effective in reducing influenza A virus on human hands, although SW is the most effective intervention. Appropriate HH may be an important public health initiative to reduce pandemic and avian influenza transmission.

I don't use hand sanitizer, I have no dog in the hunt but I don't like bad data.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RenoF250 said:

CDC does not say it does not work:

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html#one

That references this article which says it IS effective:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19115974

CONCLUSIONS:

HH with SW or alcohol-based hand rub is highly effective in reducing influenza A virus on human hands, although SW is the most effective intervention. Appropriate HH may be an important public health initiative to reduce pandemic and avian influenza transmission.

I don't use hand sanitizer, I have no dog in the hunt but I don't like bad data.

It also is known to kill the most susceptible, while leaving out the most virulent.

I showed up at the local Sr Center for lunch today. Just me and one of my buddies sitting at our usual table. He was looking haggard. Well he is recovering from a bout of the flu. I kept my distance, and slathered on the sanitizer when I got back to the truck. I'll let you know if I survive. If I don't......well that noise you hear at night?....yeah, I'm haunting you bastards.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

It also is known to kill the most susceptible, while leaving out the most virulent.

Like everything, it depends.  I generally do not use it but if I am out visiting customers and one of them seems to have a cold and I forget and shake their hand I will use it if they have it in the lobby and nowhere to wash my hands.  I figure that can only help.

They say many do not use enough or the stuff they use is too weak, or their hands are greasy and that harbors the bugs.

Overall I would tend to agree it is a net negative and oversold but it does kill some viruses.

22 hours ago, janice6 said:

It seems like many places I go have hand sanitizer available, even the grocery store.  I don't use it my self.  Meanwhile I see almost everyone using it if it's available, except me.

I believe that I am the reason everyone is using it, but me.

It is odd that I have survived seventy years without ever using hand sanitizer other than soap and water.

And I have touched shopping carts after others have used them without a problem.

For seventy years.

I join 6 of janice as the patient zero of hand-spread diseases.

And we're coming for you.

:fred:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tous said:

It is odd that I have survived seventy years without ever using hand sanitizer other than soap and water.

And I have touched shopping carts after others have used them without a problem.

For seventy years.

You're right.  I should have added that I do believe in Soap and Water hand washing too.

But our "old school" says that minor exposures over extended times produces greater immunity.  Seems to work for me. 

My wife is careful of everything that might get her sick, but gets the Flu even if it's announced on TV.  I take care of her but I have never gotten the Flu that I know of.

I used to get frequent colds but since I quit smoking many years ago, it is an unusual experience for me if I get one now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, tous said:

For seventy years.

I use the sanitary wipes at the grocery store or Wally Mart to clean the cart handles. I've seen WAY to many jackwagons picking their noses while shopping. Disgusting cretins.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I expect we'll see more downward pressure.

agreed, amigo. big picture, a couple ounces of shiny stuff ain't gonna matter one way or another long term. I'm between 15 and 20 years out from retirement, so any hiccup now is just an irritant, and historically recoverable.

but then again, if I get the bat-eater flu, who cares what the stock market does?

also, are we all pretty much in agreement that this got loose from China's biochem lab, as opposed to coming from some 90-lb wok gourmet's bat head soup?

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 11:55 PM, astepup said:

I use the sanitary wipes at the grocery store or Wally Mart to clean the cart handles. I've seen WAY to many jackwagons picking their noses while shopping. Disgusting cretins.

Ever touch money?

Nothing else even compares.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Ever touch money?

Nothing else even compares.

Some years ago it was claimed that it was useless to check paper bills for Cocaine. since every single paper bill in the country now exhibited traces of it.  Every single bill.

Therefore, the quoted post must be correct also.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:55 AM, astepup said:

Exactly and the idiots who cough in their hands. It is disgusting. :rant2: